Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer A Large Percentage of Argentinians Want to Be Digital Nomads: A Growing Trend!

Over there, a simple walk at any time, day or night, anywhere is safe, which is somehow considered a luxury here. I've been here for a while, but I'm still not used to that idea.
Yes, everywhere we went really in all of Thailand you could walk around any time or day/night. But in Buenos Aires in the neighborhoods that I'd be in late at night I've never had issues and don't hesitate to walk around no matter how late it is. But I am really only in Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Puerto Madero late at night. I probably wouldn't do that in a few neighborhoods. Even parts of San Telmo can get sketchy at night. But in those other neighborhoods I don't care how late it is, I've walked home many times even at 3 AM without any fear or issues.

Which neighborhoods are you referring to @Jakoval that you are hesitant to walk around in?

Yes, everywhere we went really in all of Thailand you could walk around any time or day/night. But in Buenos Aires in the neighborhoods that I'd be in late at night I've never had issues and don't hesitate to walk around no matter how late it is. But I am really only in Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Puerto Madero late at night. I probably wouldn't do that in a few neighborhoods. Even parts of San Telmo can get sketchy at night. But in those other neighborhoods I don't care how late it is, I've walked home many times even at 3 AM without any fear or issues.

Which neighborhoods are you referring to @Jakoval that you are hesitant to walk around in?
I agree that most of the touristy neighborhoods are very safe. But still parts of CABA you have to be careful. I have friends who got mugged in San Telmo, Congreso, Montserrat, La Boca, Constitucion and Barracas, and a few others late at night.

map.jpg

Thanks for those details. It is helpful. How are things in Colombia @enbits? What city are you in? I visited Medellin a few months ago and the gringo sentiment was not too good plus many gringos were getting murdered and robbed. Have things improved there? I visited some other cities in Colombia like Cartagena, Bogota and Cali but didn't like them for one reason or another.

Thanks @Jakoval. I wish other countries would make long term digital nomad visas like Thailand. Thailand has a common sense approach and getting more popular with digital nomads. A beautiful country with nice people and great food.

Bogotá, I like the weather (not a fan of hot summers) groceries shops are much better (Carulla, Exito, etc) and I like the fact that it's near everything and is cheaper to fly compared to Argentina. I don't like the traffic, the city is not a walkable at all so I miss BA's walkability and architecture and of course the steaks!

There are a decent amount of countries that offer digital nomad visas with tax benefits like Portugal, Spain, Italy and so on. Most of those need to be renewed yearly but you can get residency after 5 years.

Just about anywhere in general. You just go. You'd never have to think that oh this 'hood is dangerous etc. And the fact that there are still lockers in front of supermarkets and shops and you can't bring your bags in or you have to show that your bags are empty at check-out still bothers me. We don't have that kind of thing. It's just a different world here and over there.

Bogotá, I like the weather (not a fan of hot summers) groceries shops are much better (Carulla, Exito, etc) and I like the fact that it's near everything and is cheaper to fly compared to Argentina. I don't like the traffic, the city is not a walkable at all so I miss BA's walkability and architecture and of course the steaks!

There are a decent amount of countries that offer digital nomad visas with tax benefits like Portugal, Spain, Italy and so on. Most of those need to be renewed yearly but you can get residency after 5 years.
Botoga weather is nice as it's not hot but that traffic there is horrible! Also not walkable like Buenos Aires is like you mentioned. I could never handle Bogota.

I am not a fan of Bogotá either. The traffic there is a nightmare. Most of my friends there have to own 2 cars as you can't even drive your car every day. So much traffic they have to alternate based on the license plate. Argentina IS a long haul away from the USA which is a disadvantage but I guess if you're not going to the USA much it's kind of a moot point. I love that Buenos Aires is so walkable. I just find that it's a much more beautiful city. I love the European lifestyle and BA is the closest thing in South America.

