Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Visas How complicated is it to obtain residency in Argentina?

legend

Getting residency in Argentina isn't usually that complicated for foreigners. It depends on the type of visa you apply for, but generally, you just need to gather some documents, like proof of income and background checks. It might take a bit to process, but it's not too difficult. I think this guy just had bad luck, it must be frustrating to start the process from scratch again. If you want to make it easier, it might be a good idea to talk to a lawyer or someone specialized in immigration.

What’s your experience with this?

Getting residency in Argentina isn't usually that complicated for foreigners. It depends on the type of visa you apply for, but generally, you just need to gather some documents, like proof of income and background checks. It might take a bit to process, but it's not too difficult. I think this guy just had bad luck, it must be frustrating to start the process from scratch again. If you want to make it easier, it might be a good idea to talk to a lawyer or someone specialized in immigration.

What’s your experience with this?

Actually no that isn't correct. It is not that easy @legend. Have you gone through the process? I have many foreigner friends and they all say what nightmare it is. Most have to hire immigration attorney. Not say impossible but it take time and difficult unless maybe you marry a local or have baby here.

Oh, I didn't realize that some of the processes have changed so much! It's been a while since I went through it, and it didn’t seem that complicated back then. Now I understand a bit more about this guy's frustration. It sounds like things can be pretty tough for newcomers these days! 😕

Oh, I didn't realize that some of the processes have changed so much! It's been a while since I went through it, and it didn’t seem that complicated back then. Now I understand a bit more about this guy's frustration. It sounds like things can be pretty tough for newcomers these days! 😕
No it isn't that easy. You can hear in the video he says he even flew back to the USA and Colombia to get police background reports. Many people have reported pain dealing with getting their residency here. Getting married and having a kid here help but it sounds like there are cases where even that takes 5 years.

I read a post on the old forum and this Movie star and actor in Motorcycle Diaries had issues. It sounds like he was married and had a kid here too and it still took 5 years! An eye opener if it took him that long it's not a slam dunk like people think it will be.

Actually no that isn't correct. It is not that easy @legend. Have you gone through the process? I have many foreigner friends and they all say what nightmare it is. Most have to hire immigration attorney. Not say impossible but it take time and difficult unless maybe you marry a local or have baby here.
I can't speak for those having anchor babies here (I think it's easy if you hire a lawyer. A Russian woman's case I saw on juzgado website only took her 6 months to get her citizenship and only a few months for PR) but even if you marry an Argentine, it is still complicated. It took me 4-5 trips to Migraciones office and quite a lot of money to send the documents back to be legalized in my home country (it's not only complicated at Migraciones here but the Argentine embassy in your home country can also make things even more complicated for you).

I have a question can you get residency without a permanent mailing address? EG changing apartment every month renting Airbnb's ? Ive heard you need to wait months for mail while applying so do you basically need a long term apartment contract to have any hope ?
Yes, obtaining residency in Argentina generally requires a stable mailing address for the application process. While it's possible to use a temporary address, like an Airbnb, it can complicate matters since you'll need to receive important documents, such as your residency card, which may take months to arrive. Having a long-term rental contract is advisable as it provides a stable address, making the process smoother and ensuring you can receive official correspondence without delays.

I have a question can you get residency without a permanent mailing address? EG changing apartment every month renting Airbnb's ? Ive heard you need to wait months for mail while applying so do you basically need a long term apartment contract to have any hope ?
I'm not sure about every month. I think the process take a while and they might send you things but these days I think much is online with progress. Maybe @Darksider415 know. Also, maybe you can make friend with owner of Airbnb and they can receive mail for you at original address. I know people that changed apartments during process but not every month.

I can't speak for those having anchor babies here (I think it's easy if you hire a lawyer. A Russian woman's case I saw on juzgado website only took her 6 months to get her citizenship and only a few months for PR) but even if you marry an Argentine, it is still complicated. It took me 4-5 trips to Migraciones office and quite a lot of money to send the documents back to be legalized in my home country (it's not only complicated at Migraciones here but the Argentine embassy in your home country can also make things even more complicated for you).
@Jakoval I also heard if you have baby much easier and quick. What is that website? Do you have link for it? I read about someone checking website for last name and can see people that applied for residency. Is website really like that? Can you post link?

I think what takes so much time is all paperwork like you say. This American probably try to do it himself.

Do you have a friend that will allow you to get mail? I did that for a friend applying for their DNI. They just used my apartment.

If you hire lawyer it much easier. 6 month for citizenship sound very quick!! I never heard of that. I heard rumor that some Russians are paying big bribes to some judges. That kind of thing is common here. Is that how the immigration lawyers do it? Anyone know?

@Jakoval I also heard if you have baby much easier and quick. What is that website? Do you have link for it? I read about someone checking website for last name and can see people that applied for residency. Is website really like that? Can you post link?

