Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

10 Specialty Coffee Shops in BA

Since some people were asking about good quality coffee in BA here's a curated list. One thing to note is that some of these may prepare a 'real' italian espresso and a real espresso is bitter in general. Also these places usually sell high quality fresh coffee beans.

https://expatpathways.com/the-best-specialty-coffee-shops-in-buenos-aires/
Thanks @enbits. I have been to Padre and Cuervo in Palermo and are pretty good. I saw the other coffee thread and I think more and more of the newer places are getting better quality beans. Almost every tourist I have talked to or expat agrees the coffee here isn't that great but there are some good ones too.

Thanks @enbits. I have been to Padre and Cuervo in Palermo and are pretty good. I saw the other coffee thread and I think more and more of the newer places are getting better quality beans. Almost every tourist I have talked to or expat agrees the coffee here isn't that great but there are some good ones too.
I agree Padre is excellent! I posted a review of it in December.

I went to Shelter Coffee in Retiro and quality was very good. It's on the most beautiful street in the city, Arroyo. Have a wonderful coffee and carrot cake. I went to Kaldi in Soho and they also have a delicious carrot cake which is my favorite but I didn't think the coffee was that good but maybe I had an off day. My husband also didn't think his cafe late was that special.

Since some people were asking about good quality coffee in BA here's a curated list. One thing to note is that some of these may prepare a 'real' italian espresso and a real espresso is bitter in general. Also these places usually sell high quality fresh coffee beans.

https://expatpathways.com/the-best-specialty-coffee-shops-in-buenos-aires/
Thanks for posting the list @enbits. I started googling for some good cafes yesterday.

Evaristo Cafe is one of the best in the city. They have excellent coffee beans here. Also try the Apple Crumble there. Heavenly!

YES! This is actually one place I found yesterday. I thought the coffee was great and going to go and buy some beans. It's right by Levando Bakery which I really like.

Thanks for posting the list @enbits. I started googling for some good cafes yesterday.

YES! This is actually one place I found yesterday. I thought the coffee was great and going to go and buy some beans. It's right by Levando Bakery which I really like.
Yeah Evaristo is solid. So is Levando. Just a few blocks from one another.

I went to Shelter Coffee in Retiro and quality was very good. It's on the most beautiful street in the city, Arroyo. Have a wonderful coffee and carrot cake. I went to Kaldi in Soho and they also have a delicious carrot cake which is my favorite but I didn't think the coffee was that good but maybe I had an off day. My husband also didn't think his cafe late was that special.
There's another coffe shop / bakery on that same sreet that sells amazing scons and croissants. Arroyo is the most parisinne street in BA with historical buildings designed by French architects. https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZoinpWN7rgz3ufA37

I am also a fan of Padres.

Evaristo Cafe is one of the best in the city. They have excellent coffee beans here. Also try the Apple Crumble there. Heavenly!

Yep. I like Evaristo and also Padre. I'm not even a huge coffee drinker. Cafes have gotten much better over the past 2 decades. I think it keeps improving. I remember when Starbucks first came to BA. I tried even buying a franchise but they weren't selling them. The first one was the one at Alto Palermo Shopping Mall and people were hesitant that it would work there because the so called cafe culture there in BA. But I knew it would work. I hate Starbucks in the USA but down there the coffee was so bad I figured the younger generations would like it. There were 2 hour lines when Starbucks first opened a the rest is history. They are all over there now.

There are many specialty coffee houses. Thanks for posting that article @enbits. I think the best thing people can do is share great information. As people get more educated and start going to the good places, more competition is forced to compete and improve and then everyone wins. This has been the case in Buenos Aires over the past 22 years down there.

Many, many places 20+ years ago were horrible but now the city is evolving and changing and improving in so many ways.

These places are all very expensive now. The coffee quality has improved in BA over the years but the prices are very dear.

Back