I'm also not a big fan of Colombian food. There are only so many arepas and empanadas you can eat. :D

Just about anywhere in general. You just go. You'd never have to think that oh this 'hood is dangerous etc. And the fact that there are still lockers in front of supermarkets and shops and you can't bring your bags in or you have to show that your bags are empty at check-out still bothers me. We don't have that kind of thing. It's just a different world here and over there.
Yes, I loved that about Thailand. You never have to worry about anywhere you go. I was really amazed with all the temples they have that aren't guarded at all and no one steals anything from them is amazing. In most of Latin America, people would rob it blind. My daughter is studying abroad right now in Seoul and she was amazed that several stores don't even have any employees scanning items and just honest about scanning and paying for things.

Meanwhile we see what happens at the Copa America soccer game in Miami. You can take the Latino out of Latin America but you can't take the Latin America out of the Latino.

@enbits how is the cost of living in Colombia vs. Buenos Aires? Colombians I find are much friendlier overall vs. Argentines. Agree with the others about traffic there. It seems like traffic is always bad no matter what time of day it is there.

I also didn't like the steak there. I asked someone when I was in Bogota where the best steaks were. They directed me to Andres Carne de Res and I got a steak there and nothing compared to Argentina. I was surprised how mediocre the steak was there. A few of my friends there told me not to walk at all at night. Not even a few minutes when we left one bar. Do you find crime an issue there?

I liked the Zona T area. Was very convenient but we just walked around in that area as traffic was horrible. I always read about the bad traffic but until you are there you can't appreciate how bad it is.

@enbits how is the cost of living in Colombia vs. Buenos Aires? Colombians I find are much friendlier overall vs. Argentines. Agree with the others about traffic there. It seems like traffic is always bad no matter what time of day it is there.

I also didn't like the steak there. I asked someone when I was in Bogota where the best steaks were. They directed me to Andres Carne de Res and I got a steak there and nothing compared to Argentina. I was surprised how mediocre the steak was there. A few of my friends there told me not to walk at all at night. Not even a few minutes when we left one bar. Do you find crime an issue there?

I liked the Zona T area. Was very convenient but we just walked around in that area as traffic was horrible. I always read about the bad traffic but until you are there you can't appreciate how bad it is.
With the new dollar rate in Argentina now Colombia is cheaper in most areas and tax-friendlier. For example I'm travelling to Europe in a couple of months and the tickets are half price compared to Argentina. Food is now cheaper or about the same, clothing and technology much cheaper. None of this will improve in Argentina until the 'CEPO' is removed...

There are some argentinean steak houses where you can eat real argentinian meet, there's a place near Zona T called 'La Brasserie' that sells argentinean rib-eye.

Zona T, Parque de la 93 are pretty safe areas, up north Bella Suiza / Usaquen and Cedritos are good neighborhoods. I've been here for about 3 years (on and off) and never been robed (I'm not a late party kind of person though). Overall in the upscale areas I feel safer here than in BA.

Over there, a simple walk at any time, day or night, anywhere is safe, which is somehow considered a luxury here. I've been here for a while, but I'm still not used to that idea.
Thailand is one of the best places! Friendliest people in the world.
I was amazed with how safe Buenos Aires was. I roamed around very late at night and walked all over and I never felt threatened at all. I was blown away that I could finish an asado with new friends at 2:30 AM and walk around and still see people eating in restaurants that late. Or at coffee shops.

I did get lost one night and ended up in a very shady part of town but it was ok. Uber driver managed to high-tail it out of there. I laughed about it later.

@enbits that is one thing that I noticed in Buenos Aires. Plane tickets and airfare here is very expensive. Do you have any estimates or ideas when the CEPO will be removed? I want to travel more in South America and have Colombia on my list. thanks for mentioning that restaurant. I will add it to my list. I'm glad you are enjoying Colombia. Never been but I was wondering how things are. I was watching the Copa America the other night and my Colombian friend was very embarrassed at how the Colombians were reacting at the game sneaking in.

Last edited:
With the new dollar rate in Argentina now Colombia is cheaper in most areas and tax-friendlier. For example I'm travelling to Europe in a couple of months and the tickets are half price compared to Argentina. Food is now cheaper or about the same, clothing and technology much cheaper. None of this will improve in Argentina until the 'CEPO' is removed...

There are some argentinean steak houses where you can eat real argentinian meet, there's a place near Zona T called 'La Brasserie' that sells argentinean rib-eye.

