Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Expect this sort of thing to keep happening with Javier Milei. This is the President you elected. Previously the government had a law they couldn't raise it much more than 11% a month. Now you are seeing the fire and rain of Milei. You talk about inflation under Massa. True. But they weren't raising healthcare premiums 40% in one month! You expats better hope the blue dollar goes back up after January or something tells me that many of you will be leaving soon.
I voted for Milei but I have to admit this is a crazy high increase to go overnight for the typical Joe. I can afford this but I'm not sure my Porteño friends can absorb this kind of blow. They are talking about having to drop their private insurance for the first time in their lives. I think people realize that change needs to happen and prices need to go up but I'm not sure how dropping the 1.5% ITI taxes for fairly wealthy people that are selling properties and raising healthcare premiums on everyday average citizens by 40% overnight makes sense.

Taxing the hell out of the struggling middle class is probably not going to end up well. I admit things are still relatively affordable for me but I have my pension in US dollars. My friends are all making pesos.

I voted for Milei but I have to admit this is a crazy high increase to go overnight for the typical Joe. I can afford this but I'm not sure my Porteño friends can absorb this kind of blow. They are talking about having to drop their private insurance for the first time in their lives. I think people realize that change needs to happen and prices need to go up but I'm not sure how dropping the 1.5% ITI taxes for fairly wealthy people that are selling properties and raising healthcare premiums on everyday average citizens by 40% overnight makes sense.

Taxing the hell out of the struggling middle class is probably not going to end up well. I admit things are still relatively affordable for me but I have my pension in US dollars. My friends are all making pesos.
I also voted for Milei and I still feel like with Massa things would be a disaster. Would the blue rate be higher? Sure. But I don't think problems would be fixed where with Milei I feel like stuff is getting sorted out. I agree with you on price increases of this magnitude. I don't think it's a good idea to raise healthcare premiums this much overnight.

You mentioned the ITI tax and I just saw this article:

“This repeal surprises me because it is one of the most representative funds in the collection. We are supposed to be at a time when, on the one hand, they want to make strong structural reforms and, on the other, the phrase 'there is no money' is repeated," says Julián González Mantelli, city notary and legal-notary advisor. -tax.

The ITI tax, which has been in force since 1991 under law 23,905, is 1.5% of the value of the property. “For example, in a sale for US$200,000, the seller's tax is US$3,000, which at the value of the official dollar ($827.25) would be $2,481,750,” illustrates the notary and adds: “If someone makes that sale until If this law is approved, you have to pay more than $2 million for the ITI, but if you make the sale after the hypothetical approval of the project, you would save it.” This would result in a possible paralysis of property sales operations until the definition of this tax is known.

During the month of November, the College of Notaries of the City of Buenos Aires registered 4,068 purchase and sale operations, which added up to atotal amount of $132,080 million. The collection for that month alone from these operations would have been $1,981.2 million with 1.5% of the ITI.

Expect this sort of thing to keep happening with Javier Milei. This is the President you elected. Previously the government had a law they couldn't raise it much more than 11% a month. Now you are seeing the fire and rain of Milei. You talk about inflation under Massa. True. But they weren't raising healthcare premiums 40% in one month! You expats better hope the blue dollar goes back up after January or something tells me that many of you will be leaving soon.
So after two weeks in power , Milei is to blame for this increase?

It has absolutely nothing to with Alberto and Massa not allowing all medical companies to increase their charges in line with the increase in costs?

I am sure you will be telling us very soon that this month's inflation is Mileis fault as well....

It has absolutely nothing to with Alberto and Massa not allowing all medical companies to increase their charges in line with the increase in costs?

I am sure you will be telling us very soon that this month's inflation is Mileis fault as well....
I totally agree. Sure it's painful for everyone. No one is disputing that. My heartaches for my Porteño friends but this escalation has been building up for years. As @GlasgowJohn mentioned, there is a cause and effect when you artificially manipulate things which is what Fernandez as President and Massa as Minister of the Economy did. They are really the culprits here. Not Milei.

I've found that people need someone to blame when bad things are happening. It's what helps them sleep at night. It may not be the truth but it makes them feel better blaming someone that tells them the truth. That is what we are seeing here.

