Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Argentina Versus Colombia to Retire

How empty can your bank account be?
Well I know you're joking about it but that's the thing in Colombia. In much of the world including most western countries. The girls are gold diggers. They probably wouldn't give a lot of guys the time of day if you aren't successful and have money.

But in Colombia and Brazil this isn't the case. The key is to never really show how much money you have even if you have it. They will figure if you're well off if you're living in a nice apartment. But I honestly don't think they are mainly motivated too much if you have money or not. Obviously they have to be attracted to you a bit.

From my experiences, the girls more are interested if you are a nice guy. If you will treat them well. If you will respect them and love them vs. if you're wealthy.

Where you could end up "going broke" is you can end up going on a lot of dates if that is your goal. I mean, you can invite a girl to lunch or dinner and I've just never had them say no unless they were married or had a boyfriend. But even in a majority of those cases they still wouldn't say no.

You can be more adventurous and many guys that have no confidence in their home countries will just find the acceptance rate of asking girls out is very high. So you CAN find yourself going out to a lot of dinners, lunches, coffee dates, etc. I have really high standards so in the USA I would only ask girls out not too often. Not because I didn't think I'd get rejected but more so because I didn't think they were hot enough to warrant asking out. I still dated a lot (1to 2X a week) in the USA but nothing like Colombia (7-15 X a week).

But in Colombia I could be in a bookstore. I chat up someone in the store or the girl checking me out at the register. I could be at the haircut salon. Same. Restaurant, same. You name it and there were so many beautiful girls I'd have so many phone numbers. So I'd just spend a lot of money going on dates, etc.

Then on the other side of the spectrum I'd have a lot of girls when I went out at night sometimes give me their #. A few times I thought the girl was stealing my phone but they were just putting their # in my phone. Most of these girls are putas that do this. But still it's hard to say no if you're super attracted to them.

After a while you could ask yourself what the hell are you doing? I mean, I figured out I didn't really want a girlfriend at all. And I felt like an asshole just asking girls out on dates, then going out again with the ultimate goal of having sex. And these were nice normal non-puta girls. I didn't think it was fair to do that. Because after sex they were expecting a committed relationship and that's hard to do in Colombia for a lot of guys.

Such are the "downsides" to Colombia.... In Buenos Aires I just don't find you will have the same kind of opportunities. Not nearly as many beautiful break your neck turning around girls.

Ive owned businesses and lived in both Buenos Aires and Medellin (and been to all major Colombian cities). Bogota is a cold, ugly, high altitude dump. Medellin is an attractive place and Cali has potential. However Colombian cities are inherently much more dangerous than Buenos Aires and as a white American (if that is what you are) you will stick out like a sore thumb and will always be a target and you will really only be able to date a subset of woman who are of a lower socioeconomic strata. The default assumption among Colombians is that any white male foreigner is automatically a sex tourist.
In Buenos Aires that is not the case at all, as you can blend in visually and there is no such assumption whatsoever about foreign origin males presence in the country.
In either country you need to speak Spanish otherwise you are totally missing out on what would otherwise be available to you.
Nah I don't necessarily think that the default assumption is that any white foreigner is automatically a sex tourist. I stood out but once they could see I was fluent, could communicate with them. Had a solid profession, well traveled, I didn't have any problem dating normal girls. I mean the OP is only in his early 40's so it's not like he is really an old guy. I've found that Colombia girls aren't afraid of dating older.

Granted, I don't know if the OP is looking for age appropriate girls but I always dated younger in Colombia without any issues. And this was normal non-puta girls. But I spoke Spanish. It probably would be a different scenario if this isn't the case.

You can get by in BA with English as most educated girls speak some English. In Colombia lots of girls don't speak much English. Obviously the more educated they are the better their English is. But call me crazy but I actually preferred girls that didn't speak great English. Ha, ha.

This sounds like a good idea. as long as you are willing to transfer twice as much UDS per month from the USA (and deal with the tax consequences) so your Colombian wife will also qualify for temporary residency in Argentina.
But Stive. People always talk about the negative tax consequences of Argentina and "worldwide assets" but the truth of the matter is that Argentina is so chaotic and unorganized that they don't even police people living in Argentina and their own citizens. Just about 0% chance in the near term they are going to worry about what any American has abroad.