Zona T, Parque de la 93 are pretty safe areas, up north Bella Suiza / Usaquen and Cedritos are good neighborhoods. I've been here for about 3 years (on and off) and never been robed (I'm not a late party kind of person though). Overall in the upscale areas I feel safer here than in BA.

In case anyone is interested in this new visa program, Digital Nomad included, announced yesterday by Thailand.
One night in Bangkok will make a hard man humble. :)

Seriously I loved my trip there. Beautiful beaches and people. Some of the best food I had in Asia. I haven't met anyone who goes through the time and trouble of getting Digital Nomad visa for Argentina. Why would you spin your wheels getting that and applying when you can overstay? Seriously why would anyone do that? Argentina has to be the easiest place to come and stay as long as you want and only paying an overstay fee. No reason to apply that I can see.
I didn't have any problems at all in Buenos Aires. I am an obvious gringo and people were friendly everywhere. In San Telmo late at night someone warned me to be careful with my iPhone walking late but other than some drunk guys that were chatting with me and a bit too friendly and wanted to talk, I just walked away. A woman going up to her apartment told me it wasn't a good idea to walk around at night.

@enbits I thought Bogota overall was an ugly city. It would be difficult for me to go from a really beautiful and walkable city like BA and move to Bogota. But glad you are enjoying it. My friend lived in Bella Suiza and it was very nice. I mostly hang out in Zona T and a fun area. I think the woman are much funner and more beautiful in Colombia vs. Buenos Aires. Colombia has some really beautiful and approachable females. Many of the girls in BA come across as stuck up or not as friendly.

I also visited Rio a few weeks ago and wow was it a fun city! Very beautiful city. What made you pick Bogota @enbits? Probably a girl?

Yes, I loved that about Thailand. You never have to worry about anywhere you go. I was really amazed with all the temples they have that aren't guarded at all and no one steals anything from them is amazing. In most of Latin America, people would rob it blind. My daughter is studying abroad right now in Seoul and she was amazed that several stores don't even have any employees scanning items and just honest about scanning and paying for things.

Meanwhile we see what happens at the Copa America soccer game in Miami. You can take the Latino out of Latin America but you can't take the Latin America out of the Latino.
I mentioned a few months ago that my partner's police officer sister was robbed at gunpoint and her car was taken. Guess what? Last month, the same thing happened to my partner's brother in law while he was driving Didi. People don't rob your car like that where I come from. And here two people in my family got their cars robbed within the span of 3 months like it's normal. It's so true about what you mentioned about what happened in Miami during the ball game 🤣🤣🤣

@enbits I thought Bogota overall was an ugly city. It would be difficult for me to go from a really beautiful and walkable city like BA and move to Bogota. But glad you are enjoying it. My friend lived in Bella Suiza and it was very nice. I mostly hang out in Zona T and a fun area. I think the woman are much funner and more beautiful in Colombia vs. Buenos Aires. Colombia has some really beautiful and approachable females. Many of the girls in BA come across as stuck up or not as friendly.

I also visited Rio a few weeks ago and wow was it a fun city! Very beautiful city. What made you pick Bogota @enbits? Probably a girl?
I lived all my life in Argentina, and I probably will get back, but working remotely and earning in US$ for over 10 years in a country where you can't get the money in is not fun so I had to try something else.

Taxes in Colombia are low and timezone is aligned with EST so it's great for remote workers and for investing. I'm also considering getting a DN visa somewhere in Europe, looking at Italy specifically we'll see...

I mentioned a few months ago that my partner's police officer sister was robbed at gunpoint and her car was taken. Guess what? Last month, the same thing happened to my partner's brother in law while he was driving Didi. People don't rob your car like that where I come from. And here two people in my family got their cars robbed within the span of 3 months like it's normal. It's so true about what you mentioned about what happened in Miami during the ball game 🤣🤣🤣
Wow! I'm sorry to hear about that @Jakoval! That must have been so scary. What neighborhood was this in?? I heard crime has gone up quite a bit. I see more smashed car windows than usual. But could there be something else going on like revenge or people mad at your partner's family? 2 people in the same family 3 weeks apart? That is shocking to hear that.

