Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Unveiled Mandatory Registry For Bitcoin And Crypto Platforms

I cash directly in a US bank, but I hold crypto in a cold wallet. Trust no one! ;)
I just started getting into Bitcoin the past few weeks while prices were lower. I heard cold wallet is the safest solution. I just bought from Coinbase but it sounds like cold wallet is the only way to go as long as you don't lose the password or lose the wallet! Although for this guy, losing his password probably is the best thing as he couldn't spend all those bitcoin!

Last edited:
I just started getting into Bitcoin the past few weeks while prices were lower. I heard cold wallet is the safest solution. I just bought from Coinbase but it sounds like cold wallet is the only way to go as long as you don't lose the password or lose the wallet! Although for this guy, losing his password probably is the best thing as he couldn't spend all those bitcoin!

There are trade-offs between storing in a platform (Coinbase / Binance) or in a cold wallet.

The 2 biggest trade-offs of platforms are:
  1. Security: if the platform get's hacked you'll loose everything
  2. Bureaucracy: if you have a bunch of money you may have to pay taxes, send papers / photos and you may have issues moving large amounts of US$ at once
The biggest trade-off of cold wallets is:
  1. Security / Responsiblity: if someone stoles your seed phrase or you lose it you're done. A seed phrase is a set of 12/24 words that is virtually impossible to recover.

There are trade-offs between storing in a platform (Coinbase / Binance) or in a cold wallet.

The 2 biggest trade-offs of platforms are:
  1. Security: if the platform get's hacked you'll loose everything
  2. Bureaucracy: if you have a bunch of money you may have to pay taxes, send papers / photos and you may have issues moving large amounts of US$ at once
The biggest trade-off of cold wallets is:
  1. Security / Responsiblity: if someone stoles your seed phrase or you lose it you're done. A seed phrase is a set of 12/24 words that is virtually impossible to recover.
Yes, advantages and disadvantages of each. Still, I would think if a bigger company like Coinbase got hacked, they would make the client whole. I know people that are finally getting funds back after Mt Gox hack back in 2014. He jokes probably the best thing as he would have spent it.

As far as taxes, seems like most governments around the world are going to make it so if you're an American you're going to have to pay taxes eventually. People that bought in earlier probably are more protected.

Many, many people get their seed phrase stolen or lose it. Amazing that happens but it does all the time.

Specially because is not a currency and is not owned by any goverment or banking entity: it's a sovereign store of value so having goverments telling people to declare bitcoin could be considered a violation of human rights. This really pisses governments and banking corporations a lot XD.
Yeah this ain't happening. Least not in Argentina!

Back