Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Basic salary and cost of living in BA

I have been commenting for a while how expensive Buenos Aires is and often say it is as expensive for many things than the United States or even Europe. I am glad some agree with me now and you will see more articles stating this.

@Larry sure SOME things are cheaper in Paris vs. Buenos Aires but you would have to be crazy to try to argue that it's cheaper to live in Paris vs. Buenos Aires!

minimum wage, what is it nowadays?
in Pesos, good luck guessing and finding the government's official guess, but someone told me yesterday the monthly salary for regular people like him is $250 USD (this was the lowest-level cashier job for a young person, with of course all the State-required benefits and amazing employee discounts at a mall).

in Pesos, good luck guessing and finding the government's official guess, but someone told me yesterday the monthly salary for regular people like him is $250 USD (this was the lowest-level cashier job for a young person, with of course all the State-required benefits and amazing employee discounts at a mall).
Wow that seems low. If so I am guessing they don't have any education at all. I pay my maid more than that each month.

I keep reading how inflation is slowing but every time I read one of these articles it takes more and more just to feed a family of 4. Saw this article this morning. Two things that we mention on this forum. Tomatoes and toilet paper went up a huge amount!

A middle-class Buenos Aires family needs more than $41,000 per day to cover their expenses​

• According to data as of May, the monthly expenditure reaches $1,249,313.
  • Subte, ABL, cell phones, vegetables and fruits led the climbs

A middle-class family living in the City of Buenos Aires needed a budget of $1,249,313 last month to meet all their expenses. The costs of the subway, ABL, fruits and vegetables, mobile telephony and the TV and Internet service, were the items that increased the most.

For its part, toilet paper (of four units) went from $563.82 to $ 3,509.56, which represents a variation of 522.46% in a year. The kilo of tomatoes was worth $ 969.34 a year ago, while it is now at $ 4,719.61 (386.89% more expensive).

I keep reading how inflation is slowing but every time I read one of these articles it takes more and more just to feed a family of 4. Saw this article this morning. Two things that we mention on this forum. Tomatoes and toilet paper went up a huge amount!

A middle-class Buenos Aires family needs more than $41,000 per day to cover their expenses​

A middle-class family living in the City of Buenos Aires needed a budget of $1,249,313 last month to meet all their expenses. The costs of the subway, ABL, fruits and vegetables, mobile telephony and the TV and Internet service, were the items that increased the most.

For its part, toilet paper (of four units) went from $563.82 to $ 3,509.56, which represents a variation of 522.46% in a year. The kilo of tomatoes was worth $ 969.34 a year ago, while it is now at $ 4,719.61 (386.89% more expensive).

@Digital Nomad keep in mind this is for a middle class family. Some of these articles has different classes so you should always take note of that.

Cost of living keeps going up and unemployment numbers are also going up. Many companies in big trouble and will probably have to close soon.

Well, the results released in May for the month of April showed a surprising outcome: to belong to the middle class in Buenos Aires, you need to earn between $1200 and $1500 USD per month, depending on whether you pay rent or not. This threshold keeps rising, mainly due to food prices slowing down while utility rates and services accelerate. All of this has caused the basic cost of living for the middle class to increase more than the poverty and indigence thresholds.

Well, the results released in May for the month of April showed a surprising outcome: to belong to the middle class in Buenos Aires, you need to earn between $1200 and $1500 USD per month, depending on whether you pay rent or not. This threshold keeps rising, mainly due to food prices slowing down while utility rates and services accelerate. All of this has caused the basic cost of living for the middle class to increase more than the poverty and indigence thresholds.

That's for a family of 4 yes? 2 adults and 2 kids? That still is very very affordable by world capital city standards but I know the salaries there are lower. I wish cost of living was that low in the States.

That's for a family of 4 yes? 2 adults and 2 kids? That still is very very affordable by world capital city standards but I know the salaries there are lower. I wish cost of living was that low in the States.
Yes for family of 4 but remember the salaries are very low here

Back