That was my biggest worry when I got permanent residency in Argentina almost 20 years ago. I'm certainly not advocating it but there are definitely ways you can shield your tax exposure. Setting up LLC's ,etc.

My point is the last thing I'd worry about in this equation is possible tax consequences. I don't know about Colombia but this wouldn't worry me at all in Argentina.

I know they talk about sharing tax information later with USA but my guess is this gets extended out and gets delayed. And even then the goal of Argentina isn't going after American permanent resident holders living off retirement savings and pensions. It's very wealthy locals that have tons of bank accounts in the USA. But this will take a while if at all.

I agree. It's hard to know one way or the other. That's my point. People around here (this board) regularly express supreme confidence on the matter, when at best it can only be a hunch or educated guess based on whatever criteria each one uses to think about the matter.

I agree. It's hard to know one way or the other. That's my point. People around here (this board) regularly express supreme confidence on the matter, when at best it can only be a hunch or educated guess based on whatever criteria each one uses to think about the matter.
Oh NO, I'm not claiming to be some expert. I'm far from that on this matter. I've never claimed to be an expert on this. And no one is saying the locals aren't fearing it. All my Porteño friends that own real estate in the USA, have bank accounts, etc. are all very scared. I'm not saying that. I'm more talking about the typical American that got a DNI and retired.

I'm just saying that I've never in my 20+ years and many hundreds of clients that are all foreigners and have DNI's. I've never heard of even one case where Argentina tried to claim a % in asset tax from assets they held abroad. I'm not saying this will never happen. But OP doesn't come across as someone that has to worry too much about this.

Remember that Argentina has had several "tax amnesties" where they allowed locals that were hiding their cash abroad to pay %X and bring it back to Argentina. They were promised that they wouldn't get prosecuted. A sh*t ton came back into the country. They did this a few times. It's partly why the real estate market peaked in 2019. So much funds came back and IIRC, one of the conditions is they had to invest it in real estate or a local business. Needless to say a lot bought real estate.

Argentina will go after the easy fish. JMHO. Has anyone on this forum known any Ex-pat with DNI OR a local Argentine that were ever penalized or threatened by the Argentina government for assets they held abroad? I don't. And I mean personally heard the story. Not hearsay.

As far as Brazil. Yes, I much prefer Brazil vs. Colombia for everyday living. Honestly, if they spoke Spanish there I'd probably never have gotten married. I doubt I would have left Brazil. I still own a property in Rio. Although I studied Portuguese and conversational, it's a tough language. Also, Rio is super expensive now. Cost of living is very expensive there.

But the girls there are world class.

Oh NO, I'm not claiming to be some expert. I'm far from that on this matter. I've never claimed to be an expert on this. And no one is saying the locals aren't fearing it. All my Porteño friends that own real estate in the USA, have bank accounts, etc. are all very scared. I'm not saying that. I'm more talking about the typical American that got a DNI and retired.

I'm just saying that I've never in my 20+ years and many hundreds of clients that are all foreigners and have DNI's. I've never heard of even one case where Argentina tried to claim a % in asset tax from assets they held abroad. I'm not saying this will never happen. But OP doesn't come across as someone that has to worry too much about this.

Remember that Argentina has had several "tax amnesties" where they allowed locals that were hiding their cash abroad to pay %X and bring it back to Argentina. They were promised that they wouldn't get prosecuted. A sh*t ton came back into the country. They did this a few times. It's partly why the real estate market peaked in 2019. So much funds came back and IIRC, one of the conditions is they had to invest it in real estate or a local business. Needless to say a lot bought real estate.

Argentina will go after the easy fish. JMHO. Has anyone on this forum known any Ex-pat with DNI OR a local Argentine that were ever penalized or threatened by the Argentina government for assets they held abroad? I don't. And I mean personally heard the story. Not hearsay.