I also voted for Milei and I still feel like with Massa things would be a disaster. Would the blue rate be higher? Sure. But I don't think problems would be fixed where with Milei I feel like stuff is getting sorted out. I agree with you on price increases of this magnitude. I don't think it's a good idea to raise healthcare premiums this much overnight.

You mentioned the ITI tax and I just saw this article:

“This repeal surprises me because it is one of the most representative funds in the collection. We are supposed to be at a time when, on the one hand, they want to make strong structural reforms and, on the other, the phrase 'there is no money' is repeated," says Julián González Mantelli, city notary and legal-notary advisor. -tax.

The ITI tax, which has been in force since 1991 under law 23,905, is 1.5% of the value of the property. “For example, in a sale for US$200,000, the seller's tax is US$3,000, which at the value of the official dollar ($827.25) would be $2,481,750,” illustrates the notary and adds: “If someone makes that sale until If this law is approved, you have to pay more than $2 million for the ITI, but if you make the sale after the hypothetical approval of the project, you would save it.” This would result in a possible paralysis of property sales operations until the definition of this tax is known.

During the month of November, the College of Notaries of the City of Buenos Aires registered 4,068 purchase and sale operations, which added up to atotal amount of $132,080 million. The collection for that month alone from these operations would have been $1,981.2 million with 1.5% of the ITI.
I think any reduction in taxes is a good thing. I will never complain about a reduction in taxes for people that take the time to invest in real estate. Plenty of money is made in a real estate transaction. A tremendous amount actually when you consider the Escribano fees + IVA, the realtor's fee + IVA, impuesto de sellos (stamp taxes), capital gains taxes and various other fees. Anything you can do to encourage investment the better.

This is exactly correct. I'm a bit stumped at people that are complaining so much about Milei. The guy has been office for a mere number of DAYS. Bad actions have consequences. You are seeing that with the YPF expropriation and other things. Things were artificial and Argentina was on life support yet they were spending money they didn't have.

Prices were artificially low. It wasn't realistic. It was all a fantasy. A mirage in the dessert. Reality sometimes hurts when you have to face it. Businesses go out of business when they can't charge what they need to charge. And at the end of the day someone has to pay the bill. Argentines had subsidized artificial and FAKE rates on electricity, gas, water and many other things.

I feel bad for the locals. I have many friends and family and employees living in Buenos Aires. They aren't wealthy people. They are real people. But we all have to do our part to "fix" Argentina. No one said it won't be painful for everyone. I feel we would be in more of a catastrophic situation if Massa were elected. Just more of the same.

I looked into getting a healthcare plan as I want to possibly move here. I went to OSDE today and stood in line a while and they said that I can't buy health insurance without having a DNI. Does anyone know any plans you can buy without having residency here?

On a positive note I ran into an American that got hit by a taxi. The taxi ran off but they brought him to a hospital as he broke his leg and it was a public hospital and he was telling me he paid almost nothing at all. Although he was there a few hours. You'd NEVER see this in the USA.

Another data point. I have healthcare insurance via Sancor Salud, 2 adults, and I'm 39 and my wife is 38. There was a 41.85% increase in January, 29.50% in February. Currently paying $80/month, going to $115/month in January, will be $157.82 in February.

Still dirt cheap so I can't complain. I think people need to keep everything relative. I agree tough on locals but us expats can't complain. The quality of healthcare here is amazing compared to back home. I checked what we would pay back home for comparable coverage and it would be about $925/month. So needless to say we are happy.

Also, I agree with the others there is probably a period where blue dollar will go back up. If so it gets cheaper. But even assuming no, this is pretty good.

The
I looked into getting a healthcare plan as I want to possibly move here. I went to OSDE today and stood in line a while and they said that I can't buy health insurance without having a DNI. Does anyone know any plans you can buy without having residency here?

On a positive note I ran into an American that got hit by a taxi. The taxi ran off but they brought him to a hospital as he broke his leg and it was a public hospital and he was telling me he paid almost nothing at all. Although he was there a few hours. You'd NEVER see this in the USA.
Hospital Aleman used to give you a plan with your passport - not sure if its still the case.

The

Hospital Aleman used to give you a plan with your passport - not sure if its still the case.
Thank you @GlasgowJohn I will go to their office on Monday and see. I've gone to several others and they say impossible without a DNI. I also read some reports banks are shutting off bill payment access for people that opened their bank accounts without a DNI. I wonder the rationale behind this new move? Any ideas? I will report back once I go to Hospital Aleman. Thanks.

