Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

How much are you allowed to bring into Argentina (Goods allowance) for Tourist and Resident?

Oatmeal

As the question states, what is the allowed value in goods one can bring through the airport? Are customs strict? We plan on traveling and buying (stocking up) on some stuff including clothes and a visit to Ikea for the house. Are the allowance differrent for Tourist and Resident? Thank you.

As the question states, what is the allowed value in goods one can bring through the airport? Are customs strict? We plan on traveling and buying (stocking up) on some stuff including clothes and a visit to Ikea for the house. Are the allowance differrent for Tourist and Resident? Thank you.
I am not sure there is actually a specific limit. Each time I go back to the US which is once a year I load up on high quality towels, sheets, clothes and other items. No one has ever bothered me at all. I always have receipts in case they need to see it but just take off all the new tags. I have been doing this for over 10 years and never have issues. They sometimes will hassle if you bring many electronics but I have never been bothered on non electronics items or food. I load up one entire suitcase with food and spices that I can't easily find here.

I was told you can bring in as much clothing or personal items. Just like Betsy, I always bring back several clothes. We do all our shopping each year when I go home to visit my folks for Christmas. Never had any issues. The times they have asked is when I had multiple iPhones but I said one was for work and one for personal use. You won't have problems with clothes @Oatmeal.

I've never ever in 22+ years going back and forth and living in Argentina for 9 years had any problems or issues with non-electronic items. Even when I lived there for 9 years, I went to the USA a few times a year and always brought back several suitcases with me of clothing and items for several properties I owned.

The key is to remove all the price tags and take anything out of any packaging. When I first moved down there, I brought 7 suitcases which is the maximum that you could bring at the time. Full of clothing items and no issue at all. Even today, each time I come to Buenos Aires for work which is usually every 2-3 months, local friends are always asking if I will bring items for them so I'm a "mule" and bringing items for them or their children.

I have come both as a Permanent resident and as a tourist and as long as the items are claimed as personal items, you shouldn't have any issues. I'm not actually sure what the actual limit/maximum is but never have had issues.

My experience is the same as the others. Never any issues with clothing or personal household goods. I also shop quite a bit on Amazon and bring back items and just take it out of the packaging. Unless you are bringing electronics where the x-ray will scan it, you should not have problems.

I've never ever in 22+ years going back and forth and living in Argentina for 9 years had any problems or issues with non-electronic items. Even when I lived there for 9 years, I went to the USA a few times a year and always brought back several suitcases with me of clothing and items for several properties I owned.

The key is to remove all the price tags and take anything out of any packaging. When I first moved down there, I brought 7 suitcases which is the maximum that you could bring at the time. Full of clothing items and no issue at all. Even today, each time I come to Buenos Aires for work which is usually every 2-3 months, local friends are always asking if I will bring items for them so I'm a "mule" and bringing items for them or their children.

I have come both as a Permanent resident and as a tourist and as long as the items are claimed as personal items, you shouldn't have any issues. I'm not actually sure what the actual limit/maximum is but never have had issues.
Know the feeling! I am coming back later this year and some friends I met there are all asking me to bring many things. I will have to bring a few extra bags. What about electronics? One guy I met wants me to bring a power drill that he says is 3 X more expensive there. Will I have problems bringing in a $300 power drill?

Know the feeling! I am coming back later this year and some friends I met there are all asking me to bring many things. I will have to bring a few extra bags. What about electronics? One guy I met wants me to bring a power drill that he says is 3 X more expensive there. Will I have problems bringing in a $300 power drill?
I'm not sure if this has been updated but I think the limit was $300 USD duty free on items to EZE. Never had problems with clothes or bedding. I have brought back some electronics before and had the receipt. You shouldn't have a problem on $300 but just have the receipt. I think above $300 they can ask for 50% but I'm not sure. I've never had to pay it. I have brought back an extra iPhone many times but I carry it on me and don't put it through the x-ray machine.

Customs aren't strict unless you are bringing in phones or tablets or computers. I'm not sure about drills!

