Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

BA bike guide

It's very different from state to state. West coast is the most bike friendly but it often makes cyclists arrogant and entitled, they yell at drivers and I find them embarrassing. It's a lot easier and safer to keep your head on a swivel and assume that drivers can't see you.
So true @CraigM. Fortunately here on the West Coast it's very bike friendly but you're right about some cyclists being arrogant and entitled. It's safer but I still don't like biking on anything but protected bike trails that don't have cars running on them. Just near my house a few years ago even though there are bike lanes that are clearly marked, there are cars going almost highway speeds. Many these days are distracted on their phones and not paying attention. I witnessed a bad bike accident right outside of my gated community where a man got struck and died. Worse yet, it was one of my neighbors in the community that killed the guy. She was distracted with her kids crying and turned around and hit him.

Texas is terrible with biking. Most streets don't have bike lanes, and of those that do, many are only painted. No physical barrier separating them and why I never bike the streets here.

This just happened 2 weeks ago. Warning: graphic video drunk driver and thankfully cyclists are reportedly fine
That is terrible @FuturoBA. I used to live in Dallas a while back. I can't imagine riding a bike on a road that doesn't have a bike lane. Just terrible. I hope that drunk driver gets some serious time in prison.

Texas is terrible with biking. Most streets don't have bike lanes, and of those that do, many are only painted. No physical barrier separating them and why I never bike the streets here.

This just happened 2 weeks ago. Warning: graphic video drunk driver and thankfully cyclists are reportedly fine
That's awful. But I like to remind myself that drunk drivers, angry drivers, young drivers, distracted... none of this is new. What is new is so many people biking on streets (used to be kids on sidewalks mostly) and drivers with cell phones. It's wonderful that people are getting out on bikes but it's also foolish to expect driving to improve as a result.

So true @CraigM. Fortunately here on the West Coast it's very bike friendly but you're right about some cyclists being arrogant and entitled. It's safer but I still don't like biking on anything but protected bike trails that don't have cars running on them. Just near my house a few years ago even though there are bike lanes that are clearly marked, there are cars going almost highway speeds. Many these days are distracted on their phones and not paying attention. I witnessed a bad bike accident right outside of my gated community where a man got struck and died. Worse yet, it was one of my neighbors in the community that killed the guy. She was distracted with her kids crying and turned around and hit him.

That is terrible @FuturoBA. I used to live in Dallas a while back. I can't imagine riding a bike on a road that doesn't have a bike lane. Just terrible. I hope that drunk driver gets some serious time in prison.
Good lord that is a terrible story, and all too common.

Very sad that crime increase. Never ever leave your bike unattended even to go in for coffee. I see many times thieves cutting the chains in Palermo while tourists go inside to eat. People more desperate now.
That is unfortunate but also fairly common in large cities everywhere. I'm leaning heavily towards city bikes, so convenient and you never have to worry about them.

That is unfortunate but also fairly common in large cities everywhere. I'm leaning heavily towards city bikes, so convenient and you never have to worry about them.
We were going to try those city bikes as my kids wanted to do it but we were worried about the condition on some of them. I wouldn't imagine anyone would want to steal those but then again you never know. What happens if someone steals one of those? Does the company charge you for it?

We were going to try those city bikes as my kids wanted to do it but we were worried about the condition on some of them. I wouldn't imagine anyone would want to steal those but then again you never know. What happens if someone steals one of those? Does the company charge you for it?
If it's anything like NYC they're decent enough to go on hour long rides around the city. If you get a bad one just swap it at the next station, they're pretty much everywhere which also makes theft a non-issue because you park them at stations where they're locked up and no longer your responsibility.

If it's anything like NYC they're decent enough to go on hour long rides around the city. If you get a bad one just swap it at the next station, they're pretty much everywhere which also makes theft a non-issue because you park them at stations where they're locked up and no longer your responsibility.
Yes this is correct Craig. They aren't as available as NYC but they are good enough to commute around.

Anything can happen in this country. A few days ago, I saw a post about a group of criminals who claim to protect robbery victims. They call themselves "recuperators" and enter the poorest neighborhoods armed to recover stolen motorcycles. Apparently, they're hired by victims in exchange for a hefty payment. It's still a crime since they use weapons and don't care if they have to kill someone. It's madness.

Back