As far as Brazil. Yes, I much prefer Brazil vs. Colombia for everyday living. Honestly, if they spoke Spanish there I'd probably never have gotten married. I doubt I would have left Brazil. I still own a property in Rio. Although I studied Portuguese and conversational, it's a tough language. Also, Rio is super expensive now. Cost of living is very expensive there.

But the girls there are world class.
Here's the breakdown for me in order of priority.

Cost of living: Has to be low in order for me to retire early in the first place. I also want to be able to have a decent lifestyle with my budget and some buffer in case things don't go as planned. The 3k amount has to cover everything including medical, taxes, GF/wife, travel back to the US once a year, etc. (I don't have luxurious tastes) I think it's the case that both countries meet this requirement though.

Dating: Not much to say for this one.

Things to do/Restaurants: I don't want to be bored where ever I am. So, I want to be able to go out to restaurants and/or a shows/events, etc. It doesn't have to be the best possible stuff though. There just has to be a variety of decent things to do. I've a lot of access to the best quality shows/restaurants in the US, so I've had my fill in a sense. Also, I can mix in other places with occasional travel around South America.

Safety: For better or worse, I have a high risk tolerance for this. I've traveled enough to know where not to go and what not to do. Obviously, the place cannot be truly unsafe or that's out of the question.

I feel like from what I'm hearing the better fit would be Colombia. At least to start out to try to meet someone.

Here's the breakdown for me in order of priority.

Cost of living: Has to be low in order for me to retire early in the first place. I also want to be able to have a decent lifestyle with my budget and some buffer in case things don't go as planned. The 3k amount has to cover everything including medical, taxes, GF/wife, travel back to the US once a year, etc. (I don't have luxurious tastes) I think it's the case that both countries meet this requirement though.

Dating: Not much to say for this one.

Things to do/Restaurants: I don't want to be bored where ever I am. So, I want to be able to go out to restaurants and/or a shows/events, etc. It doesn't have to be the best possible stuff though. There just has to be a variety of decent things to do. I've a lot of access to the best quality shows/restaurants in the US, so I've had my fill in a sense. Also, I can mix in other places with occasional travel around South America.

Safety: For better or worse, I have a high risk tolerance for this. I've traveled enough to know where not to go and what not to do. Obviously, the place cannot be truly unsafe or that's out of the question.

I feel like from what I'm hearing the better fit would be Colombia. At least to start out to try to meet someone.
Your #1 priority is cost of living and that will be Argentina by a long shot. Same with things (there aren't too many things to do in most Colombian cities. I mean there are a few things but you will quickly get bored doing the same things and going to the same places over and over) restaurants and safety also go to Argentina.

I'm not sure about healthcare costs in Colombia but in Argentina it's cheap and VERY good. Get a OSDE plan preferably 410 if you can. It will still be cheap if you're in your early 40's. Colombia actually is expensive in many things. I'm not sure how some locals do it there. Dining out, utilities for your apartment will be at least double in Colombia.

Really the ONLY thing Colombia comes out ahead is dating. That's it.

Your budget of $3,000 is decent but I didn't know it included going home once a year. That's going to be really expensive from Argentina. Flights are crazy expensive there the past few years. I recently went and it was $2,200 US dollars for each ticket and we flew down with family of 5 so that adds up. Plus the money you will spend in the USA. Do yourself a spreadsheet and put every possible expense on it. Be realistic with your budget.

Your #1 priority is cost of living and that will be Argentina by a long shot. Same with things (there aren't too many things to do in most Colombian cities. I mean there are a few things but you will quickly get bored doing the same things and going to the same places over and over) restaurants and safety also go to Argentina.

I'm not sure about healthcare costs in Colombia but in Argentina it's cheap and VERY good. Get a OSDE plan preferably 410 if you can. It will still be cheap if you're in your early 40's. Colombia actually is expensive in many things. I'm not sure how some locals do it there. Dining out, utilities for your apartment will be at least double in Colombia.

Really the ONLY thing Colombia comes out ahead is dating. That's it.

