Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer A Large Percentage of Argentinians Want to Be Digital Nomads: A Growing Trend!

Russell

A group of Argentinians was surveyed about the possibility of working remotely, and 72% of respondents said they would like to be digital nomads. They emphasize that this trend allows workers to travel more frequently and live in different places around the world without compromising their job performance.
I think Argentina needs to evolve a bit towards this trend that offers more flexibility to workers.

A group of Argentinians was surveyed about the possibility of working remotely, and 72% of respondents said they would like to be digital nomads. They emphasize that this trend allows workers to travel more frequently and live in different places around the world without compromising their job performance.
I think Argentina needs to evolve a bit towards this trend that offers more flexibility to workers.

I'm sure most Argentinians just want to make $USD or some stable currency. Majority of Argentineans don't speak English so remote jobs would mostly be impossible to most of them. English fluency level needs to be very good in order to work remote for many jobs.

Yes, definitely knowing English is a skill that opens many doors. What is the process here in Argentina? Is there a special visa for digital nomads?
I posted a ton of information about digital nomad visa for Argentina here -

I'm sure most Argentinians just want to make $USD or some stable currency. Majority of Argentineans don't speak English so remote jobs would mostly be impossible to most of them. English fluency level needs to be very good in order to work remote for many jobs.
There are a lot of software developers, graphic designers, recruiters among other professions that work remotely for US companies. I'm one of those doing it since 2015 and I'm a sort of slow-digital-nomad. I have colleagues that got digital nomad visas from Europe, another one went to live to Vietnam and another one is nomading all over the world. There are remote workers from Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Mexico... you name it. We are not a majority but not a minority neither.

There are a lot of software developers, graphic designers, recruiters among other professions that work remotely for US companies. I'm one of those doing it since 2015 and I'm a sort of slow-digital-nomad. I have colleagues that got digital nomad visas from Europe, another one went to live to Vietnam and another one is nomading all over the world. There are remote workers from Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Mexico... you name it. We are not a majority but not a minority neither.
That is awesome @enbits. So you are an Argentine? I always wondered if people prefer traveling and living abroad in Spain or other places or staying put in Buenos Aires if they are making dollars or Euros. Cost of living in BA I would think is less expensive than other countries but several people that I met in Buenos Aires have recently moved to Spain.

I was surprised with how many developers there are in BA. What kind of salaries do software developers, graphic designers and recruiters make that are working in Argentina?

One friend that I have does some digital marketing in BA for an American company and is making around $1,800 per month. He always tells me that there is no place like home and loves BA minus the economic problems. But I joke with him that $1,800 per month in the USA and he would be homeless in most cities.

That is awesome @enbits. So you are an Argentine? I always wondered if people prefer traveling and living abroad in Spain or other places or staying put in Buenos Aires if they are making dollars or Euros. Cost of living in BA I would think is less expensive than other countries but several people that I met in Buenos Aires have recently moved to Spain.

I was surprised with how many developers there are in BA. What kind of salaries do software developers, graphic designers and recruiters make that are working in Argentina?

One friend that I have does some digital marketing in BA for an American company and is making around $1,800 per month. He always tells me that there is no place like home and loves BA minus the economic problems. But I joke with him that $1,800 per month in the USA and he would be homeless in most cities.
It depends on each one's personality, life goals, etc. Personally it was great for a while earning US$ in Argentina but when it comes to make medium / small investments like buying a car or a house it's really troublesome since it's almost impossible to get money from abroad legally. Now I'm in Colombia and if things improve with Milei and it becomes a real liberal low tax country I will go back otherwise I'll stay here.

I can only speak for software developers... salaries could be decent enough to have a good quality of life in any European country. We are contactors, not employees so we have to be smart with the money we earn but US$ 1,800 is on the low-end for software developers.

It depends on each one's personality, life goals, etc. Personally it was great for a while earning US$ in Argentina but when it comes to make medium / small investments like buying a car or a house it's really troublesome since it's almost impossible to get money from abroad legally. Now I'm in Colombia and if things improve with Milei and it becomes a real liberal low tax country I will go back otherwise I'll stay here.

I can only speak for software developers... salaries could be decent enough to have a good quality of life in any European country. We are contactors, not employees so we have to be smart with the money we earn but US$ 1,800 is on the low-end for software developers.
Thanks for those details. It is helpful. How are things in Colombia @enbits? What city are you in? I visited Medellin a few months ago and the gringo sentiment was not too good plus many gringos were getting murdered and robbed. Have things improved there? I visited some other cities in Colombia like Cartagena, Bogota and Cali but didn't like them for one reason or another.

In case anyone is interested in this new visa program, Digital Nomad included, announced yesterday by Thailand.
Thanks @Jakoval. I wish other countries would make long term digital nomad visas like Thailand. Thailand has a common sense approach and getting more popular with digital nomads. A beautiful country with nice people and great food.

Thailand is nice but just came across this today for Bangkok. Strange. I have stayed in this hotel before.

That's really strange. I've never heard of anything like that happening at that hotel before, and it's right in the middle of everything. I've been to the bar in the basement there a few times, and it's very nice.

That's really strange. I've never heard of anything like that happening at that hotel before, and it's right in the middle of everything. I've been to the bar in the basement there a few times, and it's very nice.
Thanks for all the great info on the Thailand Digital Nomad visa. I went to Thailand 2 years ago and really loved it. I've been to over 500+ cities around the world in 85 countries and I think the people of Thailand are some of the friendliest and nicest in the world. The food is out of this world good. Very affordable too. It has become very popular with digital nomads for good reason. If it wasn't so hot there would be far more expats there.

Strange about that incident but that sounds like some very isolated incident. I found it totally safe and we went all over the country. Very safe country.

Thanks for all the great info on the Thailand Digital Nomad visa. I went to Thailand 2 years ago and really loved it. I've been to over 500+ cities around the world in 85 countries and I think the people of Thailand are some of the friendliest and nicest in the world. The food is out of this world good. Very affordable too. It has become very popular with digital nomads for good reason. If it wasn't so hot there would be far more expats there.

Strange about that incident but that sounds like some very isolated incident. I found it totally safe and we went all over the country. Very safe country.
Over there, a simple walk at any time, day or night, anywhere is safe, which is somehow considered a luxury here. I've been here for a while, but I'm still not used to that idea.

Back