The quality of bedding here is quite poor. I have gone back and had many food items. I don't speak Spanish well but I think the customs said there is a 5 kg limit. I had an entire carry on with food and they made me open it up but they allowed me with all of it.

What about going to Paraguay if I go there for the day? I have never been but was told a cheap flight within Argentina but close to teh border and go over by bus.

Sounds good that everyone hasn't had an issue. My mom came to visit me and arrived last month, she had a bunch of asian food/snacks and the customs took some and said it wasn't allowed. This was packaged stuff like Tea, dried mushrooms (expensive), abalone (even more expensive) and Macha and Candy. It was obvious to my mom they just wanted it for themselves. Ironically they didn't take it all but made some excuses and said her food products (some) were not allowed.

7 for 1 person!? Nice. Between me and my GF we had 10 suitcases. 4 overweight. Also had 2 carry ons. They didn't give us too much hassle but they did go through out stuff. This included a Herman Miller Aeron chair (took it apart) and brought it over. Checked locally on the price and almost fainted. This was because my GF got her residency so we moved her personal items. They did check her documents for that and we told them why she had so much stuff.

I was told you can bring in as much clothing or personal items. Just like Betsy, I always bring back several clothes. We do all our shopping each year when I go home to visit my folks for Christmas. Never had any issues. The times they have asked is when I had multiple iPhones but I said one was for work and one for personal use. You won't have problems with clothes @Oatmeal.
Nice.. I think this will be our strategy also. Thanks for the info on iPhones.

I'm not sure if this has been updated but I think the limit was $300 USD duty free on items to EZE. Never had problems with clothes or bedding. I have brought back some electronics before and had the receipt. You shouldn't have a problem on $300 but just have the receipt. I think above $300 they can ask for 50% but I'm not sure. I've never had to pay it. I have brought back an extra iPhone many times but I carry it on me and don't put it through the x-ray machine.

$300 that is low but thanks for cofirming.

What about going to Paraguay if I go there for the day? I have never been but was told a cheap flight within Argentina but close to teh border and go over by bus.

Sounds good that everyone hasn't had an issue. My mom came to visit me and arrived last month, she had a bunch of asian food/snacks and the customs took some and said it wasn't allowed. This was packaged stuff like Tea, dried mushrooms (expensive), abalone (even more expensive) and Macha and Candy. It was obvious to my mom they just wanted it for themselves. Ironically they didn't take it all but made some excuses and said her food products (some) were not allowed.
I've never gone over to Paraguay to go shopping. Electronics there are supposed to be really affordable compared to Argentina. I just buy electronics in the USA and bring each time I come. Just as the others mentioned, I'll just carry the iPhones on me in my pocket or jacket so they don't go through the X-ray machine. If they see several phones they probably will ask you about it. But I've never had issues carrying them on me. Each trip a friend will ask me to bring one.

I have also brought in expensive Nest Yale door locks which are about $300 and never had any problems. My last trip I had 3 of them and they didn't hassle me. I figured even if I had to pay 50% duty it was still cheaper than buying it there. Electronics there are outrageous.

I've never had any issues bringing food. It's been a while since I brought in food items. But when I was living there I would load up on stuff each visit as you couldn't get many imported items there. They just didn't sell it there. I couldn't even get peanut butter back then. Now, you can get a lot more food items there. They are just expensive.

That is horrible @Oatmeal that they took your food/snacks. As you mentioned, they probably just wanted to keep it for themselves. Good tea and coffee there is really expensive. My wife would always bring in tons of her favorite teas. Boxes of it and we never had problems. Next time, you should call them out and ask what exactly isn't allowed and why.

7 for 1 person!? Nice. Between me and my GF we had 10 suitcases. 4 overweight. Also had 2 carry ons. They didn't give us too much hassle but they did go through out stuff. This included a Herman Miller Aeron chair (took it apart) and brought it over. Checked locally on the price and almost fainted. This was because my GF got her residency so we moved her personal items. They did check her documents for that and we told them why she had so much stuff.
Yes, it was just myself when I first moved there. 7 suitcases for myself but I was making a permanent move from the USA to Buenos Aires. They did go through everything but this was a while ago. I had a lot of electronic items as well but I just said it was for personal use which was true. That Herman Miller Aeron chair here is probably 3X the cost as back home. When I came originally I had a student visa and that's probably why they cut me lots of slack. There wasn't much tourism back then.