Yes, Pink Panther is correct. Too good to be true! I saw this in my email this morning. 39.80% increase starting February 14, 2024. Ouch.

View attachment 1141
My son with OSDE got the same email. He just sent it to me. I told him I already knew. He asked how and I told him to sign up for ExpatsBA.com the fastest source of all Buenos Aires news!

I don't agree that all vaccines are bad for you. Many are well-documented that they are effective but I am not going to trust a vaccine that was fast-tracked. Vaccines like Polio and many others have proven to be effective and safe
highly recommend you watch Shot in the Dark by Candace Owens (mini-series) and see what you think!

I watch this. Thanks much for the recommendation. Wow, I not know vaccines are so bad for you. I didn't get Covid shot and now I never get any shot!
This isn't true. Vaccines are proven to be effective. I agree COVID vaccine was rushed but vaccines have proven to be very effective. Anti-vaxxers are just plain wrong.

Vaccines are considered one of the most important advances in modern medicine and have greatly improved our quality of life by reducing or eliminating many serious infectious diseases

For over a decade now, I've chosen not to pay a single penny towards what's labeled as "medical/health insurance." Nine years ago, I decided to opt out of Medicare Part B, which is slated to cost $185 USD per month come 2024. Let me tell you, I've firmly decided that I won't be returning to the USA for any reason, health care included. (No, I'm not on the run or wanted by the FBI).

You see, where I'm currently residing, public health care is not only accessible but even more so than when I had Medicus coverage. I take care of the routine exams – the lab tests, hearing check, and EKG needed for my driving permit renewal – all out of pocket. Thanks to the wonders of WhatsApp, I can easily schedule appointments, and the wait time is a mere 10-15 minutes or less. Plus, the costs are pleasantly low – less than $30 USD for lab tests, under $15 USD for the electrocardiogram, and about $10 USD for the hearing test.

As for my concerns about cancer, those have dwindled considerably. I learned that cutting out sugar – from cookies, bread, candy, crackers, pasta, rice, and even fruit – deprives cancer cells of their fuel. It's been a good 5 years since I embraced this change while still in my late 50's. And would you believe it? Alcohol hasn't touched my lips in 9 years.

On a personal note, I bid farewell to looking like I was going to have a baby and having bigger breasts than my girlfriend, maintaining a healthy BMI of 20.

My secret? A diet and lifestyle that has become my ultimate health insurance. I will occasionally eat some fruits every now and again but that's because I have a grove of trees on my property.

Take it from me, my friend, investing in your well-being pays the best dividends.
@sophos,

I genuinely express my concern for your well-being and sincerely hope that the public health services where you live in the "boonies" surpass the challenges faced in Greater Buenos Aires. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law, who lacks private insurance, recently encountered a stroke and is currently in a sizable, ostensibly "modern" facility in here in Buenos Aires. Surprisingly, much of the expected care, such as bathing, is anticipated to be provided by the family. However, it's disconcerting to note that essential items like towels, toilet paper, drinking water for the patient, and even a pillow are not provided. Despite the facility's considerable size, spanning an entire city block, he had to be transported elsewhere for an MRI due to their inoperative equipment. Regrettably, his wife has previously had to bring her own surgical supplies for even routine procedures.

In stark contrast, my daughter, who utilized OSDE during her childbirth in April, experienced a significantly higher standard of care. The disparity between her experience and what my sister-in-law is currently enduring is striking. While securing appointments and routine tests might be straightforward for you, I sincerely hope that, in the unfortunate event of a life-threatening situation, your care will meet the standards upheld by private health services.

streaming services
i paid for DailyWirePlus when Jordan Peterson was doing academic lectures on it, so that's how i had access to it. i don't know how easy it is to pirate, but DW+ is slowly releasing episodes for free, once all the subscribers have had the content first. here's her youtube page has some stuff.

This isn't true. Vaccines are proven to be effective. I agree COVID vaccine was rushed but vaccines have proven to be very effective. Anti-vaxxers are just plain wrong.

