Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Credit Card real-world rate "MEP" transaction repo (Dec2023)

MEP 1347 right now, so hopefully the weekend stays hi, but get all your debit/credit card shopping on big purchases done now, if you want that nice rate!

(i'm still behind on rates, but if the real-world MEP is usually 100 pesos under the posted/government rate, then we're looking at a 1247 which i think is at an all-time high!

congrats on the legislature for passing the reform laws late last night! and RIP to the USA for that abysmal reality show "debate" with 2 war criminal 80-year-olds :'( (but RFK Jr did pretty well on his debate with John Stossel)

hopefully we can get all these DNI requirements deleted soon, with upcoming de-regulations in Argentina : )

MEP 1347 right now, so hopefully the weekend stays hi, but get all your debit/credit card shopping on big purchases done now, if you want that nice rate!

(i'm still behind on rates, but if the real-world MEP is usually 100 pesos under the posted/government rate, then we're looking at a 1247 which i think is at an all-time high!

congrats on the legislature for passing the reform laws late last night! and RIP to the USA for that abysmal reality show "debate" with 2 war criminal 80-year-olds :'( (but RFK Jr did pretty well on his debate with John Stossel)

hopefully we can get all these DNI requirements deleted soon, with upcoming de-regulations in Argentina : )
Thanks @StatusNomadicus! Hope you're doing good in Cordoba. Missed your posts. MEP is doing great! Agree about that sh*t show last night between Biden and Trump. Didn't see the RFK debate. Will have to go check it out.

Yes MEP I believe is at all time high. Central Bank is selling dollars again so they are holding down rates but the moment they stop, it should shoot higher.

RFK debate. Will have to go check it out.
2 hours 48 minutes, since it includes the CNN "debate" as well as John Stosell moderating RFK's answers:

stays hi,
high*** (was in a hurry to get downtown)

@Digital Nomad i just moved to Mendoza Province recently! first day today exploring the Microcentro and Palermo-equivalent area, and my initial impression is that it is cleaner than Corboba and BsAs, and no street dogs in the downtown shopping/university/Parque San Martin area, trash/poop/homeless were almost non-existent, and prices seem to be comparable to other cities (a giant Lomito sandwich was 10,600 Pesos with credit card (about $9.25 USD, no fries or drink but it was massive and great!)

MEP I believe is at all time high
great for those with Dollars, especially since prices have been pretty stable for 3 months (empanadas today were 550 Pesos with credit card, Bife De Chorizo beef cuts are still 9,000 to 10,000 per kilo, etc. - you seeing prices going up where you're at, or are you seeing the stability that i see?

1243 ARS/Dollar is your current Visa (debit) rate, as of 17:00 (today Friday 28Jun2024). so i paid almost exactly $10 USD for a big glass of good Malbec and a massive two-meal-equivalent Lomito with thick steak, along with many pieces of bread and dipping sauce. not sure how that compares to CABA since i left around March, but $10 for 2 meals at a popular restaurant ain't bad!

and best memes from the debate:

Last edited:
2 hours 48 minutes, since it includes the CNN "debate" as well as John Stosell moderating RFK's answers:

@Digital Nomad i just moved to Mendoza Province recently! first day today exploring the Microcentro and Palermo-equivalent area, and my initial impression is that it is cleaner than Corboba and BsAs, and no street dogs in the downtown shopping/university/Parque San Martin area, trash/poop/homeless were almost non-existent, and prices seem to be comparable to other cities (a giant Lomito sandwich was 10,600 Pesos with credit card (about $9.25 USD, no fries or drink but it was massive and great!)

great for those with Dollars, especially since prices have been pretty stable for 3 months (empanadas today were 550 Pesos with credit card, Bife De Chorizo beef cuts are still 9,000 to 10,000 per kilo, etc. - you seeing prices going up where you're at, or are you seeing the stability that i see?

