Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Meeting Americans

terry55

Hello there!

I'm currently in Buenos Aires, exploring the possibility of retiring here. I'm curious to know where Americans tend to live in Buenos Aires, particularly in neighborhoods that strike a balance between residential tranquility and proximity to the city's attractions. I'd prefer areas that aren't inundated with constant tourism.

Thanks,MMO

I decided to retire in 1999 and often suggest living in the Capital Federal . When referring to the "wonders of this city," I mean the places where tour buses usually take foreign visitors.

Retirement is a wonderful phase of life, and in my opinion, there's really no need to live in close proximity to other Americans. Doing so might limit your opportunities to immerse yourself in a new language, understand the local culture, and connect with the residents who possess valuable knowledge about the city and its history.

Embracing the local experience can be immensely enriching.

I completely agree with julia2's observation. Mastering the language opens the door to an entirely new realm of possibilities. Avoid confining yourself to a small community.

(By the way, there are more than 15 million Americans in Buenos Aires.) :)

Definitely if you can do one thing for yourself, learn the language. I really hate expats that live in Buenos Aires for many years and don't take time to learn Spanish. I'm not saying you have to get fluent but at least learn vocabulary. What I suggest is to make 10-20 flashcards a day and start by going with things in each room. Don't move on to another room until you memorized EVERY thing in that room.

Soon you will know the word for each room in a house, then move to restaurant, then store, etc.

for access to the Movistar arena? i haven't heard any Expats wanting that area...my taxi driver was living there, though.
I lived about 50m on the other side of Corrientes from Movistar arena for a bit and it wasn’t bad. The apartment itself wasn’t great, but I like the area for a decent balance between cost and amenities, and I do think it’ll develop more.

there are more than 15 million Americans in Buenos Aires
for those whose mother tongue isn't English, this is a joke because all the humans of North and South America are considered "Americans" or americanos, but USA people are technically called estadounidenses but people will know what you're talking about :p there were 26,000 as of 2016 in CABA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_in_Argentina

I completely agree with julia2's observation. Mastering the language opens the door to an entirely new realm of possibilities. Avoid confining yourself to a small community.

(By the way, there are more than 15 million Americans in Buenos Aires.) :)
NO there are NOT 15 million americans in Buenos Aires. I think there is a mistake with your English. Maybe you meant 15 thousand NOT million.
Going to echo @earlyretirement here, and I’ll add in that it’s good to find some sort of social or community organization to get involved in. My castellano has improved immensely just by finding a church and becoming active in it.
That is so amazing @Darksider415 that you are getting involved with the local community. And more important that you are a Christian and going to church. It seems like so many these days don't go to church anymore. I grew up Christian but almost never go to church now but I believe you can still get into heaven if you're a good person!

for those whose mother tongue isn't English, this is a joke because all the humans of North and South America are considered "Americans" or americanos, but USA people are technically called estadounidenses but people will know what you're talking about :p there were 26,000 as of 2016 in CABA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_in_Argentina
OK! Sorry I didn't get the joke. I thought the poster was confused with millions and thousands. I get it now. Ha.

Honestly you can't go wrong in many neighborhoods. The only ones I don't like are in the downtown area. It's active during the day but at night it can get desolate and also when they have strikes or protesters it's almost always downtown. I just don't like that area at all. I also don't like San Telmo for living. San Telmo is also turning into "Disneyland" too. I feel sorry for the residents there as it used to only be on Sundays but it's extending to other times of the week too.

Much like I don't really like the heart of Soho to live in now. I spent 2 months there this summer and while it was convenient with many restaurants, I found myself more times than not, going to other areas. It's also filled with graffiti. My favorite neighborhood for everyday living is definitely Recoleta. When I permanently move back, I will ONLY consider Recoleta to live for everyday living. Everything you need is a few blocks away. It's a real neighborhood. I have my bakeries there, my coffee shops, florists, grocery stores, laundrymats. You name it and it's there.

I own an apartment in Palermo Hollywood and I also enjoy staying there when I go for work. It's in a great area and the building has 24/7 security. It stays completely booked solid so I rent it out when I'm not using it and then when I know I will go,, I block it out and stay in it.

If I lived there and retired, I don't think you will necessarily want to be where ALL the tourists live. Many expats are mostly poor and many are living in San Telmo and more affordable areas. I lived in Buenos Aires for 9 years and I never ever hung out with Expats. I had 100% foreigner clients and besides the occasional lunch or dinner with them, I only hung out with my local friends.

Much like now, I get invited to go to lunch or dinner or coffee about 5-7 times a DAY. I just don't have time to do that so I mostly don't. I typically will with clients of mine but I work a ton as I own many properties and I own companies in the USA, Mexico, Argentina. I'm also writing my autobiography so I don't have a lot of free time.

Here you can see all the neighborhoods of Buenos Aires - https://buysellba.com/buenos-aires-neighborhood. You can click on the Learn More and see more detail about the boundaries of the area. The key thing is to just ask yourself what YOU like about the area and what is important to you as it will differ. I recommend renting some Airbnb in different areas before deciding where you want to settle down.

The #1 most important question to ask yourself if you're buying is "what is my main motivation for buying"?

Honestly you can't go wrong in many neighborhoods. The only ones I don't like are in the downtown area. It's active during the day but at night it can get desolate and also when they have strikes or protesters it's almost always downtown. I just don't like that area at all. I also don't like San Telmo for living. San Telmo is also turning into "Disneyland" too. I feel sorry for the residents there as it used to only be on Sundays but it's extending to other times of the week too.

Much like I don't really like the heart of Soho to live in now. I spent 2 months there this summer and while it was convenient with many restaurants, I found myself more times than not, going to other areas. It's also filled with graffiti. My favorite neighborhood for everyday living is definitely Recoleta. When I permanently move back, I will ONLY consider Recoleta to live for everyday living. Everything you need is a few blocks away. It's a real neighborhood. I have my bakeries there, my coffee shops, florists, grocery stores, laundrymats. You name it and it's there.

I own an apartment in Palermo Hollywood and I also enjoy staying there when I go for work. It's in a great area and the building has 24/7 security. It stays completely booked solid so I rent it out when I'm not using it and then when I know I will go,, I block it out and stay in it.

If I lived there and retired, I don't think you will necessarily want to be where ALL the tourists live. Many expats are mostly poor and many are living in San Telmo and more affordable areas. I lived in Buenos Aires for 9 years and I never ever hung out with Expats. I had 100% foreigner clients and besides the occasional lunch or dinner with them, I only hung out with my local friends.

Much like now, I get invited to go to lunch or dinner or coffee about 5-7 times a DAY. I just don't have time to do that so I mostly don't. I typically will with clients of mine but I work a ton as I own many properties and I own companies in the USA, Mexico, Argentina. I'm also writing my autobiography so I don't have a lot of free time.

Here you can see all the neighborhoods of Buenos Aires - https://buysellba.com/buenos-aires-neighborhood. You can click on the Learn More and see more detail about the boundaries of the area. The key thing is to just ask yourself what YOU like about the area and what is important to you as it will differ. I recommend renting some Airbnb in different areas before deciding where you want to settle down.

The #1 most important question to ask yourself if you're buying is "what is my main motivation for buying"?
That's a GREAT little brief of each neighborhood on your website. I already own a place so never went on your website www.buysellba.com but it was nice seeing all the photos and info on each area. My friend, used you over 15 years ago to purchase his property in Recoleta. He speaks very highly of you @earlyretirement .

Back