Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Milei meets with the most important figures in the technology sector

jackL

I think this is very important. I've heard that Milei wants to propose Argentina as an artificial intelligence hub and attract investments from the USA. I just hope this is the beginning that helps the country grow.

It would be amazing if he could get Apple to open up a store in BA but I guess a LOT would need to change with import laws and taxes and not sure any big companies would want to enter Argentina with their pathetic labor laws.

It would be amazing if he could get Apple to open up a store in BA but I guess a LOT would need to change with import laws and taxes and not sure any big companies would want to enter Argentina with their pathetic labor laws.

If Milei can get Apple to open up an Apple store in Buenos Aires and get prices down to reasonable prices I'm sure many of the young would vote for him! I got my iPhone stolen the other day at a bar. Stupid me as I left it on the table while I turned around and someone snatched it within 20 seconds. I blame myself but prices are crazy here!

If Milei can get Apple to open up an Apple store in Buenos Aires and get prices down to reasonable prices I'm sure many of the young would vote for him! I got my iPhone stolen the other day at a bar. Stupid me as I left it on the table while I turned around and someone snatched it within 20 seconds. I blame myself but prices are crazy here!
Cellphone theft must be very popular there. My friend and her friend also got their phones stolen there!

Cellphone theft must be very popular there. My friend and her friend also got their phones stolen there!
@Jenn since Milei got elected crime is worst than ever. See this article. Up to 10,000 cellphones are stolen each DAY here now.

Take a look at Recoleta today on a bus. Never seen or heard of anything like this in all my visits. I guess some on this forum are correct that crime is rampant. Sad.
There has always been lots of theft of bags, cellphones on public transport but with the economy so poor I think people are getting more aggressive. That's always been my biggest fear with a poor economy.

Oh, crap. Yes, prices are insane. Can you even get an iPhone 15 here? Maybe in Paraguay?

Yesterday an acquaintance had his phone taken from his pocket as he walked on Florida from Tucumán to Viamonte. He’s a local, tall guy, broad shoulders. He said he knows that the thief was a “punguista” because he didn’t feel a thing. His phone was in his front pocket but a corner of it was showing. Still, his phone was dark grey and so were his pants. It’s ridiculous how good those punguistas are at what they do. 🤬
You can get them on Mercado Libre but they are crazy expensive. Many locals just have a friend buy one when they are in the USA but fewer people are traveling these days. I have several local friends each time they go to Miami they always buy 1 or 2 extras and bring them back to sell.

What happened to your friend @Sunny is very common here. Even people that lived here all their lives and are careful are no match for the professional thieves here. Most of my friends have had a phone stolen at one point in their lives here.

Oh, crap. Yes, prices are insane. Can you even get an iPhone 15 here? Maybe in Paraguay?

Yesterday an acquaintance had his phone taken from his pocket as he walked on Florida from Tucumán to Viamonte. He’s a local, tall guy, broad shoulders. He said he knows that the thief was a “punguista” because he didn’t feel a thing. His phone was in his front pocket but a corner of it was showing. Still, his phone was dark grey and so were his pants. It’s ridiculous how good those punguistas are at what they do. 🤬
In Argentina, iPhones are unaffordable. I have a friend who might go to Ciudad del Este, Paraguay, during the next long weekend to buy electronics. According to him, iPhones are much cheaper there than here.

He told me to check out this page to get an idea of some prices.

I've been fortunate that in 23 years of living and working in Buenos Aires, I've never had a cellphone stolen. But sadly, I can't say the same for my employees. I had a large company and almost all of my employees had their cellphones stolen at some point. I don't actually think Buenos Aires is that dangerous of a city but there are a lot of cellphone thefts there and fortunately most of them are non-violent and many don't even know their phones were stolen.

Many years ago, when George Bush Jr. was President, his two twin daughters were in Buenos Aires. One of my friends was a Secret Service agent for them and on their protected detail. There were 6 of them. They were in San Telmo and were with 6 agents one had her purse stolen. None of them caught it. That is how good the thieves there are. I always laugh and say if 6 Secret Service Agents couldn't spot it then the odds of the average person are slim and none.