1243 ARS/Dollar is your current Visa (debit) rate, as of 17:00 (today Friday 28Jun2024). so i paid almost exactly $10 USD for a big glass of good Malbec and a massive two-meal-equivalent Lomito with thick steak, along with many pieces of bread and dipping sauce. not sure how that compares to CABA since i left around March, but $10 for 2 meals at a popular restaurant ain't bad!

Glad to hear you moved to Mendoza. Very nice city. I've never seen stray street dogs there. I read some of your posts from Cordoba and sounded like quite a few there. It has been nice with lower inflation the past 2 months. It has slowed down here in BA too. Glad you are able to travel around Argentina. Sounds like a great experience.

Great memes. So true. 2 bad choices this year same as 4 years ago. Safe travels.

Have fun in Mendoza. Want to visit there. My girlfriend says it is nice there. Her family all loves wine. Do you plan to visit any wineries or vineyards? Prices here in the grocery stores and restaurants have stopped going up lately. For a while it was bad but last month or so finally seems to stop going up so much but some stores change prices up and down on some things. I do miss the supermarkets in the US. The higher rates make a difference. It was painful when it was only 1,000 to $1.

Safe travels.
gracias, Vince! any recommendations for doing 3 months in Mendoza July-September? (winter) - i'd like to have 3 months here, just like i have 3 months each in Buenos Aires and Cordoba (or more...if Mendoza feels 'right' after 3 months for me and my pup). so far, Aristides seems like the most hip (expensive) area, and very clean and close to campus, the big park, breweries, etc. - https://www.google.com/maps/place/calle+aristides/@-32.8919818,-68.8592174,17z/

stopped going up lately
agreed; milk was 1400/Liter like 3 months ago, and now i can find some sachets for 900, depending on the area. pork meat for my dog has been 3000-4000/kg consistently for months, which is very affordable since he is a fat boy. does your girlfriend mention the safety, Nomad? people say that Mendoza is safer than Cordoba, but there is an area south of Parque San Martin that gets a little "complicado" (says my Uber driver today)

and he said 250k-400k Pesos per month for a small house in Godoy Cruz, but it seems like there might be some street dogs in that area, and Airbnb is showing 100k Pesos/month for that type of housing with a patio and 2 bedrooms (there aren't houses downtown, obviously, like any big city...only apartments).

gracias, Vince! any recommendations for doing 3 months in Mendoza July-September? (winter) - i'd like to have 3 months here, just like i have 3 months each in Buenos Aires and Cordoba (or more...if Mendoza feels 'right' after 3 months for me and my pup). so far, Aristides seems like the most hip (expensive) area, and very clean and close to campus, the big park, breweries, etc. - https://www.google.com/maps/place/calle+aristides/@-32.8919818,-68.8592174,17z/

agreed; milk was 1400/Liter like 3 months ago, and now i can find some sachets for 900, depending on the area. pork meat for my dog has been 3000-4000/kg consistently for months, which is very affordable since he is a fat boy. does your girlfriend mention the safety, Nomad? people say that Mendoza is safer than Cordoba, but there is an area south of Parque San Martin that gets a little "complicado" (says my Uber driver today)

and he said 250k-400k Pesos per month for a small house in Godoy Cruz, but it seems like there might be some street dogs in that area, and Airbnb is showing 100k Pesos/month for that type of housing with a patio and 2 bedrooms (there aren't houses downtown, obviously, like any big city...only apartments).
Have fun in Mendoza @StatusNomadicus. I haven't been in a while but my friend lived there for a while and she had a dog but just a small pup. I think you mentioned you had a bigger dog. I don't know Mendoza too well but she lived in two different areas. One was Godoy Cruz and the other was Chacras de Coria.

I believe she lived in Chacras de Coria. She rented a decent sized house with a yard. She said there were a lot of parks there but it may be a bit further outside of the city. I'm not sure how many Airbnbs are in that area. She did say it was more expensive in that area.

