Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Ah, the fond memories of my grand entrance into Argentina back in the golden year of 2014. Picture this: I wake up one fine day, feeling like I've just hopped on a merry-go-round. Living the dream in Palermo Viejo, mind you. Now, coming from the land of lavish U.S. hospitals, I had no clue about the thrilling world of Argentine healthcare.

In my dizzy stupor, I decided to grace The Durand (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_Durand) with my presence. Oh, what a delight! Complaints echoing in the air, a three-hour marathon of waiting, and the layout – oh, just an aesthetic masterpiece, let me tell you. The place in such a horrible condition that I felt compelled to leave unattended. Who wouldn't want a taste of that healthcare paradise? Public hospitals are ok if you're to too sick but NOT a good idea if you have serious issues. Living here with no insurance coverage is not wise.

Just an FYI to everyone. I'm thinking of possibly moving to Buenos Aires. I need to see but no way I can move without setting up health insurance as I heard some horror stories. So the information about people not able to sign up for private policies is not true. Or at least that is what some of the contacts today I talked to. I waited for hours on the phone but they finally sent me some contacts.

Swiss Medical and the German Hospital claim to do it with a Passport. Swiss Medical the minimum contract is 6 months and Hospital Aleman (German Hospital) the minimum contract is 3 months. Costs vary based on ages and plans so you can contact them. Both contacts that I got assigned asked me not to post their phone #'s online but feel free to send me a DM and I will send you their WhatsApp's. But both said no problem not having a DNI.

It's all in who you know right? Uncle Wong has all the contacts!

PS. No way in hell I'd go to a public hospital unless my life depended on it. (And maybe even then I wouldn't). I talked to a guy that I met up with in a restaurant. He heard me speaking in Spanish and was surprised as I am of Asian decent. I asked him about healthcare and how good the public hospitals are. He heard me on the phone with Swiss Medical and was over hearing my conversation and told me it was smart. He mentioned that his father was a surgeon at a public hospital and the hospital did not have basic supplies. He said that he had to provide his own surgical instruments for the surgery! So just beware!

I think if there was some emergency, I'd just ask them to send me to a private hospital and just hope the bill wasn't like USA pricing. I have NO idea how much it would be but I'm guessing it's not $200 USD for an aspirin like the USA hospitals!

Just an FYI to everyone. I'm thinking of possibly moving to Buenos Aires. I need to see but no way I can move without setting up health insurance as I heard some horror stories. So the information about people not able to sign up for private policies is not true. Or at least that is what some of the contacts today I talked to. I waited for hours on the phone but they finally sent me some contacts.

Swiss Medical and the German Hospital claim to do it with a Passport. Swiss Medical the minimum contract is 6 months and Hospital Aleman (German Hospital) the minimum contract is 3 months. Costs vary based on ages and plans so you can contact them. Both contacts that I got assigned asked me not to post their phone #'s online but feel free to send me a DM and I will send you their WhatsApp's. But both said no problem not having a DNI.

PS. No way in hell I'd go to a public hospital unless my life depended on it. (And maybe even then I wouldn't). I talked to a guy that I met up with in a restaurant. He heard me speaking in Spanish and was surprised as I am of Asian decent. I asked him about healthcare and how good the public hospitals are. He heard me on the phone with Swiss Medical and was over hearing my conversation and told me it was smart. He mentioned that his father was a surgeon at a public hospital and the hospital did not have basic supplies. He said that he had to provide his own surgical instruments for the surgery! So just beware!

I think if there was some emergency, I'd just ask them to send me to a private hospital and just hope the bill wasn't like USA pricing. I have NO idea how much it would be but I'm guessing it's not $200 USD for an aspirin like the USA hospitals!

@Uncle Wong , we are with the Hospital Aleman and we're pretty happy with the treatment we have had over the years. We have been with them for 14 years.

When we signed up I only had a passport. I got my DNI about 3/4 years later.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

For what it is worth , the Hospital Aleman was the official hospital for the US government when Obama visited Argentina in March 2016

Last edited:
@Uncle Wong , we are with the Hospital Aleman and we're pretty happy with the treatment we have had over the years. We have been with them for 14 years.