I think what takes so much time is all paperwork like you say. This American probably try to do it himself.

Do you have a friend that will allow you to get mail? I did that for a friend applying for their DNI. They just used my apartment.

If you hire lawyer it much easier. 6 month for citizenship sound very quick!! I never heard of that. I heard rumor that some Russians are paying big bribes to some judges. That kind of thing is common here. Is that how the immigration lawyers do it? Anyone know?
I do think that many of these immigration attorneys are paying kickbacks to judges or at least people in the offices to speed things up. That is very common in much of Latin America. Here in Brazil it is a way of life and also my dealings in Argentina are the same. You can typically pay to make things more efficient.

Take a look at this politician. This is a guy in Milei's party I believe.

Yes, obtaining residency in Argentina generally requires a stable mailing address for the application process. While it's possible to use a temporary address, like an Airbnb, it can complicate matters since you'll need to receive important documents, such as your residency card, which may take months to arrive. Having a long-term rental contract is advisable as it provides a stable address, making the process smoother and ensuring you can receive official correspondence without delays.

Yeah that's what I thought damn that sucks man. Even if you have a trusted address today who can say it will be trusted in a year or more. People break up, friends drift apart

Thank you. I was wondering about that too when I read the article about Gael Garcia Bernal. I like that actor. I'm surprised it took him so long but maybe he left the country. I heard it's much easier when you aren't coming and going.
Yeah that's what I thought damn that sucks man. Even if you have a trusted address today who can say it will be trusted in a year or more. People break up, friends drift apart

Actually most of my friends here in CABA buy a property and stay in it. We don't move around so often like in the States. I hear there people move every 6 years? Here we buy and stay or maybe change just one time.

Thank you. I was wondering about that too when I read the article about Gael Garcia Bernal. I like that actor. I'm surprised it took him so long but maybe he left the country. I heard it's much easier when you aren't coming and going.

Actually most of my friends here in CABA buy a property and stay in it. We don't move around so often like in the States. I hear there people move every 6 years? Here we buy and stay or maybe change just one time.
Once you enter the website, choose CCF and put the expediente number and year in. Search expediente number 12264/2023 and you will see that this Russian woman having a child here already received her sentencia in 9 months for citizenship. I've seen another expediente of another Russian that only took 6 months.

Once you enter the website, choose CCF and put the expediente number and year in. Search expediente number 12264/2023 and you will see that this Russian woman having a child here already received her sentencia in 9 months for citizenship. I've seen another expediente of another Russian that only took 6 months.
Thanks! That is cool but how did you get the expediente number? For example, with that actor? How would you just put in a last name and be able to see all the people that are in the process? Like that old forum someone put they just put in last name and they were able to see. Thanks @Jakoval. That is neat to see and great it only took her 6 months. I didn't think anything was that quick or easy here.

Thanks! That is cool but how did you get the expediente number? For example, with that actor? How would you just put in a last name and be able to see all the people that are in the process? Like that old forum someone put they just put in last name and they were able to see. Thanks @Jakoval. That is neat to see and great it only took her 6 months. I didn't think anything was that quick or easy here.
I'm not sure how they searched with family names. What I do is search with random expediente numbers just to compare notes with my case.

Feel free to ping me via DM @BikeEnthusiast. I own a few properties that I've owned since 2002 that I'll never sell. I'm more than happy to allow you to use the address or the Portero in my building can get mail for you. Not an issue at all and happy to do it. I've done that before for a few clients of mine.

I'm not sure how they searched with family names. What I do is search with random expediente numbers just to compare notes with my case.
Genius @Jakoval! I just saw that post about searching under names. I took a brief look at the site and not sure what fields they were searching with. I always thought you needed an expediente # as you mentioned but I guess you never know. Maybe there is a way to check it. That would be cool if you could. I hope you're doing well. I have some friends visiting Thailand this week so I was thinking of you. My daughter is studying abroad this summer in Seoul. Was thinking of making a stopover to Thailand but don't think I will have time. I definitely want to visit next summer. Miss that delicious food!

Interesting that it only took that Russian woman 6 months. Never heard of something so quick. Do you have to take the Spanish test for citizenship if you had a child born here? I didn't know if that was still a requirement. I don't think so as I met a Chinese guy that barely spoke any Spanish and he got Citizenship a few years ago.

Interesting that it only took that Russian woman 6 months. Never heard of something so quick. Do you have to take the Spanish test for citizenship if you had a child born here? I didn't know if that was still a requirement. I don't think so as I met a Chinese guy that barely spoke any Spanish and he got Citizenship a few years ago.
It was actually 9 months for her. The 6 months was another one, a guy I think, that I stumbled on while randomly looking through the site but I don't have his expediente.

Back