Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Life in Buenos Aires after 1 month of living here as an expat

The choice varies depending on the type of visitor. If you plan to stay for three months or less, opting for Airbnb might be more cost-effective despite the higher prices, as one-month full commission for furnished places significantly raises the actual rent. In contrast, in countries like Colombia, you can secure an Airbnb for two weeks and then rent a furnished place for 1-3 months without commission and with only half a month's deposit.

While the short-term rent in this location might be among the priciest in Latin America, it's also one of the most affordable options for those renting unfurnished. Additionally, the cost of groceries, transportation, and dining is remarkably inexpensive for the value you receive.

Rentals now are very expensive and I don't think worth it for the size and location. I think restaurants are also expensive and also at USA prices. It's IMPOSSIBLE to find a good one-bedroom apartment for less than $800 USD / month in goof premium locations. Even dumpy areas like San Telmo and the downtown area are about $600 USD a month IF you can find one for long-term rent. There are far much cheaper places in Latin America than BA.

Peru boasts numerous fantastic cities that are half the cost of Buenos Aires, such as Arequipa, Iquitos, Tarapoto, Trujillo, and many others. Additionally, the food in these cities is not only superior in quality but also more affordable.

Peru boasts numerous fantastic cities that are half the cost of Buenos Aires, such as Arequipa, Iquitos, Tarapoto, Trujillo, and many others. Additionally, the food in these cities is not only superior in quality but also more affordable.
You are seriously going to compare those dumpy cities to Buenos Aires? Those are mostly small towns with nothing to do. Very low population base. NO culture. They eat rats in many of those towns. Buenos Aires has far better food and variety of food.

@Larry you are always dumping on Buenos Aires and how expensive it is. It's laughable you say that BA restaurants are more expensive than the USA. And then you try to compare those cities to BA?

Larry I'm familiar with some of the cities you mention in Peru, except for Tarapoto?
The only city worth mentioning is Arequipa. Still comparing it with BA is like comparing Paris to Nice ..? (Nice is still a nice city)

In Buenos Aires we have Teatro Colon, Corrientes with all the Culture , Teatro, Connectivity - Arequipa is off the main flight lines. Restaurants here in Buenos Aires are international, Peruvian food is great but not very varied. Graduate Education in Arequipa ? Public Health in Arequipa..? Maybe housing is cheaper in Arequipa.

Still Arequipa compares well with other smaller cities in Argentina, where everything is cheaper but you don't have the Metropolitan cultural content. Maybe San Rafael, Mendoza

The choice varies depending on the type of visitor. If you plan to stay for three months or less, opting for Airbnb might be more cost-effective despite the higher prices, as one-month full commission for furnished places significantly raises the actual rent. In contrast, in countries like Colombia, you can secure an Airbnb for two weeks and then rent a furnished place for 1-3 months without commission and with only half a month's deposit.

While the short-term rent in this location might be among the priciest in Latin America, it's also one of the most affordable options for those renting unfurnished. Additionally, the cost of groceries, transportation, and dining is remarkably inexpensive for the value you receive.
I was mostly considering that we are dealing with expats here not locals. Expats that decide to stay in Buenos Aires for the long term or permanently. Medellin is ok but nothing compared to Buenos Aires. Only so many empanadas and arepas you can eat!

I'm not aware of any city in Latin America, aside from Buenos Aires, that matches the sophistication and European-style culture it offers. While Montevideo and Santiago de Chile possess some degree of sophistication, it doesn't quite reach the same level as Buenos Aires. If you're not specifically seeking a Latin American version of southern Europe, there might be other countries that provide a broader range of opportunities at potentially more affordable prices.

I recall an Argentine acquaintance who entertained the idea of retiring to Bolivia, where he believed he could construct an impressive home and easily hire assistance at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, his wife was not open to the idea, and tragically, he passed away at a relatively young age due to a heart attack. The challenging business climate in Argentina, where his company was struggling, likely contributed to the stress that may have impacted his health.

The allure of Buenos Aires lies in its 'European-like' ambiance at a notably lower overall expense. Peru might attract some individuals, although I doubt it's a preferred destination for many expats on this platform. With Argentina becoming increasingly expensive, some expatriates might reevaluate their choice of residence.

I need to get US Dollars. This doesn't help me to get US dollars here in BA. The owner won't take pesos
most people here are booking on Airbnb, then making direct bank/Zelle/PayPal payments to the owner afterward. you should find a new landlord who will take Pesos, use Airbnb, accept a WesternUnion bank transfer, etc.

we covered the inability to get USD in Argentina in this thread: https://www.expatsba.com/threads/ne...t-painful-to-use-from-argentina.51/#post-1073

basically, bring $100 bills in, or get Pesos (slowly, from ATMs that allow 100,000 Pesos ... or Western Union) and use a Cueva or pay an owner in Pesos at the rate you guys agree on. if you end up solving this, a lot of us will be interested in how you did it, but your owner sounds unreasonable

$1,700 a month! I thought Buenos Aires was supposed to be cheap! I guess good for property owners but bad for expats that don't already own!
Unless it's a 3-bedroom apartment in a newer high-end modern building that price seems exorbitant.