Your budget of $3,000 is decent but I didn't know it included going home once a year. That's going to be really expensive from Argentina. Flights are crazy expensive there the past few years. I recently went and it was $2,200 US dollars for each ticket and we flew down with family of 5 so that adds up. Plus the money you will spend in the USA. Do yourself a spreadsheet and put every possible expense on it. Be realistic with your budget.
I think I should have worded what I wrote a bit differently. What I was trying to say is that cost of living is like a threshold thing. As long as I can afford it then it passes the test. Both Colombia and Argentina should pass the test even if Argentina is more affordable.

I think what you said earlier about meeting someone in Colombia and then moving to Argentina makes a lot of sense. That's like my high level take away from this super helpful conversation. To start out with Colombia with the understanding of the drawbacks versus Argentina.

I have a meeting with an attorney from Bogata to talk about visa options to live there. I think it may be harder to get than Argentina, but should be doable with legal help. We'll see what she says though.

I think I should have worded what I wrote a bit differently. What I was trying to say is that cost of living is like a threshold thing. As long as I can afford it then it passes the test. Both Colombia and Argentina should pass the test even if Argentina is more affordable.

I think what you said earlier about meeting someone in Colombia and then moving to Argentina makes a lot of sense. That's like my high level take away from this super helpful conversation. To start out with Colombia with the understanding of the drawbacks versus Argentina.

I have a meeting with an attorney from Bogata to talk about visa options to live there. I think it may be harder to get than Argentina, but should be doable with legal help. We'll see what she says though.
Sure, of course the #1 priority is to make sure you can afford it. But don't discount what people are saying. Buenos Aires is going to be half as cheap (or even more than 1/2 as cheap) than most cities in Colombia. Easily.

For Argentina residency you can contact - https://argentinaresidency.com/. They are really good honest people. Lorena did mine over 20 years ago. She has helped many of my friends and clients over the years. Tell her Earl Lee says hello.

These days there are a lot of blogs and YouTube videos from ex-pats with how much they are spending so do some research or feel free to ask here. There are a lot of friendly, helpful and acknowledgeable people on this forum.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention that is VERY IMPORTANT and something that you should be honest about yourself moving to Colombia is do you want kids? Because that can totally throw off your retirement plans completely! I can't tell you how many friends I have that have moved to Brazil or Colombia to say they never want kids. Or they never want MORE kids (kids from a previous marriage). They are all ready to be selfish and take care of themselves or their girlfriend.

Only to start dating and then these Colombianas instinctively want to be moms and have kids. You're early 40's so I assume your dating range in Colombia will be mid/late 20's to early 30's. I doubt you will want to date anyone your age. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But trust me. In Colombia you're going to be dating younger. Girls there gravitate towards older guys than them.

And many of these girls in their late 20's to early 30's that don't have kids will feel their biological clock ticking. You definitely will fall in love eventually and you just have to be careful in retirement planning because that can totally throw things off. Kids are damn expensive. I don't care which country you're in!

So many of my friends even ones living in the USA that met Colombian girls here and married them are in this situation. With Colombianas you almost almost date younger. Even if you're not looking to. My best friend in the USA met a Colombiana here in the USA. He fell in love and they got married. My friend is 53 and his wife is 36. And what do you know she wants kids. That's why she divorced her first husband because he didn't want kids. So even though my friend had a vasectomy, he got It reversed and the deal is at least they will try. He is dreading having more kids as he already has 2 kids and hard to think about starting all over.

The very positive thing is Colombian women are the absolute best mothers and wives. They dote on you. They take care of you and your children. They love sex and it's mind-blowing good. Unlike any other women out there. So in that respect if it happens you're in good hands. The downside is kids are freaking expensive. So keep that in the back of your mind going in to this and don't say I didn't tell you "I told you". Ha, ha.

Sure, of course the #1 priority is to make sure you can afford it. But don't discount what people are saying. Buenos Aires is going to be half as cheap (or even more than 1/2 as cheap) than most cities in Colombia. Easily.

For Argentina residency you can contact - https://argentinaresidency.com/. They are really good honest people. Lorena did mine over 20 years ago. She has helped many of my friends and clients over the years. Tell her Earl Lee says hello.

