Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Black people in Argentina

I lived there, I know exactly what he is talking about. Everyone in their own bubble.
My brother lives in Irvine, California. He goes to UC Irvine and sent me this video today. This is one of the professors that teach there at the University! I am much happier in Mexico or Argentina but I wish I could find a way to make more money there. Salaries are very low there. I don't think it is just California. More of the US is being like dystopian societies. Canada also. I'm not sure what we can do about it. Outside of pockets I have visited in the Midwest or the South where I find people friendlier a lot of cities are like what this guy said in the video.

My brother lives in Irvine, California. He goes to UC Irvine and sent me this video today. This is one of the professors that teach there at the University! I am much happier in Mexico or Argentina but I wish I could find a way to make more money there. Salaries are very low there. I don't think it is just California. More of the US is being like dystopian societies. Canada also. I'm not sure what we can do about it. Outside of pockets I have visited in the Midwest or the South where I find people friendlier a lot of cities are like what this guy said in the video.
Problem is a lot of the kids today are spoiled and entitled. My daughter is a model student and worked hard all her life. She is in law school at Colombia and just because a lot of protests a lot of judges and places of employment are publicly stating that they will not employ ANYONE at their companies if they graduated from Colombia. The longer I am in the USA it feels like a distant place that I don't recognize. We are ready to retire and get out of the States.

I look at what is going on in the EU and many countries I don't recognize anymore. There is no border security and I see how it is changing the country. Many things don't make any sense anymore to me here.

The longer I am in the USA it feels like a distant place that I don't recognize. We are ready to retire and get out of the States. I look at what is going on in the EU and many countries I don't recognize anymore. There is no border security and I see how it is changing the country. Many things don't make any sense anymore to me here.

Things were getting out of hand before the pandemic, but in 2021, even in an affluent pocket, we did not feel safe anymore, but it wasn't just that, everything seemed to be changing so fast and for the worst. We feel much, much better here, in every sense.

Things were getting out of hand before the pandemic, but in 2021, even in an affluent pocket, we did not feel safe anymore, but it wasn't just that, everything seemed to be changing so fast and for the worst. We feel much, much better here, in every sense.
I agree. It's not that we don't feel unsafe. It is just that it doesn't feel like the same country I grew up in. As you say things are changing fast and not for the better!

I left the US before things changed too drastically. I just go back to the States to visit family each year and each time I go back things feel more tense. It has never felt dangerous to me but I am happy I made the leap to move out when I did. I don't regret it for a second. It's not that I feel any safer or more dangerous here. Just a sense of belonging.

Problem is a lot of the kids today are spoiled and entitled. My daughter is a model student and worked hard all her life. She is in law school at Colombia and just because a lot of protests a lot of judges and places of employment are publicly stating that they will not employ ANYONE at their companies if they graduated from Colombia. The longer I am in the USA it feels like a distant place that I don't recognize. We are ready to retire and get out of the States.

I look at what is going on in the EU and many countries I don't recognize anymore. There is no border security and I see how it is changing the country. Many things don't make any sense anymore to me here.
As someone younger I would agree with this. Many of my friends are working remote and in the past week a lot of employers are asking employees to come back to work. Many are just quitting their jobs instead. I told them not as great of a job market but so many just want to do whatever they want to do.

As someone younger I would agree with this. Many of my friends are working remote and in the past week a lot of employers are asking employees to come back to work. Many are just quitting their jobs instead. I told them not as great of a job market but so many just want to do whatever they want to do.
This was great. I think that many younger people today only live for today and not really any concern about tomorrow. They just spend all they make and don't think about tomorrow. These are great to listen to.

I agree. Things are getting too racialized. I saw this and thought it was very on target.

I have an American friend living in Chicago, and we always talk about this, the pressure of society, the mindset of just working and working, paying off student loans, even the pressure of reaching a certain age and having already formed a family. He's experiencing this at just 27 years old. Traveling and experiencing other places where life is seen differently has opened his mind. Often, I notice him feeling sad and depressed about life there, and I tell him to leave, but he says he has to settle his debts first. Lately, he's been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety... and he's noticed that everyone there is in their own world. He always tells me, "Americans live to work, they forget to live," and about the small things in life like friends, family... It's sad, so I hope he can immigrate soon.

I still haven't talked to or read anything online from someone that is black that said they were discriminated against in Argentina. Many blacks so they were freaked out that they didn't see many black people but no one I know or nothing I read online said they were discriminated against in Argentina.

Back