I've consistently found attractive 1 or 2-bedroom apartments, many of which are aesthetically pleasing, for under $1,000 per month. My current residence, a nicely renovated, furnished 1-bedroom on the 18th floor with a balcony and ample sunlight, costs $800 monthly.

While Airbnb tends to be excessively expensive, it offers convenience. Nevertheless, even within Airbnb, there are alternatives available in the $800-$900 per month range. Although to be fair I don't know the availability to rent for 1-2 years.

I have to admit my contract is locked in for 2 years so I don't know what current situations are. But I have read on many websites the lack of long term rentals. So this may be true. It's a scary new reality after being cheap so long.

Unless it's a 3-bedroom apartment in a newer high-end modern building that price seems exorbitant.

I've consistently found attractive 1 or 2-bedroom apartments, many of which are aesthetically pleasing, for under $1,000 per month. My current residence, a nicely renovated, furnished 1-bedroom on the 18th floor with a balcony and ample sunlight, costs $800 monthly.

While Airbnb tends to be excessively expensive, it offers convenience. Nevertheless, even within Airbnb, there are alternatives available in the $800-$900 per month range. Although to be fair I don't know the availability to rent for 1-2 years.

I have to admit my contract is locked in for 2 years so I don't know what current situations are. But I have read on many websites the lack of long term rentals. So this may be true. It's a scary new reality after being cheap so long.
@Bill,

I think you don't know the situation actually trying to rent a 1 or 2 year long-term lease now. Sure there are Airbnbs for much lower but try to rent for 1 or 2 years and many are reluctant to rent on long term lease as they don't know what will happen or how expensive things will go. Many feel like they are in the driver's seat now and can wait and get more money later.

How long ago did you sign your lease? When is the last time you tried to rent for 2 years? My sister is moving down there and she is struggling to find anything.

She is looking in Belgrano and it was at the corner of Amenabar and Quesada and it was only 2 bedrooms and they wanted $2,600 US per month for a 1 year lease. I just read a post on the old forum and a member there said he was looking in Bajo Belgrano and that owner wanted $2,500 for a 2 bedroom unit too.

Prices are heading up. Some have predicted this for a few months now and it looks like they were correct.

@Bill,

I think you don't know the situation actually trying to rent a 1 or 2 year long-term lease now. Sure there are Airbnbs for much lower but try to rent for 1 or 2 years and many are reluctant to rent on long term lease as they don't know what will happen or how expensive things will go. Many feel like they are in the driver's seat now and can wait and get more money later.

How long ago did you sign your lease? When is the last time you tried to rent for 2 years? My sister is moving down there and she is struggling to find anything.

She is looking in Belgrano and it was at the corner of Amenabar and Quesada and it was only 2 bedrooms and they wanted $2,600 US per month for a 1 year lease. I just read a post on the old forum and a member there said he was looking in Bajo Belgrano and that owner wanted $2,500 for a 2 bedroom unit too.

Prices are heading up. Some have predicted this for a few months now and it looks like they were correct.
This seems nuts!

I left the United States to escape these kinds of prices! If this keeps up then I will be heading back to the USA. Cheap and easy rents were what first attracted me to this city. Yes, I do love the city quite a bit but the trend sounds like it's not going to be our friend over the long term. So far, Milei sounds like he is taking the steps necessary to fix Argentina.

@Bill - In this property you are renting for so cheap, how much would this property be to purchase? For example, if you asked the owner to sell it do you think he would? And at what price? Do you have any idea of the ratio of how much it cost vs. what you can rent it for? Just my own experiences renting on Airbnb I see prices all over the map!

Some places I have rented for a few nights was around $50 USD /night . Other places are $80 and others are $150. The only difference seems to be the furniture is higher end on the more expensive places and mostly cheap junky furniture and furnishings on the cheap ones. But some are in the same building! I don't understand the differences how one place with the same floor plan can charge more for the same apartment yet with different furniture.

I am just trying to figure out if buying makes sense. I originally was going to come down for 1 or 2 years. I was escaping an abusive relationship. I am a nurse so it's tough finding a job. But I have some leads for a private nurse with some elderly patients. It's not nearly what I was expecting to make but the cost of living so far is much lower than the USA.

