Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer "Yerba Mate" Argentina

You can buy yerba mate in several places, depending on your location. Here are some common options:

Supermarkets (yerba mate is usually available in the coffee and tea products section),International grocery stores, Natural or health food stores (These stores often offer a variety of yerba mate options, including some more specialized versions) and Online stores.

Remember that there are different varieties of yerba mate, such as traditional yerba mate, yerba mate with herbs or additional flavors. Good luck in your search and enjoy your yerba mate experience!

The most purchased are: Yerba mate Playadito, Amanda, Canarias, Rosamonte, Campesino, CBSe, Tucangua and La Merced.
Hey there, anyone have the inside scoop on where to snag some "yerba mate"? I'm a total newbie to this, and I'm eager to give it a shot. Any recommendations on which ones to buy would be awesome!

I just tried this Mate and it is very good! Cool story. It's by an American girl that moved to Argentina to start her own mate brand. You can buy it in Coto. Cósmico Yerba Mate.

I just tried this Mate and it is very good! Cool story. It's by an American girl that moved to Argentina to start her own mate brand. You can buy it in Coto. Cósmico Yerba Mate.

Interesting an American would start a mate company in Argentina. Definitely have to give her credit as it is a very very crowded space here locally. Maybe the goal is to export and sell it abroad but even then it is a tough space as many companies have been around forever. I'll have to try it and see how it's different.

My favorites are Taragui and Nobleza Gaucha are also very good. Nobleza Gaucha is smoother. They have been making mate since 1922 so around a long time.

That girl is in marketing. I follow her on IG. She doesn't live in Argentina I don't think. She lives in Florida if I remember right. I wonder how she will do. Online a bunch of people saying it is expensive compared to other existing brands. I've never had mate before and don't know what the differences are between them. It looks like a lot of brands out there already! Very interesting that many of the people that started the mate brands weren't from Argentina.

GT283VcXgAAxPDX.jpeg

I tried it. Nothing special. Expensive. More expensive than the other brands that taste better. Good luck against these companies that have been around for decades.

mate caro.jpeg

Thanks to the haters, their yerba went viral. I think the Argentinians went a bit overboard:

Some users commented that they would “cut off their hands before buying yerba from a Yankee” or asked, “What do these TikTokers know about the culture of yerba mate?” Others even accused them of “cultural appropriation.”

I think it's great that an American is starting up a new Mate company. Strange people are criticizing her at all. Argentina is one of the toughest places in the world to do business. I always admire people who start companies in Argentina and are successful. I was one of the first Americans to start a successful business in Buenos Aires over 22 years ago. When that happens, it opens the door for others to try improving Argentina.

I wish her the best of luck with her new venture.

My go-to mate is Playadito which is the best I think. I just went to Coto today to buy some after I saw it go viral. I wanted to support this American girl's brand. There aren't too much. You can see it's next to the Playadito which they have a ton out but only 2 bag rows. I saw 2 Porteños also buying and I asked them if they also saw it on X and they confirmed. We laughed about it.

This girl sounds like a marketing genius.

cosmico.jpeg

These are the best and most popular yerba brands in Argentina:

1722530437858.jpeg1722530514058.png

I really like the CbSé brand; it's delicious and popular. I've noticed there are two camps here: those who like classic yerba with a more bitter taste, and those who prefer smooth yerba, maybe with a few herbs for flavoring, like CbSé. I have to admit, I’ve become a fan of this brand, and they also offer a lot of variety.

Here's a link with information about the different brands and their characteristics.

My go-to mate is Playadito which is the best I think. I just went to Coto today to buy some after I saw it go viral. I wanted to support this American girl's brand. There aren't too much. You can see it's next to the Playadito which they have a ton out but only 2 bag rows. I saw 2 Porteños also buying and I asked them if they also saw it on X and they confirmed. We laughed about it.

This girl sounds like a marketing genius.

View attachment 6784
I hope after the initial buzz people still buy it. Hard to get locals to switch their favorite brands. I was watching a video where the girl's husband admitted it's not the best quality nor the worst quality of mate. But it's priced as if it was the best so will see how it sells over the long haul. Great to see people starting a new business in Argentina. The mark up on mate must be huge if so many are going into it.

Back