Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

A newsletter for expats in Buenos Aires

hey no one paid to be included there. I basically spent a bunch of time interviewing dozens of expats, scouring Facebook threads, and then double-checking their contact info/social media. Pretty much all of them have been recommended somewhere on the internet (Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, etc.) by another expat. I included some people I personally used but I didn't buy an apartment here so I hit up a few people I know who did it and they recommended realtors, escribanos, etc.

If I only had the people I personally used, the list would be much shorter hah. This way I'm basically compiling everyone's recommendations and then double checking that the info is correct (a lot of times they have an expired website or deleted IG account, etc.)

hey no one paid to be included there. I basically spent a bunch of time interviewing dozens of expats, scouring Facebook threads, and then double-checking their contact info/social media. Pretty much all of them have been recommended somewhere on the internet (Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, etc.) by another expat. I included some people I personally used but I didn't buy an apartment here so I hit up a few people I know who did it and they recommended realtors, escribanos, etc.

If I only had the people I personally used, the list would be much shorter hah. This way I'm basically compiling everyone's recommendations and then double checking that the info is correct (a lot of times they have an expired website or deleted IG account, etc.)
This is GREAT! I've seen these kinds of things in other countries before and it was just a case of people advertising to make money so this is great. I will check it out.

Thanks!

Also - I really don't pretend to be an expert on Argentina.

I just spend A LOT of time interviewing people and writing things down.

Customers get lifetime access to the guide and all updates (I already have a backlog of 20 ideas to implement - everything from video interviews with the lawyers to interactive maps).

So if enough people tell me they want something changed or adapted, it's going to happen.

I'm always open to suggestions :)

Thanks!

Also - I really don't pretend to be an expert on Argentina.

I just spend A LOT of time interviewing people and writing things down.

Customers get lifetime access to the guide and all updates (I already have a backlog of 20 ideas to implement - everything from video interviews with the lawyers to interactive maps).

So if enough people tell me they want something changed or adapted, it's going to happen.

I'm always open to suggestions :)
I believe this can be helpful. But also keeping in mind just because one person had a good experience doesn't necessarily mean that person will be good for others. I have had so many situations where someone had a good experience and then I tried them and it was a bad experience or vice versa. I realize it's difficult to make a big guidebook and have it based on many people having a great experience. It is good that you are willing to update it. My advice is to get feedback from people and if someone has a negative experience to possibly update.

I believe this can be helpful. But also keeping in mind just because one person had a good experience doesn't necessarily mean that person will be good for others. I have had so many situations where someone had a good experience and then I tried them and it was a bad experience or vice versa. I realize it's difficult to make a big guidebook and have it based on many people having a great experience. It is good that you are willing to update it. My advice is to get feedback from people and if someone has a negative experience to possibly update.
I completely agree - that's why I have a "feedback/suggestions" part of the membership area. The customers can leave feedback with services and if several people report a decline in service I'll remove the person. Also they can recommend other services that might be useful. That's why it being a paid website that's easily updatable is so important to me.

For example, I recently had to do an MRI of my knees. I got quotes from laboratories ranging from 230,000 pesos to 370,000 pesos, which I thought was a bit steep. I then asked around, and found a laboratory a bit farther out that did it for 124,000 pesos - so I just saved $100-$200 there. I'm going to include them in the guide so if I can help someone else save money that way it makes the guide worth it.

I completely agree - that's why I have a "feedback/suggestions" part of the membership area. The customers can leave feedback with services and if several people report a decline in service I'll remove the person. Also they can recommend other services that might be useful. That's why it being a paid website that's easily updatable is so important to me.

For example, I recently had to do an MRI of my knees. I got quotes from laboratories ranging from 230,000 pesos to 370,000 pesos, which I thought was a bit steep. I then asked around, and found a laboratory a bit farther out that did it for 124,000 pesos - so I just saved $100-$200 there. I'm going to include them in the guide so if I can help someone else save money that way it makes the guide worth it.
Sure but you may want to participate and share some information as well publicly vs. only a paid service. I'm not saying you need to share everything. Not at all. But people might be more willing to subscribe if you are sharing good information on this or other forums vs. just trying to change and make $$$.

That way you can get known to the community. Maybe make a username with the name of your company so people become aware of your company. I'm not sure if that is allowed on this forum but you mentioned in your first post you got permission to post.

Sure but you may want to participate and share some information as well publicly vs. only a paid service. I'm not saying you need to share everything. Not at all. But people might be more willing to subscribe if you are sharing good information on this or other forums vs. just trying to change and make $$$.

That way you can get known to the community. Maybe make a username with the name of your company so people become aware of your company. I'm not sure if that is allowed on this forum but you mentioned in your first post you got permission to post.
I agree with this approach. I'd be much more willing to possibly subscribe when there is some interaction with the community here. Making a post only to try to make money doesn't seem like a good approach to me vs. sharing and posting about some of your experiences.