She also liked Godoy Cruz and there are many parks there too and decent shopping centers there. It's known as a safe area.

Enjoy your time there. Mendoza is more laid back and nicer than Cordoba.

Have fun in Mendoza @StatusNomadicus. I haven't been in a while but my friend lived there for a while and she had a dog but just a small pup. I think you mentioned you had a bigger dog. I don't know Mendoza too well but she lived in two different areas. One was Godoy Cruz and the other was Chacras de Coria.

I believe she lived in Chacras de Coria. She rented a decent sized house with a yard. She said there were a lot of parks there but it may be a bit further outside of the city. I'm not sure how many Airbnbs are in that area. She did say it was more expensive in that area.

She also liked Godoy Cruz and there are many parks there too and decent shopping centers there. It's known as a safe area.

Enjoy your time there. Mendoza is more laid back and nicer than Cordoba.
Our good friend visit Mendoza but did not like it as much as Buenos Aires. They say too small. Most Russians come to Argentina come to live in Buenos Aires. It easier for them. I want visit Mendoza this year. We hear slower pace and less noise.

Aristides is probably the most expensive but I'm no expert on Mendoza. I'm not sure if any of the members are living there. But the location is good as there are a lot of restaurants and bars/cafes and nightlife closely. It's very close to the center of the city which you may like. A very walkable area which I know you like with your dog. I don't know if the other areas are as walkable.

My friend said like Buenos Aires, many places there are dog friendly. And you're not far from Parque General San Martin which is my favorite park in Mendoza.

Much like Buenos Aires, the downsides of that area is the noise. Just like I would never live in much of Soho because of the noise you have to watch which street you live on. It is quieter in the areas that Betsy mentioned.

Cool about living in different areas. I really like Buenos Aires. There is always something to do here. I'm not sure if Cordoba would be my style. Mendoza also might be too slow paced for me. My novia said she likes to visit Mendoza but wouldn't live there. She said it's a safe city but there are probably some sketchy parts just like BA or any city.

Wow those rents are really low for a house. I did hear that BA is the most expensive place in Argentina because for a lot of people it's the center of the universe and they don't want to be anywhere else.

Which city do you like the most so far?

bigger dog
40kg/90 pounds :p and everyone who calls him "gordito" can go on a run with us and see if they can do 6 miles straight like he can!

re: Mendoza, i didn't see a single loose dog in the centro, but as soon as i crossed south near Godoy Cruz/Chacras there were a few medium-sized loose dogs. maybe they're nice, and maybe they are going to get kicked? hard to know until you walk your dog...this is the difficulty of traveling with a pupperz (and $300 USD apartments that i could be renting have no patio/grass, so i end up paying double for a small house, or living outside of the city center with street dogs everywhere)

i'm currently haggling a few Airbnbs near the hipster street Aristides and the UofMendoza campus. hopefully i can get something cheap; my goal is 600 USD for a small house, but most are asking 1000 USD (usually Hosts will drop prices a lot when i ask)

too small
i'm around 40 years old and don't care about being in trendy places, so small sounds good to me! i like visiting big cities, but living in rural/country areas (i left Phoenix Arizona with 5 million people in the metro area, and moved to rural South Dakota, with less than a million people in the entire huge state, during COVID...so maybe my tastes are strange, hahah)
We hear slower pace and less noise.
i will report back! the campus/Aristides area looks trendy and nicer than Palermo Chico, in my first impression

does anyone who uses this forum regularly live anywhere other than CABA? i know @steveinbsas on the censored old forum was near Bahia Blanca, but i don't remember anyone who was elsewhere. there's a decent Facebook group for Cordoba, but i have no idea why they're there...Nuevo Cordoba/Guemes was awful (Ciudad Universitaria was nice, and barrio General Paz was pretty good)
Parque General San Martin
good taste! i ran a decent chunk of it and it's huge and very clean. lots of active folks, which was a strange contrast from the VERY FAT population of Mendoza (i thought Cordoba were fatties; Mendoza is even worse...there's no Lomito shortage here)

