Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

How do you buy credit or "saldo" for a pre paid cell phone ?

BikeEnthusiast

I have a pre paid plan with Movistar, every month I pay 3k pesos and get another month and a few gigas.

I need to load the "saldo" into the Movistar app then pay. It won't let me put credit in with a foreign card and no DNI. I went to about 15 kioskos and all said they don't do it.

Finally I found one who would and I have been going there once a month to put 3k pesos into my account. However they always give me a dirty look and bad vibe, I figured it must be because they don't make any money off it? So I always buy a drink and some chocolate but they still seem to hate my guts

Well yesterday I went to buy my 3k pesos and when I checked later they had only put it through as 1k. Now my phone is about to expire and I take this to mean they don't want me to come back and are planning to just rip me off from now on. If you have a pre paid phone but no DNI how do you pay for it ? ?

Last edited:
I have a pre paid plan with Movistar, every month I pay 3k pesos and get another month and a few gigas.

I need to load the "saldo" into the Movistar app then pay. It won't let me put credit in with a foreign card and no DNI. I went to about 15 kioskos and all said they don't do it.

Finally I found one who would and I have been going there once a month to put 3k pesos into my account. However they always give me a dirty look and bad vibe, I figured it must be because they don't make any money off it? So I always buy a drink and some chocolate but they still seem to hate my guts

Well yesterday I went to buy my 3k pesos and when I checked later they had only put it through as 1k. Now my phone is about to expire and I take this to mean they don't want me to come back and are planning to just rip me off from now on. If you have a pre paid phone but no DNI how do you pay for it ? ?
I haven't had a prepaid plan for a while. I just have a monthly plan but typically just go into any kiosko. Strange that they don't do it. The ones that do, don't they give you a receipt for the charge? You should always get a receipt. But you should always be able to go to any Movistar office and refill it. There are many around the city. I've never heard of issues with buying credit.

@BikeEnthusiast I am not sure if this works for Argentina but I have used it for other countries.

In Mexico I use the Xoom app which works well. They just charge about a $1 US surcharge but it instantly adds credits to my SIM card. I don't see Argentina listed on Xoom but maybe try that website above or another like it.

I haven't had a prepaid plan for a while. I just have a monthly plan but typically just go into any kiosko. Strange that they don't do it. The ones that do, don't they give you a receipt for the charge? You should always get a receipt. But you should always be able to go to any Movistar office and refill it. There are many around the city. I've never heard of issues with buying credit.

Yes I got a receipt but stupidly I threw it in the trash be without looking at it because I've been doing this for months and never had a problem before

With your monthly plan did you need a DNI to get it ??

@BikeEnthusiast do you have any friends that have a Mercado Pago account? Almost all locals here have a Mercado Pago account. If so, they can easily refill for you and you can give them the cash. Link Lagos, Tarjeta Naranja, Pago Mis Cuentas, Pago 465, all work to recharge. But I'm assuming you have none of those but ask a local friend and I'm sure they would be happy to do it for you.

I haven't heard of kioskos not working or cheating anyone. That is terrible if they did that. Always get a receipt.

Not sure if your foreign credit card will work but try Movistar's page to pay online:

Yes I got a receipt but stupidly I threw it in the trash be without looking at it because I've been doing this for months and never had a problem before

It's always a good idea to save receipt until you see the amount credited. I know nothing you can do now but you will know for next time. I don't know if tourists can get a monthly plan. Most tourists just get the prepago plan like you have.

I checked a few places and they all said you have to have a DNI to get a normal monthly plan. This article is a few months old but has good information.

It's strange that you haven't had any luck at kioscos since they usually do it without any issues. As far as I know, you need to pay in cash on the spot. Another option is lottery agencies, where they can add balance to prepaid cell phones and also to the SUBE card. The easiest way is through the app or the Movistar website, although it's odd that it doesn't allow you to use a credit card. When you go to the kiosco, do you try to pay with a credit card?
Have you tried doing it through the website?

@BikeEnthusiast I got a Movistar plan like you and I didn't have any problems for the most part. Some little corner stores weren't able to. But take note that some Western Union stores that had the Pago Facil sticker could also refill Movistar credits. There were many in Palermo Soho. Maybe you just got a grumpy cashier. Crazy they stole 2k pesos from you. I hope that wasn't the case.

Anyway, as @JonJLA mentioned, you can buy a tourist SIM card from Movistar, and they will activate it for you on the spot. It seems you can also activate it via WhatsApp if you buy the SIM card at any kiosco, but I recommend going to a Movistar office. A friend of mine had his activated there without any problem.

Rapipago, Pago Fácil, lottery agencies, and kioscos are the official places. Maybe you should call your credit card company to see what the problem is.

@BikeEnthusiast it sounds like you got scammed. Do you speak Spanish? When the economy gets very bad probably the ones that will suffer first are the gringos are people that are obviously tourists. Many here have a bad vibe not because the store is not making money but because the record # of people that are hitting poverty levels. Buying things with it won't help if they are angry in general.

As others say always check receipt to make sure they put right amount in.

We tried getting a monthly plan at Personal but they said you had to have a DNI but the pay as you go work very well and very cheap.

This kind of thing usually don't happen here. Seems strange. Are you sure they only put in the wrong amount?

Update for anyone who cares, I returned and paid another 2k pesos to renew my plan. Honestly if someone is that desperate to steal 2k pesos (like $1.80?) they can keep it
That's good. I don't think it's the amount that matters it's the principle that someone would do that. I don't know the answer but can you prepay many months ahead of time @BikeEnthusiast so you can avoid having to do it each month?

Update for anyone who cares, I returned and paid another 2k pesos to renew my plan. Honestly if someone is that desperate to steal 2k pesos (like $1.80?) they can keep it
Glad you got it figured out. You might think it was only $1.80 USD but if they are doing this many times a day it adds up. But I don't think locals would ever fall for this. Probably only doing it with gringos that can't speak Spanish well and obviously tourists.

Shouldn't be difficult to refill Movistar. Most kioskos do it. Never heard of anyone having issues. Maybe something is lost in translation.

Back