Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Day 6-7

Interesting perspective as always, Vince. Foreigners usually make all the early money in stock markets in places like Argentina because they're not emotional or anchored to past debacles going back decades. Locals have trouble buying into a recovery until it's obvious to the whole world. That said, foreigners also lose the most by betting too early on false gods (Russia has burned so many people, so many times). I think the case for BA real estate is pretty easy though, it's so cheap for a such a great city that very little has to go right from here.
Exactly. Many locals just gave up on everything locally. There has never been anyone like Milei before in Argentina. I bought an apartment in BA several years ago and a great decision as I spend most of the year here. It is low now with inflation adjusted dollars. With mortgages entering the picture and with the tax amnesty it is kind of a no brainer if you're ok for mid term or longer term investment. Plus a good excuse to come back to the country as it sounds like you really are loving your trip @CraigM .

@CraigM how do you find the noise level in the city? What part of the city are you staying in? Is it noisy? I heard levels of noise pollution there are terrible. I was curious on your take?

@CraigM how do you find the noise level in the city? What part of the city are you staying in? Is it noisy? I heard levels of noise pollution there are terrible. I was curious on your take?
Didn't notice really. I'd say it's not very noisy for such a massive city with so much going on all the time. I'm in Palermo Soho on the 25th floor of a high rise, so I expected some noise to filter up but at 9pm on Sunday it's totally quiet even with the window open. I did get woken up one night by an ambulance, that was pretty loud but that's a pretty regular occurrence in NYC.

Didn't notice really. I'd say it's not very noisy for such a massive city with so much going on all the time. I'm in Palermo Soho on the 25th floor of a high rise, so I expected some noise to filter up but at 9pm on Sunday it's totally quiet even with the window open. I did get woken up one night by an ambulance, that was pretty loud but that's a pretty regular occurrence in NYC.
Thanks. Oh wow. I heard that highrises in Soho were non-existent. I guess being up that high is great for noise. My friends say their places were loud but they moved to Recoleta and said it's more quiet there.

Thanks. Oh wow. I heard that highrises in Soho were non-existent. I guess being up that high is great for noise. My friends say their places were loud but they moved to Recoleta and said it's more quiet there.
There aren't too many highrises in Palermo Soho at all because of the zoning. There are a few high buildings but typically not that high. Over in Palermo Hollywood there are more highrises. Being 25 floors up definitely would cut down on noise no matter where in the city you are in.

Back