There is always something to do here
eh, i like the expression that "only boring people get bored" - i've had fun in Cheyenne Wyoming as well as Mexico City/NYC/BsAs huge ones. really all i need is some good affordable food and some patios to bring my dog to. the rest, i got out of my system when i was a young buck; spending money at clubs and bars doesn't do anything for me anymore. if you want to see some affordable houses, here's some examples in Mendoza:

1. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32500210
2. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/760079354515752401
3. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/800148986726594662

so far, CABA is the best for dog-walking. Cordoba is a little cheaper and has nice Lomito sandwiches (and the Sierras are within an hour). i'm too new to say whether Mendoza will be 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on my list. to-be-determined after 3 months of living :)

regarding MEP for you guys...i'm all updated up to Friday 28Jun2024 on twitter...all-time-high MEP real-world numbers??? what a strange year we're living in:

Great @StatusNomadicus let us know how you like it. I agree with you that smaller towns can be ok. I"m originally from NYC and love bigger cities. I'm not sure why but most expats end up in BA. I very rarely read posts from expats that live in other cities. I'm sure they are out there but some end up living in some other cities for a few months but seemingly end up in BA. BA is busier, louder and more traffic but I think many Americans can relate better here. It's fairly easy to adapt here even for people that don't speak Spanish.

Have fun in Mendoza.

good taste! i ran a decent chunk of it and it's huge and very clean. lots of active folks, which was a strange contrast from the VERY FAT population of Mendoza (i thought Cordoba were fatties; Mendoza is even worse...there's no Lomito shortage here)
:ROFLMAO: The last time I was there I was surprised to see many overweight there. Maybe people there aren't as active as people in CABA who walk quite a bit.

Great @StatusNomadicus let us know how you like it. I agree with you that smaller towns can be ok. I"m originally from NYC and love bigger cities. I'm not sure why but most expats end up in BA. I very rarely read posts from expats that live in other cities. I'm sure they are out there but some end up living in some other cities for a few months but seemingly end up in BA. BA is busier, louder and more traffic but I think many Americans can relate better here. It's fairly easy to adapt here even for people that don't speak Spanish.

Have fun in Mendoza.
Visited many cities in BA but wouldn't live anywhere else vs. BA. One of my ex-wives was from Mendoza. She was my favorite.

many Americans can relate better here
i think i've just become allergic to big cities :p i'm sooooo sick of people asking me for money when i'm sitting on a patio eating. it boils my blood that they can mess with you, but if they were eating at home they would be pissed if you knocked on their door and asked for money. relating-wise, i don't think people from rural Midwest areas would relate better to a huge Metro area like CABA, but for sure they'd have a better chance of hearing English spoken in BsAs. but i've always thought if you want to move somewhere, you should assimilate and learn the language :D so far, i found a giant 3-bedroom/2-bathroom house 13 mins from the main upscale street of Mendoza for $750/month USD via Zelle, month-to-month, so we'll see how it goes. it's -3C to 11C this week, but even today when it said it was 10C (50F) on my weather app, with no wind and fierce sunshine, i was tanning shirtless in the backyard. so it just really isn't that cold (of course when the sun goes down you need a hoodie to go to the store).

maybe just less European ancestry, so some kind of Native American/Inca style of body types that are prone to collecting fat with the 21st-century processed grains and sugars diets that are the only things sold in the kiosks? no idea. sometimes it's jsut poverty that causes people to eat like sh*t because the calorie-dense but nutrition-devoid foods are the cheapest (same as in the USA).