These days there are a lot of blogs and YouTube videos from ex-pats with how much they are spending so do some research or feel free to ask here. There are a lot of friendly, helpful and acknowledgeable people on this forum.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention that is VERY IMPORTANT and something that you should be honest about yourself moving to Colombia is do you want kids? Because that can totally throw off your retirement plans completely! I can't tell you how many friends I have that have moved to Brazil or Colombia to say they never want kids. Or they never want MORE kids (kids from a previous marriage). They are all ready to be selfish and take care of themselves or their girlfriend.

Only to start dating and then these Colombianas instinctively want to be moms and have kids. You're early 40's so I assume your dating range in Colombia will be mid/late 20's to early 30's. I doubt you will want to date anyone your age. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But trust me. In Colombia you're going to be dating younger. Girls there gravitate towards older guys than them.

And many of these girls in their late 20's to early 30's that don't have kids will feel their biological clock ticking. You definitely will fall in love eventually and you just have to be careful in retirement planning because that can totally throw things off. Kids are damn expensive. I don't care which country you're in!

So many of my friends even ones living in the USA that met Colombian girls here and married them are in this situation. With Colombianas you almost almost date younger. Even if you're not looking to. My best friend in the USA met a Colombiana here in the USA. He fell in love and they got married. My friend is 53 and his wife is 36. And what do you know she wants kids. That's why she divorced her first husband because he didn't want kids. So even though my friend had a vasectomy, he got It reversed and the deal is at least they will try. He is dreading having more kids as he already has 2 kids and hard to think about starting all over.

The very positive thing is Colombian women are the absolute best mothers and wives. They dote on you. They take care of you and your children. They love sex and it's mind-blowing good. Unlike any other women out there. So in that respect if it happens you're in good hands. The downside is kids are freaking expensive. So keep that in the back of your mind going in to this and don't say I didn't tell you "I told you". Ha, ha.
Thanks for sharing that immigration service. I'll check them out. I've been meeting with different lawyer and accountants from both places and and it's really hard to nail down who to work with.

That's a really great point regarding kids. I'm open to having them if I met the right person and I can imagine that my partner would want them. The main consideration would be fitting it into my budget. How much would you say to budget roughly speaking for a kid?

Thanks for sharing that immigration service. I'll check them out. I've been meeting with different lawyer and accountants from both places and and it's really hard to nail down who to work with.

That's a really great point regarding kids. I'm open to having them if I met the right person and I can imagine that my partner would want them. The main consideration would be fitting it into my budget. How much would you say to budget roughly speaking for a kid?
I've gotten permanent residency in a few countries. Some I did myself and most I hired an immigration attorney. My advice on that is go with someone that has been doing it a long long time. They will know the ins and outs. Typically you want to go with someone that you get a personal vouch or recommendation or that has a ton of good reviews online. I know there are a lot of immigration attorneys in Buenos Aires but go with one that has been around a long time. Don't always go just for the cheapest.

In Argentina I got my DNI and then they renewed it 3 times and then I got my permanent residency. I don't think you have to be in a rush. But you're definitely doing it the right way. Lots of ex-pats just live in the country and never get residency. Just keep in mind in Argentina you need a DNI to open up bank account, etc. so it's helpful. If you bring a Colombia she won't have any issues at all with staying in Argentina. But they can do the process as well. It's easier for them.

On cost of living that's going to depend on the country. I'm still living with the kids in the USA so it's wicked expensive. It's insanely expensive as I live in California and the kids are in a lot of competitive sports so just on tennis lessons per kid it's like $250 dollars per week per kid. Then add in all the other stuff, clothes, food, etc. and let's just say it's much more expensive what I'm spending per kid then you're entire retirement budget. It's ugly but hope to move permanently to Buenos Aires soon.

Bogota on 3k/mo will be tight if you want medium-high comfort levels. It's doable, but rent alone will eat likely eat half of this assuming you want to live in the rich bubble. BA I think my avg spend is like $1500-1600/mo and that's to include a nice apt in a top area, chef cooking all my food, dates / going out, etc. It's actually difficult to spend money here.

