Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

I think I recall someone posting about ATM machines in Buenos Aires that allow you to withdraw dollars. Or am I mistaken? I think I saw someone withdrawing what looked like US Dollars from an ATM machine today. Is this possible today? If so, how?

I think I recall someone posting about ATM machines in Buenos Aires that allow you to withdraw dollars. Or am I mistaken? I think I saw someone withdrawing what looked like US Dollars from an ATM machine today. Is this possible today? If so, how?
No you can NOT withdraw USD from ATM machines here unless you have a USD account here locally which some locals do. I don't know how common they are but I do know there are a few ATM machines for locals that have dollar accounts. But tourists or people that don't have local accounts can't use them.

Lately a lot more locals are depositing USD again into their local accounts as they trust Milei and his administration.

No you can NOT withdraw USD from ATM machines here unless you have a USD account here locally which some locals do. I don't know how common they are but I do know there are a few ATM machines for locals that have dollar accounts. But tourists or people that don't have local accounts can't use them.

Lately a lot more locals are depositing USD again into their local accounts as they trust Milei and his administration.
If you want USD go on ferry to Uruguay and you can take out USD there easily in ATM machine. Not in BA.

The crazy low ATM withdrawal limit was annoying but I heard that this limit is going to drastically go up in June once the new higher denomination bills are coming out.
I also heard this rumor that the withdrawal limits were drastically going up later once the new bills come out. My neighbor works for a large bank and told me they were going to raise the limit. I am not sure what it will go up to but this is good news.

What's the difference between extracting with debit vs credit?. I have Visa debit and I'm traveling to BA in a few weeks, I want to know what to expect...
The difference is that a debit card just takes out your available cash you have in your savings or checking account with your bank. A credit card is taking it out from a credit card and they will charge you high fees like cash advance fees to borrow the money. I would recommend to avoid using a credit card with ANY ATM machines but especially in Argentina as the ATM machines in Argentina all charge a high fee and as of now you can't withdraw much at all.

If you are American you can sign up for a Charles Schwab account which will rebate any ATM fees that any ATM's might charge around the world.

Any of you expats having any issues withdrawing pesos out of ATM machines? Even though the limits have been low on foreign cards I have been able to withdraw from my local bank account. I bank with Banco Ciudad. I have been with them a few years. They sent me a letter in December telling me that I needed to send in some paperwork about some transactions last year. I ignored it.

But lately their ATM machines don't have any pesos. Is this happening with other people and the ATM branches with other banks? Anyone bank at Banco Ciudad. Can you withdraw any pesos? The lines in the branches are massive. Is this a sign of things to come?

Any of you expats having any issues withdrawing pesos out of ATM machines? Even though the limits have been low on foreign cards I have been able to withdraw from my local bank account. I bank with Banco Ciudad. I have been with them a few years. They sent me a letter in December telling me that I needed to send in some paperwork about some transactions last year. I ignored it.

But lately their ATM machines don't have any pesos. Is this happening with other people and the ATM branches with other banks? Anyone bank at Banco Ciudad. Can you withdraw any pesos? The lines in the branches are massive. Is this a sign of things to come?
I have experienced several ATM's being out of cash lately. A good work around is buy something at Coto and you can typically get cash back when using your debit card. Each store has their own limit but you should be able to get at least 50,000 pesos beyond what you purchase. Try that.

I have experienced several ATM's being out of cash lately. A good work around is buy something at Coto and you can typically get cash back when using your debit card. Each store has their own limit but you should be able to get at least 50,000 pesos beyond what you purchase. Try that.
It is most likely the big holiday weekend with so many people out and about. I encountered the same thing but hopefully, it goes back to normal. You can do cash back from debit cards at many large grocery stores or also I believe Farmacity allows you to get back 70,000 pesos cashback on a purchase as well. Check it out, But this is on local debit cards. I am not sure if debit cards from outside of Argentina work. IIRC, I read a post on Twitter from someone saying it works but I haven't heard back from anyone if this truly works.

You should be able to use Pago Facil locations as well to do cash withdrawals but there is a small fee.

There are some reports that the new 10,000 peso note bill are in some ATM machines. Has anyone withdrawn any of these higher notes? What is the maximum you can withdraw now? I tried a few and still are only getting 1,000 peso notes.

There are some reports that the new 10,000 peso note bill are in some ATM machines. Has anyone withdrawn any of these higher notes? What is the maximum you can withdraw now? I tried a few and still are only getting 1,000 peso notes.
I really hope they increase the limit. My friends there that have local accounts can withdraw larger amounts. But they have Argentine bank accounts. My one friend could take out 80,000 pesos at a time. I tried the same and it wouldn't work. I could only take out about 35,000 pesos with my Schwab card. Maybe a little more would work but when I tried 50,000 pesos it wouldn't let me. And there was a high sucharge but my bank credits me back.

I was able to take out 2,000 peso notes last month. But these larger bills would be nice and I hope they will raise the limit on foreign credit cards. Can anyone on the ground like @Sunny or @Darksider415 or @Betsy Ross comment if the new 10,000 peso notes come out and if the limits are higher now?

From what I have read online and what my banker told me, many ATM machines don't work with even the 2,000 peso bill. Maybe the newest machines but many existing ATM machines still can't even work with the 2,000 peso note. There is some update to the software they need to do. Someone posted an article about it recently.

Back