Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Real Estate News On Arroyo Street: This will be the new luxury hotel in Buenos Aires in a historic building - La Nacion Propiedades

BuySellBA

Administrator

On Arroyo Street: This will be the new luxury hotel in Buenos Aires in a historic building

November 29, 2023

The Mihanovich Building, where the elegant Sofitel hotel operated, will reopen its doors in January with a new luxury hotel: Casa Lucía

By Candelaria Reinoso Taccone

rs=w:1280

This will be the lobby of the Casa Lucía hotel, located on Arroyo Street where the Sofitel used to operate.

For 15 years, the iconic Sofitel hotel stood as a benchmark of elegance and luxury in the Retiro neighborhood. On the imposing Arroyo Street, full of art galleries, design shops, restaurants, award-winning bars and embassies, this iconic establishment marked its presence in one of the most impressive historical buildings in the city.

After the Cabezas family failed to reach an agreement with the owners of the Mihanovich Building, originally commissioned by businessman Nicolás Mihanovich from the builders of the Bencich Palace , the hotel permanently closed its doors in 2017, after 15 years of operation.

Today, after these years of uncertainty about the fate that would be given to this historic building, the Spanish chain Único Hotels reached an agreement with the Bencich family (owners of the building since 1929 when Mihanovich died) to rent the building for the next Two decades.

The Mihanovich Building was conceived as a rental building by businessman Nicolás Mihanovich.

With this partnership, and after a year of work, they are preparing to open a five-star hotel on Arroyo Street in January 2024. “I am an admirer of the vitality, elegance and creativity of Buenos Aires and the enormous natural attractions of Argentina , so when two good friends proposed this opportunity to me on one of the best streets in the city, the offer was irresistible. ”says Pau Guardans i Cambó, General Director of Único Hotels .

“Argentina has always amazed me because it is a country that has it all: mountains, oceans, deserts and ice, and because it is the beloved home of much of my family. Logically, any investment must respond to a well-designed business plan (and this has been the case) but in life sometimes luck favors and you can start a business in an environment where enthusiasm accompanies," says the Catalan.

Único Hotels was born in Madrid in 2004 and currently operates half a dozen luxury establishments in Madrid, Barcelona and the Spanish Costa Brava. The company that will be in charge of the hotel in Buenos Aires is made up of Guardans i Cambó together with two friends and local partners, the real estate developer Diego Mazer and the hotel operator Marcelo Wolodarsky, and operates under the name of Hotel Arroyo SA.

What will work in the ex-Sofitel​

The remodeling was led by the Buenos Aires firm Torrado Arquitectos and the interior design team at Fernanda Schuch Studios.

Hotel Casa Lucía will open its doors in January 2024.

Called Casa Lucia, the hotel marks the first venture outside of Spain for the chain. Choosing a name is never easy. We wanted to convey two main ideas: offer guests a closer, modern and informal luxury experience, and highlight our local commitment to the attractions of the destination. We chose an Argentine female name as a tribute to the women of the country,” explains Guardans i Cambó.

Casa Lucia will operate like the former Sofitel in the Mihanovich Building, which once knew it was the tallest construction in Latin America. Designed to offer spectacular views of the Río de la Plata, it was often compared to a lighthouse intended to welcome those who arrive for the first time in Buenos Aires.

A diversity of elements made by local artisans were incorporated, such as lamps by Christián Mohaded, tapestries by Cristina Codern and a collection of photographs by Ricardo Piñeiro.

Regarding the negotiation for the building, Guardans i Cambó shares that the process is not simple. “It was necessary to bring positions closer together and seek long-term agreements, but all of us who were involved were clear that we were facing a very special adventure: returning the shine and renewed life to an iconic building that is almost 100 years old,” mentions the Catalan.