Vaccines are considered one of the most important advances in modern medicine and have greatly improved our quality of life by reducing or eliminating many serious infectious diseases
Andy, highly recommend you watch the 3 episodes below. that's the entire premise of my post; that we've been gaslit about COVID-19 vaccines, and once you start looking at the rest of them, you'll find some very alarming things that are "safe and effective." you can't just dismiss me as an anti-vaxxer when my whole point was that we've been lied to about what vaccines have done since the 1970s, and that the government has a special revolving-door relationship with giants like Pfizer. NIH isn't a good source anymore for everything; remember the FDA said 'don't be a horse' by taking Ivermectin, one of the world's most amazing drugs? (my dog takes it monthly for Heartworm/etc. prevention). thus, FDA isn't a great source either, considering their funding.

please watch that first episode at least, before dismissing it. this isn't some InfoWars stuff; it's using government studies and sources to show what the currently-mandated-72-vaccine-schedule means for real-world parents.

Episode 1, HPV/Gardasil:
Episode 2, VitaminK shot:
Episode 3, not vaccine-related title, about Circumcision:

the rest will drop this year i think! i watched the whole series a couple months ago.

@sophos,

I genuinely express my concern for your well-being and sincerely hope that the public health services where you live in the "boonies" surpass the challenges faced in Greater Buenos Aires. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law, who lacks private insurance, recently encountered a stroke and is currently in a sizable, ostensibly "modern" facility in here in Buenos Aires. Surprisingly, much of the expected care, such as bathing, is anticipated to be provided by the family. However, it's disconcerting to note that essential items like towels, toilet paper, drinking water for the patient, and even a pillow are not provided. Despite the facility's considerable size, spanning an entire city block, he had to be transported elsewhere for an MRI due to their inoperative equipment. Regrettably, his wife has previously had to bring her own surgical supplies for even routine procedures.

In stark contrast, my daughter, who utilized OSDE during her childbirth in April, experienced a significantly higher standard of care. The disparity between her experience and what my sister-in-law is currently enduring is striking. While securing appointments and routine tests might be straightforward for you, I sincerely hope that, in the unfortunate event of a life-threatening situation, your care will meet the standards upheld by private health services.

I'd like to emphasize and share my experience on this matter.

Upon my return to Argentina and while awaiting private health insurance, I faced a worsening fever (reaching 39.9 and climbing) due to a Urinary Tract Infection that wasn't responding to oral antibiotics. I had no choice but to seek help at the public hospital here in CABA. The ordeal was quite distressing, as it took a staggering 9 hours to be seen. While the doctors were undoubtedly competent when I finally got attention, I can't help but feel grateful it wasn't a more severe condition.

The entire experience was a complete chaos, with a lack of supplies for basic procedures like blood work, absence of soap, toilet paper, or even toilet seats in the restroom, broken chairs, and no heating in the lobby.

In stark contrast, my experience at Favaloro was swift, clean, and well-stocked.
I want to make it clear that the doctors and nurses in public hospitals are undoubtedly great, likely more experienced than their private counterparts due to the variety of cases they handle. However, the challenge lies in accessing their services, receiving treatment, and securing follow-up appointments. It's an issue that needs serious attention and improvement.

Oh, surprise, surprise! The premiums are soaring, but who would have guessed, right? The real mystery, to me at least, is trying to unravel the enigma of the actual price hikes for procedures that the self-insured folks will generously "shoulder." Good luck pinning down that elusive information.

@sophos,

I'd like to emphasize and share my experience on this matter.

Upon my return to Argentina and while awaiting private health insurance, I faced a worsening fever (reaching 39.9 and climbing) due to a Urinary Tract Infection that wasn't responding to oral antibiotics. I had no choice but to seek help at the public hospital here in CABA. The ordeal was quite distressing, as it took a staggering 9 hours to be seen. While the doctors were undoubtedly competent when I finally got attention, I can't help but feel grateful it wasn't a more severe condition.

The entire experience was a complete chaos, with a lack of supplies for basic procedures like blood work, absence of soap, toilet paper, or even toilet seats in the restroom, broken chairs, and no heating in the lobby.

In stark contrast, my experience at Favaloro was swift, clean, and well-stocked.
I want to make it clear that the doctors and nurses in public hospitals are undoubtedly great, likely more experienced than their private counterparts due to the variety of cases they handle. However, the challenge lies in accessing their services, receiving treatment, and securing follow-up appointments. It's an issue that needs serious attention and improvement.
I completely agree with both of these posts. There is no way I'd live in a foreign country like Argentina with no healthcare coverage. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Back