I've seen several acts of theft while living in Buenos Aires. I'll never forget one of the most memorable was this old woman walking outside of the HSBC branch in Recoleta on Callao. This was directly across the street from my office. The woman must have gotten a large withdrawal but no one would have known it except the teller. Well as soon as she walked out, a motorcycle with two guys grabbed the purse. This woman must have been at least 70 years old. I have to give her credit. She hung on to her purse and was dragged half a block.

You always have to be on guard there when dealing with money. I've dealt with tons of cash there because I've been heavily involved in real estate there for 20 years. Last year is the first time that I started getting reports of people that have been involved in money transport getting robbed at gunpoint.

That is crazy about President Bush's daughters! An eye opener how good the thieves there are! Would you say things are worse now or after the corralito?

I just looked on Google and found the story you are referencing.

That is crazy about President Bush's daughters! An eye opener how good the thieves there are! Would you say things are worse now or after the corralito?

I just looked on Google and found the story you are referencing.

Things were definitely worse after the corralito. It was chaos then. No comparison to me. You have to keep in mind there was a bank run, people couldn't withdraw their savings. There were 5 Presidents in the span of 12 DAYS. It was much worse then. People were breaking bank windows, breaking into stores and setting stuff on fire. I definitely think that was an all-time low for Argentina.

My office was in the same building as ex President Fernando de la Rua so I ran into him quite frequently. I had two entire floors in the building between his office. I saw a woman spit in his face outside of our building. Only in Argentina....

Things were definitely worse after the corralito. It was chaos then. No comparison to me. You have to keep in mind there was a bank run, people couldn't withdraw their savings. There were 5 Presidents in the span of 12 DAYS. It was much worse then. People were breaking bank windows, breaking into stores and setting stuff on fire. I definitely think that was an all-time low for Argentina.

My office was in the same building as ex President Fernando de la Rua so I ran into him quite frequently. I had two entire floors in the building between his office. I saw a woman spit in his face outside of our building. Only in Argentina....
I wasn't in Argentina then immediately after the corralito but my wife is a Porteña. She actually moved out of Argentina after that mess. She said it was not safe at all in Buenos Aires and people were really desperate.

That is crazy about President de la Rua. What did he do after the woman did that? Crazy.

To be fair it wasn't De La Rua's fault (entirely):

In Argentina whenever a non-peronist political party wins the elections the Peronists will do everything in their power to debilitate the government. Something similar happened with Macri and the same thing now with Milei. The difference is that the people is now aware of this modus-operandi and Milei is a strong president.

He was with Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook too. But not sure if companies really would want to have a large presence here. Many things here seem ass backwards. Taxes sound incredibly high, labor laws are crazy.

To be fair it wasn't De La Rua's fault (entirely):

In Argentina whenever a non-peronist political party wins the elections the Peronists will do everything in their power to debilitate the government. Something similar happened with Macri and the same thing now with Milei. The difference is that the people is now aware of this modus-operandi and Milei is a strong president.
I completely agree with you @enbits. You are exactly correct. That's how I saw it then. He was a really nice guy. I didn't know too much about Argentina politics then. But there was so much anger and people wanted to blame someone. Same thing happening with Milei. Even though he only took over a few months ago, many people have to have a face to blame and some can't bring themselves to blame someone from the Past so they blame the President.

That is crazy about President de la Rua. What did he do after the woman did that? Crazy.
Many people moved out of Argentina then. My friends all thought I was totally crazy to want to move to Argentina after the corralito. They saw chaos and I just saw an opportunity. Things turned out how I expected it would. Things don't go up forever and things don't go down forever. That's why I jumped back in the real estate space last year before President Milei got elected. I spelled out exactly what would happen and why and they have played out so far as I forecasted.

President de la Rua just took out a handkerchief and wiped his face. He was a really dignified man. There were a lot of people who blamed him and hated him. I had several employees that hated him and they wouldn't even ride up the elevator with him. I never said anything to them as that was their right but I always rode up the elevator with him.

His son was even dating Shakira at the time so it was cool I got to meet Shakira. I actually rented out an apartment to her a few times.