According to the owner of the hotel chain, to date, the most challenging task was, without a doubt, carrying out “such an ambitious renovation in such a tight deadline.” At the same time, it highlights the complex current situation in the country, characterized by challenges in terms of supplies and imports. “For the Unico Hotels team involved, taking on this project as locals has been an intense experience,” says the owner.

A complete redefinition of spaces, their uses and all decoration was carried out.

The remodeling, led by the firm Torrado Arquitectos of Buenos Aires and the interior design team of Fernanda Schuch Studios, lasted over a year and addressed highly demanding aspects in terms of facilities, such as elevators, air conditioning systems, lighting and kitchens. In addition, a complete redefinition of spaces, their uses and all decoration was carried out. However, Guardans i Cambó is grateful for having had an “invaluable advantage” such as the outstanding architectural structure of the building.

Spanish chain and Buenos Aires experience​

Casa Lucia will have its own restaurant inspired by authentic Argentine flavors: “La Cantina”.

The proposal includes a cocktail bar open to the local public that will offer a selection of more than 400 Argentine wine labels.

The purpose of the hotel is evident: to provide an authentically Argentine experience, in tune with the essence of Buenos Aires. To achieve this, they chose to incorporate a diversity of elements made by local artisans, such as lamps by Christián Mohaded, tapestries by Cristina Codern, a collection of photographs by Ricardo Piñeiro ( former model manager who died today ), and a prominent mural in the main entrance created by local artist Cristina Codern.

“For us, the commitment to local is not simply an additional layer in the hotel; It is an integral part of your DNA. We seek to create a hotel space open to the city, where the people of Buenos Aires adopt it as their own and that has a dynamic cultural agenda that promotes interaction between visitors and residents,” explains the Catalan.

Casa Lucía will offer 142 rooms and suites.

Almost all rooms have balconies equipped with showers, lounge chairs and outdoor tables.

In the gastronomic field, Casa Lucia is looking forward to revealing its new concept: its own restaurant inspired by authentic Argentine flavors, “La Cantina”, which will be located in a bright dining room and six rooms with private service and natural light. Additionally, adjacent will be “Le Club Bacan”, a cocktail bar open to the local public that will offer a selection of more than 400 Argentine wine labels. The only Spanish nod will be the “tapas” proposal that will be offered at the bar, with typical dishes from almost all areas of Spain.

With almost the same number as the Sofitel, Casa Lucía will offer 142 rooms and suites, many of which have balconies equipped with showers, lounge chairs and outdoor tables. In addition, it will have a spa that will include three treatment cabins, a gym and a 16-meter heated pool, surrounded by mirrors and enhanced with the photographic work of artist Marc Zimmerman.

The hotel will offer views of the Río de la Plata.

Nightly rates will start at US$670. In the case of paying with local currency, the official exchange rate will be applied, while foreigners who pay in dollars by card will be exempt from paying VAT.

“Argentina is a destination with enormous attractiveness that is largely yet to be discovered. There is still much to do. If things are done well, tourism can be a very important driver of development for the country, as it was for Spain. But there are key aspects such as visitor safety or internal air connections that must be well taken care of,” reflects Guardans i Cambó.

The hotel, although it hopes to open its doors in January 2024, does not have a planned opening. “Maybe in a few months we will hold an event to celebrate the warm welcome that the country is giving us, but we will do it gradually,” adds the owner. “With humility, we seek to make our way in the luxury offering among the best hotels in Buenos Aires. We know this will take time, but we have all the necessary pieces, plus a large dose of enthusiasm and some experience,” he concludes.

www.buysellba.com

Wow! I've eaten in the Sofitel many times and stayed here 2 times many years ago but I haven't been there in a few years. This place looks incredible! Only in Argentina when they hope to open their doors in January 2024 (1 month away) and it "doesn't have a planned opening". I love luxurious properties. I will take one for the team and stay here and post a review of the stay.

I have stayed here before when it was the Sofitel and it was quite nice. I wonder how the renovations will be? It WAS getting a little tired. I can't wait to see your review.

Back