Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Does anyone else notice their coffee recently not tasting good?

My preferred local brew is Super Cabrales, and the Carrefour Express near Pueyrredón y Peña has it for around 5k/250g bag, which ain’t bad in USD terms, considering the chino I bought it from when I moved to BA in 2022 had it for 1500/250g then.
How much is it now at the supermarket? Online it is 15,652 pesos for a 500g bag.

I was going to start a post about the lousy coffee here but did a search and found this post. I heard BA had a strong coffee culture so I thought all the cafes here would have great coffee and everywhere would have great coffee beans to buy. For the most part the coffee sucks here. What gives?
Yes you can read several posts about coffee here. It is possible to get good coffee here but you have to search around a bit. Locals love cafe torrado which is horrible but there are some good cafes as well. But great coffee beans aren't the easiest to find here for a reasonable price. Hopefully that changes soon.

Yes you can read several posts about coffee here. It is possible to get good coffee here but you have to search around a bit. Locals love cafe torrado which is horrible but there are some good cafes as well. But great coffee beans aren't the easiest to find here for a reasonable price. Hopefully that changes soon.
Ok thanks man. That explains it. I HATE Starbucks back home and it's hilarious as that is the place I have been buying coffee beans. I went to the grocery store and tried some but they were all horrible. Wierd. I thought most of the people here are from Italy and they have great coffee there. OK good to know.

I was going to start a post about the lousy coffee here but did a search and found this post. I heard BA had a strong coffee culture so I thought all the cafes here would have great coffee and everywhere would have great coffee beans to buy. For the most part the coffee sucks here. What gives?
Yes the coffee is very bitter here in many cafes. Now I understand why after reading this post. We were also surprised with the relatively low quality coffee here, especially at the grocery stores. Very strange considering it's proximately to Brazil and Colombia but I guess import taxes make it expensive.

Yes the coffee is very bitter here in many cafes. Now I understand why after reading this post. We were also surprised with the relatively low quality coffee here, especially at the grocery stores. Very strange considering it's proximately to Brazil and Colombia but I guess import taxes make it expensive.
Yes import taxes are very high. Hopefully that changes. But I actually think the vast majority of people there just have bad taste in coffee. Surprisingly many grew up on those horrible cafe torrado and their taste buds got used to it. More and more cafes have better quality coffee today. It used to be much worse but you can actually find some good coffee if you research now. But I agree that the good quality stuff is expensive. @Jakoval posted a thread how expensive some really good coffee costs there.

Ok thanks man. That explains it. I HATE Starbucks back home and it's hilarious as that is the place I have been buying coffee beans. I went to the grocery store and tried some but they were all horrible. Wierd. I thought most of the people here are from Italy and they have great coffee there. OK good to know.
Things at the cafe level are much much better than years past. I agree at the grocery stores it's tough to get better quality coffee beans. But cafes are much better than when I first moved here.

As people probably realize Argentina is not a coffee producing country and are stuck importing all their beans. Typically due to so many economic problems here the cafes tend to import more affordable vs. higher quality coffee beans affecting flavor and taste.

There is also a higher usage of robusta beans here which are lower quality compared to arabica beans making the taste more bitter. Also a lot of places here over roast their coffee beans which gives the coffee a burnt taste. Many cafes here do that and it irks me. Also, a VERY popular style of coffee is the cafe torrrado which is roasted with sugar. Locals love this crap. The sugar caramelizes and covers the coffee beans making the coffee sweeter but has a burnt flavor which overpowers the natural flavors of the coffee beans.

This process is illegal in many countries but here a generation or 2 makes it ingrained in their taste buds and they really enjoy that flavor. But more and more speciality coffee shops have entered the scene and I think there is more education about it but all the import bans and taxes makes it an expensive proposition for many to use great coffee beans.

Argentina is a complicated country and many people don't understand the complexities here that affect something as simple as trying to find good coffee.

