Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell the name of the country Argentina right.

A very wise choice to skip the trip to Mexico.

YES! He FINALLY figured out maybe it's not such a good idea to fly around to other right wing organizations around the world when there are big problems at home to fix. He was smart for cancelling it.

YES! He FINALLY figured out maybe it's not such a good idea to fly around to other right wing organizations around the world when there are big problems at home to fix. He was smart for cancelling it.
At least Milei seems like he is more selective with his trips. I hope I am wrong but I just don't think they will get things figured out by mid-term elections next year. Many people I know complaining that voted for him. And even ones that aren't complaining are embarrassed that things are going so poorly.

So many Argentines here in Spain. Probably who this guy is referring to. :LOL: I just can't see a scenario where they are putting all of these increases on people with so little money and expect things won't blow up next year. Like I said, I hope I am wrong. But several people we know including some relatives there are behind on their utility bills, their condo fees and other bills. They said the last time it was this bad was the corralito.

I just can't see a scenario where they are putting all of these increases on people with so little money and expect things won't blow up next year. Like I said, I hope I am wrong. But several people we know including some relatives there are behind on their utility bills, their condo fees and other bills. They said the last time it was this bad was the corralito.
Agree with you @James Bond. Milei said the caste would pay. Great they are getting rid of a lot of corruption but these increases are too much too soon. I also know people that are behind on their utility bills. I looked on my condo bill from last month and about 40% are paying late.

Agree with you @James Bond. Milei said the caste would pay. Great they are getting rid of a lot of corruption but these increases are too much too soon. I also know people that are behind on their utility bills. I looked on my condo bill from last month and about 40% are paying late.
Same thing in my building Bill. Most of the tenants are paying the bill late. My administrator is begging people to pay on time because bills can't get paid if not. Many people are like this man. This isn't some actor. This is what people are going through. The struggle is real.

Seems like a powder keg is building up. I was told when the pots and pans come out it's the start of troubles. A friend there said her mom no longer has her medications paid that were paid before. Can't afford the utility bills. She told me she thinks all these utility companies are fraudulently increasing the usage and they tried to appeal it but they said it was correct. Probably a good idea to keep an eye how much protesting is outside of utility companies.

Seems like a powder keg is building up. I was told when the pots and pans come out it's the start of troubles. A friend there said her mom no longer has her medications paid that were paid before. Can't afford the utility bills. She told me she thinks all these utility companies are fraudulently increasing the usage and they tried to appeal it but they said it was correct. Probably a good idea to keep an eye how much protesting is outside of utility companies.

It is true about the insurance companies and also government stop paying for many medications they were before. They say there is no money. It is true about the utility bills. There is no way to appeal it. They say they will go to check the meter but I don't know if they can speed up the meter. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

9 out of 10 Argentines are in debt right now from studies I have heard.

I think your friend is referring to PAMI, the healthcare system for retirees, which until recently covered many medications at 100%, but that’s no longer the case. Even basic medicines like ibuprofen are now being affected. This is why people say that retirees, the most vulnerable group, are the hardest hit. Retirees are unhappy with Milei, and you can easily see why.

It is true about the insurance companies and also government stop paying for many medications they were before. They say there is no money. It is true about the utility bills. There is no way to appeal it. They say they will go to check the meter but I don't know if they can speed up the meter. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

That is a sad statistic. Where is this taken from? About the 9/10 people in debt?

Same thing in my building Bill. Most of the tenants are paying the bill late. My administrator is begging people to pay on time because bills can't get paid if not. Many people are like this man. This isn't some actor. This is what people are going through. The struggle is real.

There are tons of cases like this. How is a retiree who earns barely $300,000 supposed to pay an electricity bill of $200,000? You don’t have to be a genius to see that these measures were poorly implemented, at least for this sector. I think they should reconsider the situation... it’s obvious that it’s impossible to handle that kind of expense.

To be fair
That is a sad statistic. Where is this taken from? About the 9/10 people in debt?
I know it's not the same thing but to be fair probably 8 or 9 out of 10 people in America are also heavily in debt.

Eduardo Feinmann is a very respected journalist and columnist.

