Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Having single-digit inflation is a good start

We continue to celebrate that inflation is no longer a double-digit number. It is estimated that June's inflation will be higher than May's but still below 5%... we're on the right track.

Indeed, it was less than 5%, exactly 4.46%. Although inflation was higher than in May, it decreased on an annual level.

It is still a VERY good progress. I didn't think they could tame inflation this quickly. But they need to halt the increases in utility rates and transportation which it sounds like President Milei agreed to do today.

Inflation in the supermarket is definitely falling. This guy has kept track and for 2 months, there was only a 1,000 peso difference (about $0.75 USD cents) for the same basket of goods. We are on the right track.

This definitely is noticeable. In fact, most of my friends that did not vote for Milei have quieted down lately and willing to give him a chance to see how things will turn out. They admit that inflation like this would have been a disaster had he not won. So I think it is giving people a little patience to wait and see how things turn out.

This definitely is noticeable. In fact, most of my friends that did not vote for Milei have quieted down lately and willing to give him a chance to see how things will turn out. They admit that inflation like this would have been a disaster had he not won. So I think it is giving people a little patience to wait and see how things turn out.
Some things increase more. You can see more of the breakdown here.

The Minister of Economy promised a 1% inflation rate for September. We’ll see if things continue on the right track, although we know that the economy here always surprises us, and nothing is predictable.

I am not sure why some are so impressed with Milei. We are already almost 8 months in from his term and besides inflation slowing down a bit we still are with many problems and broken promises.

- Inflation is still very high and one of the highest in the world
- CEPO is still in place
- Salaries are still very low
- Negative interest rates
- Federal Reserve cash is not building up reserves
- GDP is going down with the recession
- Central Bank is not closed like he said it would be
- USD isn't being used as default currency

Things will fail just as they typically do. Very little positive change.

The Minister of Economy promised a 1% inflation rate for September. We’ll see if things continue on the right track, although we know that the economy here always surprises us, and nothing is predictable.

I think we're on the right track, July's inflation was just 4%. I’m still applauding this economic team!

These are the painful statistics from Milei's era: According to the Argentine Catholic University, 63% of Argentine children and adolescents live in poverty, with 16.2% in extreme poverty, the highest figures recorded since 2010. This is truly heartbreaking.

Although food prices aren’t rising as quickly overall, some specific products are still going up a lot. That’s why people sometimes say they don’t trust the inflation numbers, because the drop in many products isn’t reflected on supermarket shelves. I think there should be an agency to regulate this. Still, I believe we’re on the right track. Having a lower number each month is the result of a lot of effort.

Back