Also, the note on bringing a colombiana to Buenos Aires is awful advice. Will not elaborate much beyond latinos from other countries seem to have a tendency to adapt to the local argentine ways and change once they land in EZE. It's weird but I've seen it time and time again.

I've gotten permanent residency in a few countries. Some I did myself and most I hired an immigration attorney. My advice on that is go with someone that has been doing it a long long time. They will know the ins and outs. Typically you want to go with someone that you get a personal vouch or recommendation or that has a ton of good reviews online. I know there are a lot of immigration attorneys in Buenos Aires but go with one that has been around a long time. Don't always go just for the cheapest.

In Argentina I got my DNI and then they renewed it 3 times and then I got my permanent residency. I don't think you have to be in a rush. But you're definitely doing it the right way. Lots of ex-pats just live in the country and never get residency. Just keep in mind in Argentina you need a DNI to open up bank account, etc. so it's helpful. If you bring a Colombia she won't have any issues at all with staying in Argentina. But they can do the process as well. It's easier for them.

On cost of living that's going to depend on the country. I'm still living with the kids in the USA so it's wicked expensive. It's insanely expensive as I live in California and the kids are in a lot of competitive sports so just on tennis lessons per kid it's like $250 dollars per week per kid. Then add in all the other stuff, clothes, food, etc. and let's just say it's much more expensive what I'm spending per kid then you're entire retirement budget. It's ugly but hope to move permanently to Buenos Aires soon.
Oof that's a lot for kid stuff. The US has gotten crazy expensive for everything. I would definitely stay down in SA with the kid(s). I have heard that good private schools can be expensive in developing countries, but home schooling could be an option since I wouldn't be working.

I haven't been to Argentina in a little while, but I'm pretty sure you can find flights there for much less than 2.2k. Did you fly first/business class? It would just be me flying. So, you amortize that over a year and shouldn't be a big a hit to the budget.

Bogota on 3k/mo will be tight if you want medium-high comfort levels. It's doable, but rent alone will eat likely eat half of this assuming you want to live in the rich bubble. BA I think my avg spend is like $1500-1600/mo and that's to include a nice apt in a top area, chef cooking all my food, dates / going out, etc. It's actually difficult to spend money here.

Also, the note on bringing a colombiana to Buenos Aires is awful advice. Will not elaborate much beyond latinos from other countries seem to have a tendency to adapt to the local argentine ways and change once they land in EZE. It's weird but I've seen it time and time again.
+1 on the bringing the Colombian to BA. That is just insane to throw a major international move into the mix of your relationship. If she's from a good social class, she won't do it. If she's from a low social class, you are going to be paying for other family members or at a minimum all kinds of trips and gifts. Just don't go there.

+1 on the bringing the Colombian to BA. That is just insane to throw a major international move into the mix of your relationship. If she's from a good social class, she won't do it. If she's from a low social class, you are going to be paying for other family members or at a minimum all kinds of trips and gifts. Just don't go there.
No I'm not saying you do this out of the gate. I'm saying long-term eventually if things work out after establishing "she is the one". I completely disagree with you that "if she is from a good social class, she won't do it". That's just wrong from my experience. My then girlfriend was college educated with a Business Degree and she moved out. Most of her other friends have also moved out of Colombia to other places including mostly USA.

Yes, true that it can add up bringing their family down. I didn't have to do that but I wanted to as family was very important to her. But she could have managed if we kept them there. I didn't do that until we started having kids and for the kids to be close with the grandparents. Plus, after the first year they all got jobs and off the payroll. It was the best decision I could have made bringing her to live in Buenos Aires. And her family all got permanent residency in Argentina. They almost never go back to Colombia. They love Argentina.

I think most level headed educated girls would agree that Colombia isn't that desirable of a place to live. Danger and safety issues, traffic, lack of things to do, etc. Once they experience life out of Colombia it's not difficult to get them to live a better life somewhere else.