Your dog must be really happy there.
having a small house is definitely nice with a backyard versus having a 9th-floor apartment that your dog has to pee on a piece of artificial turf on the balcony drain...but here south of Mendoza in this poor area by the vineyards there are loose/wild/whatever dogs EVERYWHERE, so my dog actually hasn't left the house since we got here a couple weeks ago. he's used to running 3-6 miles with me at least twice a week, so i've had to throw tennis balls in the small backyard and exercise him that way, which is annoying and takes time. i'll soon be by @Vince's favorite mendocino park, where my pup will be frolicking like a crazy...i ran the city center 3 times now, and there are almost no dogs (very similar to the nice areas of CABA like Belgrano and Palermo). obviously as you get away from the downtown areas, more and more dogs appear. i find it strange that Argentina is so developed in so many ways, and claims to have a sanitary superiority with their bidets and all that, but the amount of Argentines who 'own' a dog (has a collar, they feed it, leave a water bowl out, it lays in front of their house, goes in and out of the yard) yet allow it to just roam around the streets is crazy! i know the dogs are smart, but every time i see a dead one on a highway, i think: 'man, how could that have been prevented?' - also, those dogs are chasing scooters and cyclists, and sometimes me when i run, so i can't be the only one that kicks them. why own a dog if you don't spend time with it and it is at risk for getting hurt and also it bothers people? very different culturally from the USA, even the country folk that have working dogs or outside-sleeping dogs.

fun fact i just realized when one of my old friends sent me a photo of a weekend trip: the area of Mendocino California has the same name as the adjective for someone from Mendoza, mendocino. i know it's all probably from Spain, but i thought it was pretty interesting my friend was in Mendocino at the same time i just got to Mendoza. travel really is cool to compare things and learn about the world.

wouldn't live anywhere else vs. BA
hm, i haven't found this so far. General Paz in Cordoba was pretty similar to BsAs. outside of the Palermo/Crespo/Belgrano/Nunez area (i'd say Recoleta, but the amount of weirdos near the tourist stuff and the train station make me hate Recoleta with all the beggar Peronists always lurking around), CABA has a ton of dog crap everywhere and tons of trash just like NYC. so far in Mendoza downtown, the trash seems a LOT less, prices are a little lower, parking is less crazy, less traffic, air seems cleaner, cars yield a little bit more, and there aren't cops riding around doubled-up on motorcycles with shotguns in their hands :p i'll leave a review after 3 months, but i'm not really seeing anything that BsAs has that Mendoza doesn't, other than a huge population. flights are more expensive, and have to route through SCL or EZE, most of the time. what did that ex-wife say was the best part of Mendoza?

-------------------------------

money/Twitter wise: i'm going to predict, based on nothing at all, that we saw the highest USD/Peso exchange rate yesterday. today's MEP:

maybe just less European ancestry, so some kind of Native American/Inca style of body types that are prone to collecting fat with the 21st-century processed grains and sugars diets that are the only things sold in the kiosks? no idea. sometimes it's jsut poverty that causes people to eat like sh*t because the calorie-dense but nutrition-devoid foods are the cheapest (same as in the USA).
That is a good point and probably what it is about body types. I noticed the same thing in Salta with more people overweight. They do haver delicious food there too.

I agree traveling is awesome!

Agree less trash in Mendoza vs. BA. I agree with you that many expats like going where they might hear English or be understood. I don't get that but I see it a lot here in BA.