Things at the cafe level are much much better than years past. I agree at the grocery stores it's tough to get better quality coffee beans. But cafes are much better than when I first moved here.

As people probably realize Argentina is not a coffee producing country and are stuck importing all their beans. Typically due to so many economic problems here the cafes tend to import more affordable vs. higher quality coffee beans affecting flavor and taste.

There is also a higher usage of robusta beans here which are lower quality compared to arabica beans making the taste more bitter. Also a lot of places here over roast their coffee beans which gives the coffee a burnt taste. Many cafes here do that and it irks me. Also, a VERY popular style of coffee is the cafe torrrado which is roasted with sugar. Locals love this crap. The sugar caramelizes and covers the coffee beans making the coffee sweeter but has a burnt flavor which overpowers the natural flavors of the coffee beans.

This process is illegal in many countries but here a generation or 2 makes it ingrained in their taste buds and they really enjoy that flavor. But more and more speciality coffee shops have entered the scene and I think there is more education about it but all the import bans and taxes makes it an expensive proposition for many to use great coffee beans.

Argentina is a complicated country and many people don't understand the complexities here that affect something as simple as trying to find good coffee.
Problem is many here like the bad quality. I think as the younger generation gets used to the better coffee things will change but many of the older population here like the bitter coffee.

Reactions: Bob

It amazes me that so many people would travel to Argentina without taking the time to learn about its culture and food. I mean, it's such a long and expensive trip, right? You'd think that people would come here already knowing that this city is not known for spicy food, great coffee, great waterfront views, American-style pizza, excellent quality clothing at affordable prices, and the list goes on.

It amazes me that so many people would travel to Argentina without taking the time to learn about its culture and food. I mean, it's such a long and expensive trip, right? You'd think that people would come here already knowing that this city is not known for spicy food, great coffee, great waterfront views, American-style pizza, excellent quality clothing at affordable prices, and the list goes on.
It isn't ruining my trip. Just comments. Many people don't spend oodles of time researching what the coffee or pizza is like. Just commenting on how things are here. I travel to lots of places and don't research specific details about how coffee is. It is just surprising for a big major city. But not ruining my trip.

To be fair before I came down here for my first time I never researched about how good or bad the coffee was or how the pizza was. I figured the same thing out on my first trip. Many years later married to an Argentine and the pizza still sucks and good coffee is hard to find. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@Wally, we can't have it all, can we? Have you been to Mexico? We found really good coffee there, from Oaxaca.

How long have you lived here? You know, they use a lot more cheese on pizzas now and I remember the crust being better too. With my classmates we would go to El Cuartito and Babieca often, at least once a week. Those pizzas were really good back then. Now they are way too cheesy.

Los Inmortales, on Paraná still makes a decent pizza.

@Wally, we can't have it all, can we? Have you been to Mexico? We found really good coffee there, from Oaxaca.

How long have you lived here? You know, they use a lot more cheese on pizzas now and I remember the crust being better too. With my classmates we would go to El Cuartito and Babieca often, at least once a week. Those pizzas were really good back then. Now they are way too cheesy.

Funny Sunny my girlfriend's mother said the same thing about El Cuartito. She said pizza used to be better but said the ingredients aren't as good now. I'm not sure what they could change in the ingredients to make it inferior now but she made a very similar comment about dough and crust. I do like Los Inmortales. I think the pizzas here have too much cheese but I just think that many people grew up on different flavor, dough, tomato sauce and it's different here.

The longer I'm here the less I try to compare things to back home.

Totally agree @Sunny. I would drive myself crazy if I tried to get the best of all worlds. Yes been to Mexico several times. I think they have probably the best food of all of Latin America. Yes, coffee from Oaxaca is quite good. Oaxaca has amazing food. I have been in BA since 2005 and made my first trip here in 2000 when it was still $1 USD = 1 peso.

