Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful with taxi cabs with a rigged meter that runs quicker than usual

After almost two years of taxis in BA, I finally drew a fast meter last night. 4k pesos from Scalabrini Ortiz y Jufre to the big Coto on French.

Normal is between 2500 and 3k, on the same route.
I have lived in a few countries in Latin America and I have always gotten a few at one point or another. Try to take Uber as much as I can and from what I have read uber works great in BA.
My wife was with me and I didn’t want to raise too much of a fuss. I figure with me taking cabs 3x/week for nearly 2 years, only getting one fast one ain’t bad.
I usually try to make it a point to say something. But don't argue with them about it. My husband always argues and threatens to turn them in and inevitably they tell him to pay the real price.

After almost two years of taxis in BA, I finally drew a fast meter last night. 4k pesos from Scalabrini Ortiz y Jufre to the big Coto on French.

Once you live here long enough you will run into one of these in BA. It doesn't happen too often but a few times a year I will get one. They listen if you are a local or not. I believe foreigners get scammed more. I love that Coto there. A bit of everything there.

Once you live here long enough you will run into one of these in BA. It doesn't happen too often but a few times a year I will get one. They listen if you are a local or not. I believe foreigners get scammed more. I love that Coto there. A bit of everything there.
As I said, after two years, I figured it was about time I drew one... Especially when I'm in taxis a minimum of three round trips per week, and oftentimes more.

As I said, after two years, I figured it was about time I drew one... Especially when I'm in taxis a minimum of three round trips per week, and oftentimes more.
Yes that isn't bad at all then. Problem with them used to be much worse than it disappeared for a while and now it seems like it is coming back. A few friends also ran into it lately.

Happened to me last week also. Was at Tufic Helederia having an ice cream and then went to La Biela. Not too far from your distances @Darksider415 and the taxi wanted almost 5,000 pesos. I told him there is no way that is right and I just took almost the same route the day before. I gave him 4,000 and left but it is usually a 3,000 ride.

Same thing happened to me yesterday Darksider415 so don't feel bad. I had it happening more over a decade ago but first time since then. That may be an indicator for things to come. I hope not.

Even with my one case of piripipi, the cabs have been averaging cheaper than Uber or Cabify lately. The piripipi basically raised cab fare from taxi to UberX levels, so I'll stick with grabbing a cab unless I _know_ for sure when I'm leaving, or it's late at night.
I think prices on Uber went up a bit. I don't think the cost difference is too great with taxi vs. Uber. Cabify seems to have the cheapest levels but still it's not too much more. I like the dependability of Uber. Besides the really crappy cars, I haven't had issues with it. Taxis now are mostly newer.

It seems some taxis are back at it trying to scam tourists. This happens when the economy gets very bad and taxis get desperate. My brother is in town and mostly using Ubers and avoiding issues but he just took a taxi from Puerto Madero to my apartment here in Palermo and the taxi driver tried to charge him 45,000 pesos. Obviously a rigged meter that was running faster. He doesn't speak any Spanish at all and that's probably why he got targeted. At first he didn't pay it and was arguing for a long time. He tried to tell them to call the police but he just got tired of waiting and paid it.

Even if you don't use Uber, at least see what normal fares are from one area to another. These scams will probably show up more now.

It seems some taxis are back at it trying to scam tourists. This happens when the economy gets very bad and taxis get desperate. My brother is in town and mostly using Ubers and avoiding issues but he just took a taxi from Puerto Madero to my apartment here in Palermo and the taxi driver tried to charge him 45,000 pesos. Obviously a rigged meter that was running faster. He doesn't speak any Spanish at all and that's probably why he got targeted. At first he didn't pay it and was arguing for a long time. He tried to tell them to call the police but he just got tired of waiting and paid it.

Even if you don't use Uber, at least see what normal fares are from one area to another. These scams will probably show up more now.
All taxis should have an ID and photo of the driver. If a taxi driver tries to scam you, take a photo of this along with the license plate and report them. Most aren't willing to take the risk but some ruthless taxi drivers only target people that don't speak Spanish and it's clear they are a tourist.

All taxis should have an ID and photo of the driver. If a taxi driver tries to scam you, take a photo of this along with the license plate and report them. Most aren't willing to take the risk but some ruthless taxi drivers only target people that don't speak Spanish and it's clear they are a tourist.
The vast majority of taxi drivers here are polite and fair. Been here several months and only had 2 times when the meter was definitely rigged. My Spanish isn't too good but good enough to tell them that I was going to report them unless they charged a fair rate. One time the rate should have been around 7,000 pesos and they tried charging me 15,000 pesos. I told them I just took a taxi to come there and it was less traffic coming back. The guy in the end just told him to pay 7,000 pesos.

I hate people that try scamming tourists. Now I don't really make small talk when I go into a taxi. I used to be friendly and try to make conversation but now I just get in and don't make chit chat. I mostly use Didi or Uber but sometimes the wait time is too long and there are many taxis.

I never liked using the taxis because I always had to have cash and they never had any change. Even if they probably had change they told me they did not. Uber works good there except a few times they would send me a message from Uber asking if I could pay cash. I would answer no and sometimes they cancelled it. Seems to defeat the purpose of using Uber. That happened a few times and just told them to cancel.

We only had problems coming from EZE. The first taxi wanted a fortune and didn't want to run his meter. We quickly just ordered an Uber instead. Around town we have found them friendly and not had issues.
Never take a taxi with meter from EZE. It is easy to arrange an Uber. I don't think they are supposed to pick up there but I haven't ever had a problem ordering one there and never have to wait more than 5 minutes. I think drivers that have to drop off park near the side of the road and just wait to get a return ride back to the city.

My brother just took a comfort ride from Palermo Hollywood to EZE last week and was 25,000 pesos. Taking one from the airport to Palermo he only paid 16,900 pesos. Still a great deal!

I have read some reports lately of tourists getting fast meters. Seems like more scams out lately.

Never take a taxi with meter from EZE. It is easy to arrange an Uber. I don't think they are supposed to pick up there but I haven't ever had a problem ordering one there and never have to wait more than 5 minutes. I think drivers that have to drop off park near the side of the road and just wait to get a return ride back to the city.

My brother just took a comfort ride from Palermo Hollywood to EZE last week and was 25,000 pesos. Taking one from the airport to Palermo he only paid 16,900 pesos. Still a great deal!

I have read some reports lately of tourists getting fast meters. Seems like more scams out lately.
Taking a taxi outside of AEP airport used to be a scam fest but now it is a good experience. Very organized and have not had problems with fast meters.

Back