Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy Will Clothing Prices Drop?

Clothes here are outrageously expensive. I think even if they get rid of some of the taxes, the stores selling have the wrong mindset for selling clothes. It almost seems like they don't care if they sell in volume. They hold out even if it takes a long time to sell things for crazy high prices. Even accounting for taxes, they mark up clothes here very expensive. Sometimes it's the same with other stores too. Half these stores don't have the mindset to be a business owner.
You are correct. I have found businesses here to be some of the worst salesmen. Most times there is no logic at all. When things don't sell they don't lower their prices. Sometimes they will hold inventory for long periods of time and just wait for things to improve. Sometimes I think these businesses are just laundering money and not trying to profit. Makes no sense.

Half these stores don't have the mindset to be a business owner.
Totally agree with this statement. Many business owners have absolutely ZERO common sense at all in Argentina. For example, my interior designer showed me a photo of a dining room table from a company. She had never ordered from them before or done business with them. So I told her I needed to see an actual photo she took. I was also possibly buying 6 other dining room tables as we purchased 6 other apartments recently for clients and all of them need to be furnished. So I told her to arrange a viewing with the owner of that store and maybe we would buy 7 of them at the same time.

And these weren't cheap tables. These were $900 USD tables. Well the owner said they don't arrange showings and just ship it to the residence. In the middle of a recession, when I'm sure they aren't selling many tables, they can't be bothered to show the table. Odds are it was probably a scam but in Argentina you never know. Many businesses are really flaky there.

Totally agree with this statement. Many business owners have absolutely ZERO common sense at all in Argentina. For example, my interior designer showed me a photo of a dining room table from a company. She had never ordered from them before or done business with them. So I told her I needed to see an actual photo she took. I was also possibly buying 6 other dining room tables as we purchased 6 other apartments recently for clients and all of them need to be furnished. So I told her to arrange a viewing with the owner of that store and maybe we would buy 7 of them at the same time.

And these weren't cheap tables. These were $900 USD tables. Well the owner said they don't arrange showings and just ship it to the residence. In the middle of a recession, when I'm sure they aren't selling many tables, they can't be bothered to show the table. Odds are it was probably a scam but in Argentina you never know. Many businesses are really flaky there.
That is wild how lazy some companies are here. I have had similar experiences where it doesn't seem like companies care at all. Strange.

Clothes here are outrageously expensive. I think even if they get rid of some of the taxes, the stores selling have the wrong mindset for selling clothes. It almost seems like they don't care if they sell in volume. They hold out even if it takes a long time to sell things for crazy high prices. Even accounting for taxes, they mark up clothes here very expensive. Sometimes it's the same with other stores too. Half these stores don't have the mindset to be a business owner.
It’s no surprise they complain about not selling anything. With those ridiculous prices, no one’s going to buy! Clothing in Argentina has become a luxury. That’s a big reason sales are dropping. People just can’t afford to spend so much on clothes when basic necessities are already expensive. It’s a tough situation, businesses want to make a profit, but consumers are tapped out, especially with inflation and other economic issues.

Some business owners here in Argentina are some of the worst in the world. Many think you are doing them a favor. Many are very lazy here.

I get your frustration, but here in Argentina, there's a growing trend towards digital stores, which are really booming, especially among younger generations. Most people prefer to shop online now without needing to see the products in person, except maybe older folks who are still more comfortable with face-to-face interactions. I know it can seem strange, but a lot of businesses are leaning into the convenience of online sales. That said, I totally understand how the lack of personalized attention can be frustrating, especially for high-priced items like the ones you mentioned.

I get your frustration, but here in Argentina, there's a growing trend towards digital stores, which are really booming, especially among younger generations. Most people prefer to shop online now without needing to see the products in person, except maybe older folks who are still more comfortable with face-to-face interactions. I know it can seem strange, but a lot of businesses are leaning into the convenience of online sales. That said, I totally understand how the lack of personalized attention can be frustrating, especially for high-priced items like the ones you mentioned.
It's one thing to sell some electronics but another for a high-ticket furniture item. People there will need to learn better customer service and attention to detail if they want to really develop into a first world country.

Back