For example, maybe doing a post about your experience with your MRI would help. You might have nailed it that the guide is more geared towards newbies just moving here and not knowing much at all. I met a few expats in the past and some were really really tight with money so not sure how how easily it will be to get them to part with $$$. :ROFLMAO:

I agree with this approach. I'd be much more willing to possibly subscribe when there is some interaction with the community here. Making a post only to try to make money doesn't seem like a good approach to me vs. sharing and posting about some of your experiences.

For example, maybe doing a post about your experience with your MRI would help. You might have nailed it that the guide is more geared towards newbies just moving here and not knowing much at all. I met a few expats in the past and some were really really tight with money so not sure how how easily it will be to get them to part with $$$. :ROFLMAO:
Agreed! Plus as people buy the guidebook it would be nice if people could post about their experiences with the information. Obviously if several people bought the book and it helped them, they could write a testimonial here and we can read about it. That probably would help with sales.

Hey so I was not planning on advertising here - someone else mentioned my guide and I just hopped in to answer questions :) I have a YouTube channel and a blog listed as ideas for free content- that’s coming.

I appreciate the fact moderators let me post my newsletter here, but I don’t think it would be fair to them to advertise here that much.

So basically, free content and everything else is coming - just give me some time (one man show here).

I really appreciate the feedback you guys gave me here - I’m writing ideas down :)

Hey so I was not planning on advertising here - someone else mentioned my guide and I just hopped in to answer questions :) I have a YouTube channel and a blog listed as ideas for free content- that’s coming.

I appreciate the fact moderators let me post my newsletter here, but I don’t think it would be fair to them to advertise here that much.

So basically, free content and everything else is coming - just give me some time (one man show here).

I really appreciate the feedback you guys gave me here - I’m writing ideas down :)
I don't think @Betsy Ross is saying necessarily to do advertising here. I think her point is to do organic sharing of information. So by sharing genuine information it kind of builds credibility and then builds community for your other channels too. Great that you have YouTube and Tik Tok and X seem to be critical these days. But it sounds like a big positive is you can just take genuine examples and share it and then cross market it on all your platforms.

@ognjen can you post your YouTube channel here so I can check it out?

I don't think @Betsy Ross is saying necessarily to do advertising here. I think her point is to do organic sharing of information. So by sharing genuine information it kind of builds credibility and then builds community for your other channels too. Great that you have YouTube and Tik Tok and X seem to be critical these days. But it sounds like a big positive is you can just take genuine examples and share it and then cross market it on all your platforms.

@ognjen can you post your YouTube channel here so I can check it out?
So the YT channel is empty now - I just have it as a next to do (after guide creation). I’ll probably start posting videos later this month based on subscriber desires. Open to suggestions!

After mulling over it a little, I think I'm going to hold off on it. I still think it's great what you're doing and looking to see you expand and wishing you the best of luck.
I still think it would be easier to sell something if people feel a genuine connection and someone is regularly sharing information on expat forums with the very target audience they claim to want to help. I believe these days people need to market smarter. If I was constantly reading helpful advice from a company/person and I got a sense of their style and information then I would be more willing to buy something from them vs. just stopping by to say sign up for my new service and give me $$$ to buy it. Just my 2 cents.

I still think it would be easier to sell something if people feel a genuine connection and someone is regularly sharing information on expat forums with the very target audience they claim to want to help. I believe these days people need to market smarter. If I was constantly reading helpful advice from a company/person and I got a sense of their style and information then I would be more willing to buy something from them vs. just stopping by to say sign up for my new service and give me $$$ to buy it. Just my 2 cents.
@ognjen what are the numbers like on expats relocating here to Argentina now? I would have thought that this probably slowed way way down with the higher cost of living the past few months and most likely things will get more expensive making it unlikely to get less people. I'm curious what the numbers look like from your perspective? I used to see a lot online about people moving here but not so much the past few months.

Depends.

According to lawyers and realtors I’m talking to, 2024 so far was the busiest time when it comes to foreigners coming here and especially buying properties.

Love him or hate him, a lot of people have more confidence in Argentinian economy since Milei got elected and there is a big wave now to purchase properties which are at record low prices.

Time will tell, but if they release a golden visa like they have in other countries we should see an absolute avalanche of people coming here.

Most people who are coming are looking to stay here for a few months out of the year and compared to US prices, Argentina is still incredibly affordable (hell, compared to Serbian prices it’s still affordable).

Buenos dias everyone,

If you have 5 mins, could you do me a favor and fill out this short survey about your cost of living in Argentina?

Don't worry - it's 100% anonymous.

I'm collecting data and when I have enough responses, I'll share the results.

Thanks - appreciate it :)
Just filled your survey out @Argentina Expat. I would guess that the answers will be all over the board. Many expats are young and single and not many expenses while some of us are married and have school aged children.

Buenos dias everyone,

If you have 5 mins, could you do me a favor and fill out this short survey about your cost of living in Argentina?

Don't worry - it's 100% anonymous.

I'm collecting data and when I have enough responses, I'll share the results.

Thanks - appreciate it :)
Thank you @Argentina Expat. I would be interested in seeing the responses. I will go fill it out.

Back