How are you adjusting to life in Buenos Aires @Oatmeal? I think you mentioned you live out in the Northern suburbs. Hope you had a great move and enjoying life in BA.

For what it's worth, I've never had serious issues coming through, but there's always a chance you'll catch That Guy in aduanas. Worst I've had was when I went to Brazil for my post-wedding party, my best friend brought down self-rising cornmeal from the US, and that, along with the candies we picked up in Brazil led to a short chat with Aduanas... And by short, I mean, he asked if we had food, I said yes, opened the bag and pointed out the "harina de maíz" and "golosinas" and he responded "Obrigado" and let us go. Something, something, seeing all the Portuguese, plus my wife's BR passport.

Good tea and coffee there is really expensive. My wife would always bring in tons of her favorite teas. Boxes of it and we never had problems. Next time, you should call them out and ask what exactly isn't allowed and why.

Yes, it was just myself when I first moved there. 7 suitcases for myself but I was making a permanent move from the USA to Buenos Aires. They did go through everything but this was a while ago. I had a lot of electronic items as well but I just said it was for personal use which was true. That Herman Miller Aeron chair here is probably 3X the cost as back home. When I came originally I had a student visa and that's probably why they cut me lots of slack. There wasn't much tourism back then.

How are you adjusting to life in Buenos Aires @Oatmeal? I think you mentioned you live out in the Northern suburbs. Hope you had a great move and enjoying life in BA.

Yep good tea and coffee is pretty expensive here. My gf going through brands to try but it is costly and she can't justify paying 3-4x for Juan Valdez. We actually had 2 of the Aeron chairs, sold it when we had to purge (sell) a lot of our stuff but I love the chair for work and it was suggested by my gf to take it apart and bring it over. Glad I listen to her. Yes its like 3.5x on retail price. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

We are doing good up north thanks. It is calm and quiet. A litmus test on if we like being so far from the capital. Down side, going to the capital is a planned trip that we have to work around traffic time. We will give this place a year and see, I will say though, BA has been colder than I anticipated.

We are doing good up north thanks. It is calm and quiet. A litmus test on if we like being so far from the capital. Down side, going to the capital is a planned trip that we have to work around traffic time. We will give this place a year and see, I will say though, BA has been colder than I anticipated.
Quiet isn't bad but I think I would be too bored that for from the city. The charm to BA to me is just being able to come down from my apartment and have everything close by. I think being that far outside of BA wouldn't really feel like BA but to each their own. BA can get cold in the winter and it's pretty miserable in the summer here.

Quiet isn't bad but I think I would be too bored that for from the city. The charm to BA to me is just being able to come down from my apartment and have everything close by. I think being that far outside of BA wouldn't really feel like BA but to each their own. BA can get cold in the winter and it's pretty miserable in the summer here.
The convenience we do miss. Having some green outside space is something an apartment can provide and previously we lived in an apartment for 4 years and honestly we grew out of it and wanted a change. Miserable in the summer? Oh.. besides the mosquitos, care to explain? I recall our visit back in December of last year (short visit) and it was hot in the city.

The convenience we do miss. Having some green outside space is something an apartment can provide and previously we lived in an apartment for 4 years and honestly we grew out of it and wanted a change. Miserable in the summer? Oh.. besides the mosquitos, care to explain? I recall our visit back in December of last year (short visit) and it was hot in the city.
Nothing wrong with trying something different. Living in the suburbs is much different vs. living in the city. I agree it is not a pleasant summer as the heat and humidity here in January and February are not fun. December isn't too bad yet but peak January heat and humidity are bad. Many locals flee the city and go to beach areas to try to escape the heat. BA can feel like a ghost town sometimes in January and part of February.

Back