Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Does anyone else find it strange Argentina still thinks they won the Falklands War?

Hilarious! So now "Milei gave the Malvinas to the UK". OK!

He also described Milei as a ”guy so coward that he already decided to hand over the Malvinas to the United Kingdom (...) Because he is a subordinate to the imperial powers. Here in Venezuela we do not subordinate ourselves to the imperial powers. We have not done it and we never will.”

Hilarious! So now "Milei gave the Malvinas to the UK". OK!

He also described Milei as a ”guy so coward that he already decided to hand over the Malvinas to the United Kingdom (...) Because he is a subordinate to the imperial powers. Here in Venezuela we do not subordinate ourselves to the imperial powers. We have not done it and we never will.”

This is what we call some serious SPIN. Ha.

Did anyone ask the good lady from the Falklands any questions?
No of course not. NONE of the people on the Falklands want to have anything to do with Argentina. Why would they? They never want to go back to Argentina. It should be the will of the people. I read somewhere once that those people would have to vote for it anyway and they would never vote for it. There is no turning back now, IMHO..

Did anyone ask the good lady from the Falklands any questions?
In the end, the locals there would never agree to lose their UK citizenship. I read Argentina bribed them with $2 million each at one point. I don't think many would even agree if Argentina agreed to pay which I doubt they ever could come up with that money.

In the end, the locals there would never agree to lose their UK citizenship. I read Argentina bribed them with $2 million each at one point. I don't think many would even agree if Argentina agreed to pay which I doubt they ever could come up with that money.

Argentina should never pay the islanders any money. If this country someday becomes wealthy again, the islanders might choose to become Argentine citizens.

Argentina should never pay the islanders any money. If this country someday becomes wealthy again, the islanders might choose to become Argentine citizens.
Agree 100%. With the way things are going in the UK you never know. My brother lives in the UK and he witnessed a stabbing the other day on the metro. He said stabbings there are common now. Maybe one day Argentina becomes wealthier again.

and USA, and many other "first-world" places, becoming less safe and more expensive. in the end, people will realize that being stuck to a piece of land isn't always the best for their family
Most of my friends didn't understand when I decided to move here many years ago. I could see the direction the US was headed in. People always fighting about politics. Half the population dead set fighting against the other. No one listens to reason. Taxes keep going up. Crime going up. Illegal migrants entering. What is happening today unlocked my worst nightmares. It does seem like politicians are bringing in migrants to eventually vote. I'm not sure but it is not the same country I was born in and lived most of my life. Argentina suits me just fine.

Most of my friends didn't understand when I decided to move here many years ago. I could see the direction the US was headed in. People always fighting about politics. Half the population dead set fighting against the other. No one listens to reason. Taxes keep going up. Crime going up. Illegal migrants entering. What is happening today unlocked my worst nightmares. It does seem like politicians are bringing in migrants to eventually vote. I'm not sure but it is not the same country I was born in and lived most of my life. Argentina suits me just fine.
Most people are too scared to make a big change or make up excuses for why they can't leave while continuing to live their unsatisfying lives back home. Of course not everyone has the means or opportunity to make such a move, but even those that can too often stay put. It takes a certain courage to go against the grain, against friends and family, and to find a more suitable place that fits your needs.

Most people are too scared to make a big change or make up excuses for why they can't leave while continuing to live their unsatisfying lives back home. Of course not everyone has the means or opportunity to make such a move, but even those that can too often stay put. It takes a certain courage to go against the grain, against friends and family, and to find a more suitable place that fits your needs.
Yes many American and Canadian friends are planning to leave in the next 2 years. I have never heard all my life so many people unhappy with their countries. Something is going on.

100%. It was not easy to make the decision. But I am glad I did. For several decades my focus was only on working. My life was only about working. Had a few friends get sick and one passed away and that just showed me to change my priorities in life. Got an offer at work to take an early pension and glad I did. They are not offering them anymore.

It might not be for everyone and not everyone will have the opportunity to do it but I am glad I did. The only thing I probably would have done differently was to have kept my house and just rented it as the value has gone up many times over. But hindsight is 20-20.

Back