i think i've just become allergic to big cities :p i'm sooooo sick of people asking me for money when i'm sitting on a patio eating. it boils my blood that they can mess with you, but if they were eating at home they would be pissed if you knocked on their door and asked for money. relating-wise, i don't think people from rural Midwest areas would relate better to a huge Metro area like CABA, but for sure they'd have a better chance of hearing English spoken in BsAs. but i've always thought if you want to move somewhere, you should assimilate and learn the language :D so far, i found a giant 3-bedroom/2-bathroom house 13 mins from the main upscale street of Mendoza for $750/month USD via Zelle, month-to-month, so we'll see how it goes. it's -3C to 11C this week, but even today when it said it was 10C (50F) on my weather app, with no wind and fierce sunshine, i was tanning shirtless in the backyard. so it just really isn't that cold (of course when the sun goes down you need a hoodie to go to the store).
Seems like many that venture to Argentina might be from bigger metro areas from their countries. Maybe that's why they like BA so much. I met a few people that visited other places and liked them ok but seem to end up back in BA. Great to hear you are enjoying Mendoza. That is quite a bit more space than some of your places you posted here in BA. Some looked very small. You can get some great values once you get out of CABA.
Tough finding a bigger property here in desirable hoods of BA without spending a ton of $$$. @StatusNomadicus $750/month sounds good for a place you like with tons of space.

having a small house is definitely nice with a backyard versus having a 9th-floor apartment that your dog has to pee on a piece of artificial turf on the balcony drain...but here south of Mendoza in this poor area by the vineyards there are loose/wild/whatever dogs EVERYWHERE, so my dog actually hasn't left the house since we got here a couple weeks ago. he's used to running 3-6 miles with me at least twice a week, so i've had to throw tennis balls in the small backyard and exercise him that way, which is annoying and takes time. i'll soon be by @Vince's favorite mendocino park, where my pup will be frolicking like a crazy...i ran the city center 3 times now, and there are almost no dogs (very similar to the nice areas of CABA like Belgrano and Palermo). obviously as you get away from the downtown areas, more and more dogs appear. i find it strange that Argentina is so developed in so many ways, and claims to have a sanitary superiority with their bidets and all that, but the amount of Argentines who 'own' a dog (has a collar, they feed it, leave a water bowl out, it lays in front of their house, goes in and out of the yard) yet allow it to just roam around the streets is crazy! i know the dogs are smart, but every time i see a dead one on a highway, i think: 'man, how could that have been prevented?' - also, those dogs are chasing scooters and cyclists, and sometimes me when i run, so i can't be the only one that kicks them. why own a dog if you don't spend time with it and it is at risk for getting hurt and also it bothers people? very different culturally from the USA, even the country folk that have working dogs or outside-sleeping dogs.

fun fact i just realized when one of my old friends sent me a photo of a weekend trip: the area of Mendocino California has the same name as the adjective for someone from Mendoza, mendocino. i know it's all probably from Spain, but i thought it was pretty interesting my friend was in Mendocino at the same time i just got to Mendoza. travel really is cool to compare things and learn about the world.

hm, i haven't found this so far. General Paz in Cordoba was pretty similar to BsAs. outside of the Palermo/Crespo/Belgrano/Nunez area (i'd say Recoleta, but the amount of weirdos near the tourist stuff and the train station make me hate Recoleta with all the beggar Peronists always lurking around), CABA has a ton of dog crap everywhere and tons of trash just like NYC. so far in Mendoza downtown, the trash seems a LOT less, prices are a little lower, parking is less crazy, less traffic, air seems cleaner, cars yield a little bit more, and there aren't cops riding around doubled-up on motorcycles with shotguns in their hands :p i'll leave a review after 3 months, but i'm not really seeing anything that BsAs has that Mendoza doesn't, other than a huge population. flights are more expensive, and have to route through SCL or EZE, most of the time. what did that ex-wife say was the best part of Mendoza?

-------------------------------

money/Twitter wise: i'm going to predict, based on nothing at all, that we saw the highest USD/Peso exchange rate yesterday. today's MEP:

Everyone has their own reasons for small vs. big city. I live in Los Angeles and like bigger cities. Love the ability to get just about any type of food I want any time. Go to the theatre or museums or broadway play. Sporting events or concerts and distinct neighborhoods.

You taught me something new tonight @StatusNomadicus. I didn't know a person from Mendoza was called a Mendocinan. Here in LA and throughout much of the Bay Area we have a healthy casual fast food called Mendocino Farms that is very good.

Back