Sometimes I forget how bad things can be outside of the bubble of some of the more upscale neighborhoods here. I've lived here for years but don't have any need to venture outside to other areas. We go up to Pilar where my wife's family owns a house on the weekends but are fortunate not to have run into problems.

My one fear with this recession was crime and safety and hearing your story about your family members is scary. I hope they are doing ok. What do these thieves do with the cars? Just sell spare parts or do they take them to Paraguay or over the border?

I lived all my life in Argentina, and I probably will get back, but working remotely and earning in US$ for over 10 years in a country where you can't get the money in is not fun so I had to try something else.

Taxes in Colombia are low and timezone is aligned with EST so it's great for remote workers and for investing. I'm also considering getting a DN visa somewhere in Europe, looking at Italy specifically we'll see...
Most of my Argentinean friends that leave Buenos Aires yearn to come back as they really love the city and their country. No place like it. @enbits can't you just use a cueva to get funds in? I would think if you're working remote they can wire to any reputable cueva. The one I use I just wire to a US bank. Couldn't you use that? There is a fee involved of usually 3% to 4% so maybe that adds up. And then can't you just declare what you want via monotributo? Some of my friends just declare a smaller portion of what they are really making to avoid taxes and then use cuevas to have their employers wire to them each month but they do have to pay the fee to the cueva.

Hopefully Milei makes it easier in the future. It is a crying shame that someone like you has to go move out of Argentina all because of the crazy banking and currency restrictions here. They need to get rid of CEPO ASAP.

@Jakoval my mind was going where @Wally was mentioning about possibly someone that has a grudge against your partner's family? Could this be targeted? 2 times in such a short time span seems suspicious. Coming from such a safe country, do you resent living here? If you could move back to your home country would you? I can tolerate a lot of things about Argentina but safety and crime are not something I could handle having 2 kids.

As it stands, we are heading back to NYC later this year. Part of me will be sad but a big part of me feels relieved to be moving back to a first world country.

Most of my Argentinean friends that leave Buenos Aires yearn to come back as they really love the city and their country. No place like it. @enbits can't you just use a cueva to get funds in? I would think if you're working remote they can wire to any reputable cueva. The one I use I just wire to a US bank. Couldn't you use that? There is a fee involved of usually 3% to 4% so maybe that adds up. And then can't you just declare what you want via monotributo? Some of my friends just declare a smaller portion of what they are really making to avoid taxes and then use cuevas to have their employers wire to them each month but they do have to pay the fee to the cueva.

Hopefully Milei makes it easier in the future. It is a crying shame that someone like you has to go move out of Argentina all because of the crazy banking and currency restrictions here. They need to get rid of CEPO ASAP.
I've been using 'crypto-cuevas' before they existed XD but always limited to 1000 US$ per month for monotributo and not being able to declare the rest legally. Fortunately we have the new 'Monotributo' law that allows you to get US$ ~5,6K per month but paying 15% taxes compared to 7% that I would pay here.

So yeah I'm waiting for the CEPO to be removed, looks like it will happen when Trump gets elected...

I've been using 'crypto-cuevas' before they existed XD but always limited to 1000 US$ per month for monotributo and not being able to declare the rest legally. Fortunately we have the new 'Monotributo' law that allows you to get US$ ~5,6K per month but paying 15% taxes compared to 7% that I would pay here.

So yeah I'm waiting for the CEPO to be removed, looks like it will happen when Trump gets elected...
I saw that about the monotributo increase which is great news. Before no one cared to declare all their income but with mortgages entering the picture it will be interesting to see if they take hold like in the 90's when mortgages were more common. I saw the BCRA today announced they are going to try to repurchase all the puts which is essential for the lifting of CEPO. I agree with you @enbits it will happen after Trump gets elected.

USA is wasting billions and billions of dollars in Ukraine and can't see that continuing. Argentina and USA relationship will be stronger than ever once Trump gets elected. He and Milei have hit it off very well.

GSpjmBaXQAAim86.jpeg

I saw that about the monotributo increase which is great news. Before no one cared to declare all their income but with mortgages entering the picture it will be interesting to see if they take hold like in the 90's when mortgages were more common. I saw the BCRA today announced they are going to try to repurchase all the puts which is essential for the lifting of CEPO. I agree with you @enbits it will happen after Trump gets elected.

