Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

BA bike guide

CraigM

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the advice on Mendoza/Bariloche/Iguazu, really great insights to be found here.

I have another request that is a bit more specific - does anyone know a bike guide that is reasonably fit, so we can cover a decent amount of ground in 4-5 hours? Group tours are available everywhere but from what I've heard they can be painfully slow with lots of stopping and trivial discussions about statues and infrastructure, everyone nodding their heads but you can't remember any of it the next day. They also charge tourist prices which is a bit silly considering the amateur nature of it all. We have no problem paying good money for experiences (and we are!) but those tours cater to a different audience.

Thanks!
Craig

Most of those tours are group tours but BA Bike Tours can do private tours. My sister did one. Just contact them and ask them what you need and they will give you a quote. Ask for an experienced guide and explain what you want and ask if it's possible. They are straight shooters.

My friends did a private tour and also the Tigre tour and liked it. I don't know if they are as advanced as you are. But just contact the company and tell them what you're looking for. Most everyone uses Whatsapp here for their business so you can be direct and ask them before committing.

99% of these tours are geared towards amateurs and tourists. The key will be to contact them via Whatsapp as Vince mentioned and specifically ask what you're looking for and if it's possible. I'm sure it can be done but you'll have to get them to make a custom quote for you.

This is a more exclusive tour for 2 to 6 people, which might be more interesting, and it costs $105 USD.

Great recommendations, thank you. I will reach out directly on WhatsApp. Biking is such a great way to experience new cities, you can cover so much ground and still capture the feel of neighborhoods and their architecture and green spaces. Also easy to stop for food & drink anytime you like. But I've learned that group tours are not for me :)

This is a more exclusive tour for 2 to 6 people, which might be more interesting, and it costs $105 USD.

My cousin did this one and enjoyed it a lot.

Great recommendations, thank you. I will reach out directly on WhatsApp. Biking is such a great way to experience new cities, you can cover so much ground and still capture the feel of neighborhoods and their architecture and green spaces. Also easy to stop for food & drink anytime you like. But I've learned that group tours are not for me :)
Agree with you @CraigM. It's a great way to discover a new city. We did this in Paris and also parts of Italy and it was great. Group tours might not interest you but these custom individual or for 2 people trips are great as long as you're at the same skill level. I did it with my friend in Paris and she was more advanced and i slowed her down. Have fun Craig and let us know which you did.

My cousin did this one and enjoyed it a lot.

Agree with you @CraigM. It's a great way to discover a new city. We did this in Paris and also parts of Italy and it was great. Group tours might not interest you but these custom individual or for 2 people trips are great as long as you're at the same skill level. I did it with my friend in Paris and she was more advanced and i slowed her down. Have fun Craig and let us know which you did.
I certainly will!

Hi!
I recently took the private tour with Ba Bikes, and I highly recommend it. You can choose one of the routes they offer on their website or customize it to your liking. They were very accommodating and tailored the tour to what I wanted to see, all within a 4-hour timeframe. The cost is $120 USD per person. They are very friendly, and you can reach out to them on WhatsApp to ask any questions and share your ideas about the places you want to visit.

Thanks Rose Mary I sincerely appreciate it. I do find it perplexing though, the prices they all charge. I've arranged some tennis lessons in BA, and it didn't take long to find out they're available all over town for $20-30 an hour. These are private lessons with experienced pros, and it includes court time and balls and they'll even lend you a racket. It takes decades of playing tennis at a high level to become a teaching pro, whereas a bike guide is something you can learn in a week or two. Yet somehow a bike guide is far more expensive. Such is life I guess, it won't stop me from booking a tour!

Thanks Rose Mary I sincerely appreciate it. I do find it perplexing though, the prices they all charge. I've arranged some tennis lessons in BA, and it didn't take long to find out they're available all over town for $20-30 an hour. These are private lessons with experienced pros, and it includes court time and balls and they'll even lend you a racket. It takes decades of playing tennis at a high level to become a teaching pro, whereas a bike guide is something you can learn in a week or two. Yet somehow a bike guide is far more expensive. Such is life I guess, it won't stop me from booking a tour!
@CraigM yes there are many things like this. My friend's father was a tennis pro. He recently moved to Spain as the recession really caused things to slow down. The difference between prices is probably because tennis pros are priced for the local market and charge tourists the same as locals for the most part. But these bike companies and pretty much anything related to tourism, charges gringo/tourist rates. I think these bike tours are expensive for local standards.

To be fair, things like bicycles here are very expensive. There are import and VAT taxes that sometimes make them 2 or 3 X the cost of bikes in the States. So many of these places like this have to spend a lot of money on equipment. But you're right Craig about the fees. It's like therapists here that spend many years in education and decades being a therapist. Most of them charge around $25 to $30 USD an hour too. Same as a bike guide!

To be fair, things like bicycles here are very expensive. There are import and VAT taxes that sometimes make them 2 or 3 X the cost of bikes in the States. So many of these places like this have to spend a lot of money on equipment. But you're right Craig about the fees. It's like therapists here that spend many years in education and decades being a therapist. Most of them charge around $25 to $30 USD an hour too. Same as a bike guide!
Here there is no rhyme or reason. People here will charge as much as they think people will pay. In tourism it's especially high as people think all tourists have plenty of money.

I wondered about that Vince, but you can rent good bikes for $15-20 a day all over Palermo.

I wondered about that Vince, but you can rent good bikes for $15-20 a day all over Palermo.
Yes that seems to be the going rate. If you back out the cost of the rental the bike guide is making about $25/hour. Craig here you will find that that bike guide might have a PhD. :ROFLMAO: You see some interesting things here in Argentina. But I agree with your point they are making a lot to just go bike riding with you all things considered.

Yes that seems to be the going rate. If you back out the cost of the rental the bike guide is making about $25/hour. Craig here you will find that that bike guide might have a PhD. :ROFLMAO: You see some interesting things here in Argentina. But I agree with your point they are making a lot to just go bike riding with you all things considered.
I believe it! We contacted one group that asked for $300 for three of us for 4 hrs. Subtract the bike rental and that is $60+ an hour.

I believe it! We contacted one group that asked for $300 for three of us for 4 hrs. Subtract the bike rental and that is $60+ an hour.
That is nuts Craig. I guess if you're just here for vacation you might do it but after living here a few months I can't bring myself to get ripped off like that. The worst thing is the locals here don't seem like they would lower the price to get more business. It's strange here even if they don't get any business they will hold the price vs. lowering it and getting far more business. They aren't the best at that.

But it probably doesn't hurt to counter offer a price and see if they would accept it. Can't hurt.

That is nuts Craig. I guess if you're just here for vacation you might do it but after living here a few months I can't bring myself to get ripped off like that. The worst thing is the locals here don't seem like they would lower the price to get more business. It's strange here even if they don't get any business they will hold the price vs. lowering it and getting far more business. They aren't the best at that.

But it probably doesn't hurt to counter offer a price and see if they would accept it. Can't hurt.
Noticed the same thing. Same thing in stores. Some stores have things so expensive that no one will buy it. But they don't lower the price at all. Wierd. No concept of moving stuff and making more money. At $300 for 3 people riding bikes 4 hours the only takers are sucker tourists. Locals aren't going to spend that much money. Even tourists I would have to think would think twice about that.

Back