All college educated, smart and beautiful girls. People do love their country but the ones I've met are more than happy to leave for greener (and more beautiful pastures). I have experienced what you're saying with girls from Brazil. They love their country and lifestyle. The girls from Rio that I met really love the beach vibe and lifestyle there. Honestly, most cities in Colombia aren't that desirable culturally wise.

Oof that's a lot for kid stuff. The US has gotten crazy expensive for everything. I would definitely stay down in SA with the kid(s). I have heard that good private schools can be expensive in developing countries, but home schooling could be an option since I wouldn't be working.

I haven't been to Argentina in a little while, but I'm pretty sure you can find flights there for much less than 2.2k. Did you fly first/business class? It would just be me flying. So, you amortize that over a year and shouldn't be a big a hit to the budget.
Yeah the USA is NOT cheap. For raising kids it was great as my kids were born in Argentina so they have passports but I didn't want to raise them there. Raising them in the USA was perfect (but expensive) but once they are out of high school I'm back to Argentina.

Flights after COVID just got expensive. Yeah, it's less than $2,000 usually but they will have massive price increases sometimes during busy times. They cut back # of flights so they are always full. Aerolineas Argentina has a sale for NYC and Miami but I'm on West Coast USA and flights here are always more expensive. No it was for economy. Since COVID flights have mostly been around $1,500 or so round-trip. I'm not sure which city you're in. Less if you're on East Coast.

Also, I'm not claiming to be the authoritative expert on this matter. Far from it. But I'm just telling you about my real life experiences. I'm not sure if others have brought their Colombian girlfriend or wife to Argentina. If so, I'm welcome to hear about their real life experiences. I've done it and it was the best decision I could have made. No way I'd want to live in Colombia long term for all the reasons I mentioned.

If we're talking wife material, and this isn't just Argentina vs Colombia anymore, because you brought the USA into it, then I think the women of Mexico deserve at the very least an honorable mention.

Let's not forget that, as the years go by, a woman's good looks will fade quite a bit, but her cooking will only get better and better.

If we're talking wife material, and this isn't just Argentina vs Colombia anymore, because you brought the USA into it, then I think the women of Mexico deserve at the very least an honorable mention.

Let's not forget that, as the years go by, a woman's good looks will fade quite a bit, but her cooking will only get better and better.
Sure, since we brought wife material into the mix I think all countries are worth discussing. I've been all over Mexico and dated a lot of girls there too. I have permanent residency in Mexico too. Mexico is by far the easiest country to get permanent residency in. I did it myself without a lawyer. It was very easy.

You start the process in the Mexican consulate office in your nearest USA city (I did mine in Santa Ana in Orange County, California). You have to either have a bank statement showing $210,000 US for the past 12 months in a row. Or show income via pension or can be rentals via real estate of $5,186 US dollars per month.

Then you go to Mexico to finish the process. Was really easy. I did it 5 years ago and I can get my Mexican passport now if I wanted. I was amazed how simple it was. They have this email system that keeps you informed of every step of the process. Once I went to give them the application it only took 2 weeks. I couldn't believe it! (This outlines the process if you're interested - https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sandie...s/g_7a_Permanent_Resident_Visa_Retirement.pdf

The down thing is Mexico has gotten really expensive. I own a few properties there and it's expensive now as the Mexican peso has shifted and gotten really strong so the US$ doesn't go that far there now. All my rentals are in USD and expenses are in pesos. That worked when it was 21 pesos to $1US but it's about 17 :1 now.

Mexican girls are ok. Guadalajara has the most beautiful girls in Mexico, IMHO. The best thing about Mexico is the food. By far the best country in Latin American for food in my opinion.

It is amazing the goofy info on this thread. L.A. or D.C to Buenos Aires is $375 one way...It could not be any cheaper. $3000 a month? Rocoleta or Parque 93.....no problem. Argentine people are KNOWN to not be really friendly....Colombians are VERY friendly. Use THIS https://www.globalproductprices.com/Colombia/apple_prices/ to compare prices of most countries and remember that the Argentine prices are at the official peso. (I left Buenos Aires 6 months ago....I am in Colombia right now.....I leave for San Jose C.R. in 2 weeks)

Back