For what it is worth , the Hospital Aleman was the official hospital for the US government when Obama visited Argentina in march 2016
Thank you @GlasgowJohn! I am waiting for my quote that they are preparing. Can I ask what plan you are on? And how much are you paying? I'm just trying to prepare myself how much it would cost. I know it will vary depending on age but I'm trying to get an idea and I think it would help others as well. Thanks.

Thank you @GlasgowJohn! I am waiting for my quote that they are preparing. Can I ask what plan you are on? And how much are you paying? I'm just trying to prepare myself how much it would cost. I know it will vary depending on age but I'm trying to get an idea and I think it would help others as well. Thanks.
let me get back to you a little later, if that's OK - Just checking out to go for dinner with the family!

For what it is worth , the Hospital Aleman was the official hospital for the US government when Obama visited Argentina in March 2016
Two GREAT data points. There is so much false information floating out there on websites so it's great to have real live information that is accurate. This forum is amazing!

Public hospitals are grappling with financial constraints and facing an overwhelming influx of non-taxpaying foreigner individuals seeking complimentary medical services. It is proposed that state-funded healthcare facilities be exclusively available to taxpaying residents, while non-residents should incur charges for non-emergency medical care.

The existing scenario witnesses a substantial influx of individuals from neighboring countries to Argentina, drawn by the prospect of obtaining free medical services, ranging from essential treatments to elective procedures such as plastic surgery.

Wow, they probably all will follow suit. :( If one does it means they all will. All in cahoots.
Yip this is the so called free market. I appreciate that they have had to keep a hold on premiums with the previous government but two big increases in two months is beginning to look like a price cartel.

In any case the whole pre paga scenario will change this year.

You heard it here firsT.

All pòlocies will cover the cost of hospitalization and doctor-prescribed tests.

For regular appointments and check ups , you will pay the doc direct.

I am actually OK with that.

Yip this is the so called free market. I appreciate that they have had to keep a hold on premiums with the previous government but two big increases in two months is beginning to look like a price cartel.

In any case the whole pre paga scenario will change this year.

You heard it here firsT.

All pòlocies will cover the cost of hospitalization and doctor-prescribed tests.

For regular appointments and check ups , you will pay the doc direct.

I am actually OK with that.
The question will be how much will those direct to doctor appointments be?

The question will be how much will those direct to doctor appointments be?
My cardiologist thinks it won't be too much. he sees it as a form of keeping the time wasters away from the surgery.

I already have a gentleman's agreement with my guy. I bring him non electronic family stuff from the USA and he gives me a deal on the one to one consult.

My cardiologist thinks it won't be too much. he sees it as a form of keeping the time wasters away from the surgery.

I already have a gentleman's agreement with my guy. I bring him non electronic family stuff from the USA and he gives me a deal on the one to one consult.
That's genius! Is he just using it for his family? Like iPhones and stuff? That's a genius move! I need to do something like that.

I'm an old fart. I'm already in my mid 70's. I'm probably uninsurable in Argentina. Nobody wants to seem to insure me. I'm pretty out of shape and past my prime. It may be time to consider something realistic like moving to a crappy town like Tijuana and utilize my Medicare. I'm not getting any younger and I foresee more and more health issues.

I'm an old fart. I'm already in my mid 70's. I'm probably uninsurable in Argentina. Nobody wants to seem to insure me. I'm pretty out of shape and past my prime. It may be time to consider something realistic like moving to a crappy town like Tijuana and utilize my Medicare. I'm not getting any younger and I foresee more and more health issues.
Give the Hospital Aleman a call. Or walk in as there always three of four advisers ( sorry sales men ) sitting in reception.

So, got this gem of an email from Sancor yesterday. They're like, "Hold on, we're breaking down that jaw-dropping 70% increase into bite-sized monthly chunks. First, let's toss you a cool 40%, and next month, just to keep the thrill alive, we'll add a modest 30%."

Well, what do you know? Checked my account, and instead of the grand entrance of around 103K, they casually snagged a cool 80K. Such generosity, right? Mystery solved! Thanks for the heads up, Sancor. What would I do without your financial rollercoaster surprises?

Back