I complain about the pizza here but honestly I will eat anything. Even bad pizza is good pizza.

The longer I'm here the less I try to compare things to back home.

Yes, that's what we do too. I still find myself thinking about the things I miss from North America, but it is mostly when I can't find things that should be easy to get here too, like, for example, a faucet with a sprayer. It's been driving me nuts. The five Airbnbs we stayed at were really nice places but the kitchen faucets did not have sprayers. This lovely place we bought didn't have it either. We had to go to Barugel to get something similar to the touchless Moen we were used to. No touchless there either but at least they had more variety. It's okay, though, things will get better and we all will have an easier time finding things we need/like here, as it should be.

Yes, that's what we do too. I still find myself thinking about the things I miss from North America, but it is mostly when I can't find things that should be easy to get here too, like, for example, a faucet with a sprayer. It's been driving me nuts. The five Airbnbs we stayed at were really nice places but the kitchen faucets did not have sprayers. This lovely place we bought didn't have it either. We had to go to Barugel to get something similar to the touchless Moen we were used to. No touchless there either but at least they had more variety. It's okay, though, things will get better and we all will have an easier time finding things we need/like here, as it should be.
I also try not to compare things to back in the States but I think it's human nature to stop comparing. It would be one thing if I didn't go back often but I go back at least once or twice a year to visit family and friends. And each time I go back I almost have to start all over again. I think it's ok to compare things to back home. I still hold out hope that some day things will change and we'll have more variety here at lower prices. If we have a shot with anyone it's with Milei.

He wants to get it to where we have Apple stores and other things at a reasonable price. @Sunny I always have to load up on things on my Amazon Wish List that I made for when I go home. I keep a running list and each time I go back to the States I buy it all and bring it with me. Even with Mercado Libre it's nothing compared to Amazon. On Amazon I can get anything and everything.

I do still find myself complaining quite a bit about things we can't get here. I know it's not a perfect world and many things here improved over the past years.

I'm always getting frustrated I can't just order things on Amazon. I have my girlfriend's ML account but things aren't all there and things are expensive. But she said the same thing as @Betsy Ross. She said before ML, Rappi, PedidosYa life here was much more difficult and more time consuming.

I keep a running list and each time I go back to the States I buy it all and bring it with me.

Ah, then you only have to wait six or so months to get the stuff you miss. I don't think we will be doing that, I'm tired of traveling such long distances. We fly business but I can't stand that much time on a plane anymore, and for some routes the redeye option is not available so spending 12+ hours during daytime, even in business class, does a terrible number on me.

So, tell me, do you take an empty suitcase with you, which comes back full of goodies from back home? Have you had any problems at the airport? An acquaintance told me that he had brought back some door locks for his apartments (which he rents on Airbnb) and last year the customs officer wanted him to pay taxes on that. This person said that he keeps all receipts for cases like that.

Ah, then you only have to wait six or so months to get the stuff you miss. I don't think we will be doing that, I'm tired of traveling such long distances. We fly business but I can't stand that much time on a plane anymore, and for some routes the redeye option is not available so spending 12+ hours during daytime, even in business class, does a terrible number on me.

So, tell me, do you take an empty suitcase with you, which comes back full of goodies from back home? Have you had any problems at the airport? An acquaintance told me that he had brought back some door locks for his apartments (which he rents on Airbnb) and last year the customs officer wanted him to pay taxes on that. This person said that he keeps all receipts for cases like that.
I also hate flying now and limit trips once a year usually around the end of the year and visit family during Christmas. I take an empty suitcase with me each time and fill it up with clothes, towels, sheets (which I find are very low quality here and very expensive for what you get), some electronics, spices and food items I can't get here. I always bring back an extra iPhone and easily sell it here. Just take everything out of their original packages and remove tags. Carry iPhone on you. I haven't had problems in many years doing this. I do have the receipts in case asked but they mostly targeting the locals bringing stuff to sell.

Back