Very true but there is healthy debt and not being able to put food on the table or pay the lights debt. I think they are speaking of the not being able to pay the bills debt.
He isn't speaking about driving a luxury car or paying on a mortgage or spending on credit cards for things you don't need like happens in the States. He is speaking about being able to pay for food.

I keep seeing comments from people criticizing Milei's oversea trips, even from those who generally support his policies. Let's not forget that one of Milei's objectives is to make Argentina business friendly for international investors. All the changes in the world won't help if no one knows about it or the business community is not talking about it. Milei got elected in large part due to his ability to get people to talk about him, and yes, in part due to some of his crazy antics and controversial statements about things that never actually became a priority for his administration. There's a method in his madness...

"I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell the name of the country Argentina right." -Javier Milei (ok, ok, I'm saying it on his behalf)
You made a good point @TonyTigre. Looks like some of these trips might have helped. I don't know how much of this was negotiated by Argentina and how much of it was other countries but I doubt the IMF is going to do something like this out of the goodness of their heart.

Argentina is going to save $3.2 billion in future interest payments and fees.

You made a good point @TonyTigre. Looks like some of these trips might have helped. I don't know how much of this was negotiated by Argentina and how much of it was other countries but I doubt the IMF is going to do something like this out of the goodness of their heart.

Argentina is going to save $3.2 billion in future interest payments and fees.

To be fair I don't think this is something that the trips by Milei had anything to do with. Debtor nations around the world have been lobbying for a reduction in fees. Even though some people in Argentina are claiming it was their talks that had something to do with it, that is doubtful. Saw some posts but I am in the banking industry and these countries have been asking for changes for years.

I don't think legitimate trips are a bad idea but some of these trips accepting questionable awards are probably not a good idea right now in light of deciding not to increase funding to universities and pensioners. It would be bad timing. The next several months will be critical.

He has cut way down on the number of trips abroad which is smart. I don't think most international companies are going to invest in Argentina until they end the currency controls. Why would they? Look at Elon Musk. Even with Brazil forcing them to close down their operations at X it would have been a good opportunity to shift over operations to Argentina and they never did.

Too complicated with the CEPO. Plus it is still complicated to have employees here. I know someone that works for X and they said that they are starting to hire engineers in Argentina but they aren't going to be employees. They are just going to hire them as contractors so they don't have to deal with hassles of having employees in Argentina and dealing with currency controls.

@Johnny, since you're in the banking industry, you must know that terms of the loans are never changed by the lenders 'out of the goodness of their hearts' as @Uncle Wong correctly pointed out. It was obvious that Milei was visiting the countries that would help support their case in their IMF negotiations, the countries with significant voting power. There's nothing wrong with accepting an award and doing some promotion for the country and himself while he's in the area. Of course some people like to make it seem like he went there just to accept an award.

@Johnny, since you're in the banking industry, you must know that terms of the loans are never changed by the lenders 'out of the goodness of their hearts' as @Uncle Wong correctly pointed out. It was obvious that Milei was visiting the countries that would help support their case in their IMF negotiations, the countries with significant voting power. There's nothing wrong with accepting an award and doing some promotion for the country and himself while he's in the area. Of course some people like to make it seem like he went there just to accept an award.
It sounds like it's almost impossible to prove how much it helped or not. My attitude is it couldn't have hurt but probably a good idea to keep his head down and just grind to keep improving things. Seems like no matter what half the country will complain and argue how he is the devil. I wonder how things in America will turn out with our election. I am not a Republican but I almost hope that Trump wins because I worry about the chaos that will ensue if he doesn't win.

Of course not @TonyTigre. The only reason a lender changes the terms is because they think there is a risk that the debtor just walks away and leaves them holding the bag and defaults on the loan. No different with what the IMF did. There is still a mountain of debt Argentina needs to pay back including a big chunk in 2015. Great that Argentina escrowed the interest payment for January 2025. But a long way from celebrating.

I agree with you if you're going to be in the area anyway doesn't hurt to accept an award. Still don't think he should go around too often doing that because of the optics of it.

I don't understand the lying in the FT interview by Caputo. Milei clearly says he is frustrated that investors are asking when currency controls will be lifted. And the IMF isn't likely to negotiate a new agreement while the currency controls are in place. Like this article mentions it is the chicken and the egg.

Back