But I still have to figure out getting private healthcare insurance, long-term rental, a better job, etc. I have money in my Roth IRA. It might make sense for me to take that and invest in an apartment here. Does anyone know how much it would cost for a studio or 1 bedroom in a nice area? Key for me is very low HOA fees as I don't want to buy a place and have it be like the USA where $800 USD is HOA!

@Bill,

^^THIS ^^

I think there is no hard and fast rule but you can't assume because you were able to find a good deal (who knows how long ago) that it's the case now. I'd assume @Bill probably hasn't been looking recently. Odds are when his lease ends, Bill is NOT going to get the same deal as before. I've been here several weeks and before I figured out I definitely wanted to buy a place at these lower reduced prices, I thought maybe I'd just rent a place long term.

But my experience is that realtors are really flaky! I went to go see 5 different apartments all on a long term lease and the realtors either didn't show up or were very late. On one unit I started seeing it with the owner's realtor? I'm not sure as I don't speak Spanish. I thought I was seeing it with the owner's realtor but the realtor from the listing wasn't the owner's realtor. It was all very confusing!

Before I even said I wanted it, they were fighting over a commission I assume. I didn't stick around to find out. Realtors are territorial, owners are flaky. Airbnb owners when I asked about renting would commit and then all of a sudden say nevermind as they got a future booking. Very surreal to deal with this kind of environment.

It happened twice on another Airbnb where I rented it for a few nights while it was available. On one we reached an agreement on price. Then when we were going to sign a contract (I insisted) they raised the price and said I would be paying 10% more if we went through Airbnb so they wanted to raise our agreed upon price by 5%. No thanks!

On the other, we also were closed to renting and signing a contract and they got a booking and then they said I had to move somewhere else for 3 weeks of my long-term rent. No thanks! I asked them to block it out for 24 hours while we negotiated and they agreed to and then pulled that stunt.

I finally had enough and decided to buy a unit.
@Bill - In this property you are renting for so cheap, how much would this property be to purchase? For example, if you asked the owner to sell it do you think he would? And at what price? Do you have any idea of the ratio of how much it cost vs. what you can rent it for? Just my own experiences renting on Airbnb I see prices all over the map!

Some places I have rented for a few nights was around $50 USD /night . Other places are $80 and others are $150. The only difference seems to be the furniture is higher end on the more expensive places and mostly cheap junky furniture and furnishings on the cheap ones. But some are in the same building! I don't understand the differences how one place with the same floor plan can charge more for the same apartment yet with different furniture.

I am just trying to figure out if buying makes sense. I originally was going to come down for 1 or 2 years. I was escaping an abusive relationship. I am a nurse so it's tough finding a job. But I have some leads for a private nurse with some elderly patients. It's not nearly what I was expecting to make but the cost of living so far is much lower than the USA.

But I still have to figure out getting private healthcare insurance, long-term rental, a better job, etc. I have money in my Roth IRA. It might make sense for me to take that and invest in an apartment here. Does anyone know how much it would cost for a studio or 1 bedroom in a nice area? Key for me is very low HOA fees as I don't want to buy a place and have it be like the USA where $800 USD is HOA!
@RN in BA - You can talk to a realtor and reach out to @earlyretirement and he will give you a free referral to a realtor. I first did that and looked at many apartments. Both used and also new construction. The realtor he recommended Pablo didn't work for his firm but worked with him for 20 years. A very nice guy.

I ended up buying a 2 bedroom unit in this building - https://www.expatsba.com/threads/gr...d-by-august-2024-palermo.134/page-2#post-2054

There aren't many units left to purchase. I bought it as @earlyretirement personally purchased a few units for himself in that building and he purchased several more for clients. I had the good fortune to meet one of the owners of the Penthouse apartment, @Johnny who was in town signing his paperwork to purchase his unit. I offered @Johnny to rebuy his unit but he wasn't interested.

I think buying at these price levels is a no-brainer in Buenos Aires. I bought this one and then I'm going to go back to Canada and sell my condo and it's in escrow now. I will buy another unit so I can rent it out. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

I rented recently and I had the same experience where I rented two units in the same building and they were about 100% difference in price. Yes, you read that right. One was double the price of the other. The difference I noticed was one owner was a local and they had God awful furniture and crappy artwork. They had bare bones ratty towels. The sheets felt like I was sleeping on paper. The mattress was hard as a rock.

The other unit was owned by an American. It was managed by a local but the mattress was very good quality. The kitchen was very well furnished, the towels and sheets were very high end. It also had nice to haves like toothbrush holders in the bathroom and little comforts of home. I don't think it was worth 100% more but honestly I actually slept so maybe it was worth it.

I doubt that Bill will pay the same price when his lease ends and he will probably be singing a different tune. I am many years from retirement but I will go down a few weeks a year and stay in my apartment and then will have it rented out when I am not there.