USA is wasting billions and billions of dollars in Ukraine and can't see that continuing. Argentina and USA relationship will be stronger than ever once Trump gets elected. He and Milei have hit it off very well.

View attachment 6701
I just read about that Vince.

@Jakoval my mind was going where @Wally was mentioning about possibly someone that has a grudge against your partner's family? Could this be targeted? 2 times in such a short time span seems suspicious. Coming from such a safe country, do you resent living here? If you could move back to your home country would you? I can tolerate a lot of things about Argentina but safety and crime are not something I could handle having 2 kids.

As it stands, we are heading back to NYC later this year. Part of me will be sad but a big part of me feels relieved to be moving back to a first world country.

When crime is so prevalent in this country, I don't think it's a grudge but a common occurrence which is sad. I don't know if I resent living here but life back home is definitely much easier and safer. I'm here for the time being so we shall see what happens. A couple of my friends visited Buenos Aires about two months ago for a few days and I told them not to expect much before they came. The only expectation they should have was to have good steak and wine and enjoy the beautiful city. I had to explain to them now the currency works, etc. I told them if a 7-11 from any Asian country was placed here, it would become a new attraction and the line would be 5km long just to get a Slurpee or something. That's how I felt when I saw argentinos in barrio chino, like kids going to Disneyland.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about that @Jakoval! That must have been so scary. What neighborhood was this in?? I heard crime has gone up quite a bit. I see more smashed car windows than usual. But could there be something else going on like revenge or people mad at your partner's family? 2 people in the same family 3 weeks apart? That is shocking to hear that.

Sometimes I forget how bad things can be outside of the bubble of some of the more upscale neighborhoods here. I've lived here for years but don't have any need to venture outside to other areas. We go up to Pilar where my wife's family owns a house on the weekends but are fortunate not to have run into problems.

My one fear with this recession was crime and safety and hearing your story about your family members is scary. I hope they are doing ok. What do these thieves do with the cars? Just sell spare parts or do they take them to Paraguay or over the border?
They all live around Isidro Casanova and further in that zone aka 'the walking dead'. I know. Whenever I mention this barrio to people, there's always some sort of reaction :ROFLMAO: I was told it's better if the car isn't found once stolen. That way you get money from the insurance company. I'm not sure how it works or what happens to the car after it's stolen, though.

When crime is so prevalent in this country, I don't think it's a grudge but a common occurrence which is sad. I don't know if I resent living here but life back home is definitely much easier and safer. I'm here for the time being so we shall see what happens. A couple of my friends visited Buenos Aires about two months ago for a few days and I told them not to expect much before they came. The only expectation they should have was to have good steak and wine and enjoy the beautiful city. I had to explain to them now the currency works, etc. I told them if a 7-11 from any Asian country was placed here, it would become a new attraction and the line would be 5km long just to get a Slurpee or something. That's how I felt when I saw argentinos in barrio chino, like kids going to Disneyland.

They all live around Isidro Casanova and further in that zone aka 'the walking dead'. I know. Whenever I mention this barrio to people, there's always some sort of reaction :ROFLMAO: I was told it's better if the car isn't found once stolen. That way you get money from the insurance company. I'm not sure how it works or what happens to the car after it's stolen, though.
It is good to hear about these experiences outside of touristy areas. I met a few people who worked in restaurants or bars and I was surprised how many commute in from outside of the city. I met several who lived in Quilmes which is a hike outside of the city. I didn't see much crime at all but I read something like 10,000 cellphones per day get stolen. Never heard that type of statistic before!

@Jakoval did your friends like their trip? I posted a few posts about some things being overrated. The city is nice enough but I would go crazy living here I think. Chinatown is crazy busy on the weekends. I went there a few times while I was in town but the lines were too long at restaurants. I didn't think the food was all that good there either. BA is a beautiful city so I will give it that.

Sorry to hear about the stolen cars. That is wild about two family members both getting their cars stolen. I guess BA isn't as safe as I thought.

Back