^^THIS ^^

I think there is no hard and fast rule but you can't assume because you were able to find a good deal (who knows how long ago) that it's the case now. I'd assume @Bill probably hasn't been looking recently. Odds are when his lease ends, Bill is NOT going to get the same deal as before. I've been here several weeks and before I figured out I definitely wanted to buy a place at these lower reduced prices, I thought maybe I'd just rent a place long term.

But my experience is that realtors are really flaky! I went to go see 5 different apartments all on a long term lease and the realtors either didn't show up or were very late. On one unit I started seeing it with the owner's realtor? I'm not sure as I don't speak Spanish. I thought I was seeing it with the owner's realtor but the realtor from the listing wasn't the owner's realtor. It was all very confusing!

Before I even said I wanted it, they were fighting over a commission I assume. I didn't stick around to find out. Realtors are territorial, owners are flaky. Airbnb owners when I asked about renting would commit and then all of a sudden say nevermind as they got a future booking. Very surreal to deal with this kind of environment.

It happened twice on another Airbnb where I rented it for a few nights while it was available. On one we reached an agreement on price. Then when we were going to sign a contract (I insisted) they raised the price and said I would be paying 10% more if we went through Airbnb so they wanted to raise our agreed upon price by 5%. No thanks!

On the other, we also were closed to renting and signing a contract and they got a booking and then they said I had to move somewhere else for 3 weeks of my long-term rent. No thanks! I asked them to block it out for 24 hours while we negotiated and they agreed to and then pulled that stunt.

I finally had enough and decided to buy a unit.

@RN in BA - You can talk to a realtor and reach out to @earlyretirement and he will give you a free referral to a realtor. I first did that and looked at many apartments. Both used and also new construction. The realtor he recommended Pablo didn't work for his firm but worked with him for 20 years. A very nice guy.

I ended up buying a 2 bedroom unit in this building - https://www.expatsba.com/threads/gr...d-by-august-2024-palermo.134/page-2#post-2054

There aren't many units left to purchase. I bought it as @earlyretirement personally purchased a few units for himself in that building and he purchased several more for clients. I had the good fortune to meet one of the owners of the Penthouse apartment, @Johnny who was in town signing his paperwork to purchase his unit. I offered @Johnny to rebuy his unit but he wasn't interested.

I think buying at these price levels is a no-brainer in Buenos Aires. I bought this one and then I'm going to go back to Canada and sell my condo and it's in escrow now. I will buy another unit so I can rent it out. Feel free to DM me with any questions.
@Canada Goose it was great meeting you! I can't wait until we are neighbors! Good luck in your property closing back home. I'm not sure when you will next be down there but I am going in February and also for the closing at the end of July or the beginning of August. Safe travels home!

Ok update for today. I did NOT lease that apartment. I asked for a formal contract and at first the owner agreed but then they asked for more money than we agreed on! They are going to lose the contract all for trying to charge $200 USD more per month. But it was the principle with me. I knew if she would screw me on this after we agreed who knows what would happen during the 2 years.

People keep talking about all these bargains. Please send them to me or post them if there are so many deals out there. I need a true King size bed, AC and heat in each room. Nice furniture, fast internet, fully furnished. Prefer nice big TV's in each room. Prefer 2 bedrooms but I would take one if there was an office space or a place to work. I want a fully furnished kitchen too as I like to cook.

Since everyone is saying all the great 2 year options, please post them or they don't exist!

Ok update for today. I did NOT lease that apartment. I asked for a formal contract and at first the owner agreed but then they asked for more money than we agreed on! They are going to lose the contract all for trying to charge $200 USD more per month. But it was the principle with me. I knew if she would screw me on this after we agreed who knows what would happen during the 2 years.

People keep talking about all these bargains. Please send them to me or post them if there are so many deals out there. I need a true King size bed, AC and heat in each room. Nice furniture, fast internet, fully furnished. Prefer nice big TV's in each room. Prefer 2 bedrooms but I would take one if there was an office space or a place to work. I want a fully furnished kitchen too as I like to cook.

Since everyone is saying all the great 2 year options, please post them or they don't exist!
Thanks for posting an update. Often times we never end up hearing how things turn out. It sounds like a blessing in disguise. Many locals act like that!

So
He won't sell it. I already asked him and he said not interested. It might be going for $160,000 or so now. I'm no real estate expert though so keep that in mind. I recently read about a new construction apartment that is 1 bedroom with a good view and I believe the asking price is around $155,000. Studios are going for around $100,000 in good areas. But you can get less if you're willing to wait a few years.

I don't think anyone doubts that prices are heading UP over the next few years.

There are some decent affordable listings here - https://buenosaires.craigslist.org/search/hhh#search=1~gallery~0~29

Back