Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Poverty has no limit in Argentina

Well it's not easy solving the mess with the economy. To some it may come across as insensitive but Milei's attitude is that there have already been decades of delaying to fix the problem and it has to be solved and it's going to be painful to solve it but it has to be done. I don't think the issue is being non-empathetic. Everyone has empathy and sympathy for the poor and middle class but these problems have to be dealt with and there is no more time to delay.

For sure it is painful but some people are so desperate for change and for many they understand that things won't change here without fixing these problems. I don't think of it as stabbing anyone in the back. Just that the government can't afford to subsidize so much of all of these costs. Will be painful no doubt about it but I wouldn't say that anyone is stabbing anyone in the back. He said from before he was elected all of these things needed to change.

The government's main job is to make sure their core voters don't feel dissolutioned while implementing their changes. Cristina understood that very well seems like Milei doesn't. He needs to learn fast or be voted out in 2 years

Who can live on just 224 USD a month? Most of these retirees worked and contributed their whole lives for a decent pension. No one will convince me that this is acceptable. It doesn’t matter if it was the Kirchnerists or Milei; they continue to cut back on the most vulnerable sector.

The government's main job is to make sure their core voters don't feel dissolutioned while implementing their changes. Cristina understood that very well seems like Milei doesn't. He needs to learn fast or be voted out in 2 years
Agree that if people don't feel an improvement soon the tides will probably turn. I think that the new President is doing a lot of good things. It is impressive how much they have been able to do with only having a few people in their political party. I know Argentina is in a recession but I wonder how things will be next year. Fascinating watching everything and reading some of these posts.

Who can live on just 224 USD a month? Most of these retirees worked and contributed their whole lives for a decent pension. No one will convince me that this is acceptable. It doesn’t matter if it was the Kirchnerists or Milei; they continue to cut back on the most vulnerable sector.
I don't think that retirement in any country is expected to be the only source of money. I know it is not in the States. How much has the typical retiree contributed or paid into the system in Argentina? I read somewhere that many are eligible and they haven't paid much into the system. I don't know if that is true or not. $224 dollars doesn't seem like a lot but cost of living there is much lower than other places.

I'm not saying people don't deserve more. They probably do. It just seems to be a matter of what is and is not possible.

I see your point about spending and fiscal sustainability. However, rather than making broad cuts that impact everyone, we could focus on adjustments for specific sectors, like the high-income earners, rather than reducing their taxes. Argentina has one of the lowest minimum pensions, and the promised adjustments to the political sector haven’t happened. It's crucial to address these issues fairly and equitably to ensure that adjustments don’t disproportionately affect the more vulnerable segments of society.

The fact that retirees have one of the lowest minimum pensions in the world is newsworthy, it doesn’t take much intelligence to see that something is seriously wrong. And it’s not just Milei to blame; the previous administration left a minimum pension of only 156 USD. Milei promised not to touch pensions in his speech, and here we are.

View attachment 7090View attachment 7091
I don't think you should really be comparing pensions in Argentina with first world countries. Odds are people paid in a lot more into their pensions in these other countries vs. Argentina. From what some locals have told me, many of the lower and middle classes haven't really paid that much in. Looking at this photo that has the countries, countries that have a much stronger economy like Chile is only at $290.

Something tells me that pensioners here would be complaining no matter if they got raised or not.

I don't think you should really be comparing pensions in Argentina with first world countries. Odds are people paid in a lot more into their pensions in these other countries vs. Argentina. From what some locals have told me, many of the lower and middle classes haven't really paid that much in. Looking at this photo that has the countries, countries that have a much stronger economy like Chile is only at $290.

Something tells me that pensioners here would be complaining no matter if they got raised or not.
Very true. I'm not sure the system in Argentina but here in the US, both the employee and the employer pay towards social security. Isn't the medium income in Argentina only around $500 bucks a month? If so by that measure, it seems like $225 is understandable. Maybe the government will increase this as the economy improves.

Milei's entire argument has been no hay plata from the beginning wasn't it? I guess every group thought it didn't mean them.

the previous administration left a minimum pension of only 156 USD. Milei promised not to touch pensions in his speech, and here we are.
What am I missing here? If the minimum pension was only $156 USD with previous administration and it's $224 USD now. When you say @CecilM that he promised not to touch pensions and "here we are" what do you mean? Did he touch the pension? That is a healthy % increase from what they were getting before. What are you advocating it should be?

What am I missing here? If the minimum pension was only $156 USD with previous administration and it's $224 USD now. When you say @CecilM that he promised not to touch pensions and "here we are" what do you mean? Did he touch the pension? That is a healthy % increase from what they were getting before. What are you advocating it should be?
That's what I don't get. Even their Economic Minister is saying that in real terms accounting for inflation their payments have gone up.

This is what I mean when I say that budget cuts should target a different sector. Here we have a senator, who happens to be libertarian in this case, but could just as easily be Peronist, that’s not the issue, who openly admits to having 15 advisors. He even justifies the expense by saying he needs them for his campaign because he wants to run for governor of his province. I think this needs to stop; it's disgraceful. I hope the attention this issue is getting leads to some action.

This is what I mean when I say that budget cuts should target a different sector. Here we have a senator, who happens to be libertarian in this case, but could just as easily be Peronist, that’s not the issue, who openly admits to having 15 advisors. He even justifies the expense by saying he needs them for his campaign because he wants to run for governor of his province. I think this needs to stop; it's disgraceful. I hope the attention this issue is getting leads to some action.

They just have to cut down on all the corruption but I fear it's an impossible task. Impossible when the Senators all want to give themselves huge raises and don't want to with the pensioners. At least Milei is reasonable with his own salary to set a good example.

Many pensioners aren't just angry about not getting bigger increases but the government has stopped paying for several essential medications which I am totally against.

But from the sound of things, the pension payments were even lower under CFK yes? I am guessing the pensioners were probably protesting then too? It sounds like these protests are perpetual and been going on for decades no matter which President is in power. The "who can live on only $XXX" line has probably happens every election cycle I am guessing?

Reactions: Bob
But from the sound of things, the pension payments were even lower under CFK yes? I am guessing the pensioners were probably protesting then too? It sounds like these protests are perpetual and been going on for decades no matter which President is in power. The "who can live on only $XXX" line has probably happens every election cycle I am guessing?
Protests are a part of life here. Seems like someone is always complaining here and there are protests.

Everything is slowly getting organized. This should have been implemented a long time ago, any foreigner who commits a crime should be sent back to their country. Thankfully, it's now underway. Jorge Macri made it very clear: those who come to build up this country are welcome, but criminals need to go. The state shouldn’t spend a single cent on that kind of trash.

So much mismanagement and corruption from previous administrations made Argentina so poor. Look at this: Milei canceled 22,000 welfare plans from Bolivian nationals who would cross into Argentina, collect the money, and return to their country. How is it possible that in all those years, previous governments didn’t do the job of controlling this? It’s outrageous.

Unfortunately there are probably thousands of things like this. If they can just get rid of the corruption, there should be plenty of $$$. This government is weeding out some of it but it will probably take many years to find all of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Mya
Argentina's exports saw an increase during the first half of 2024, so it's not all bad news. It's just a matter of time, inflation is dropping month by month, employment has grown in certain sectors, and exports are on the rise. I think it's a positive outlook, and there's reason to stay hopeful.

Industry and construction are also beginning to recover, and it's just a matter of time before we see the benefits of Milei's presidency. Although many are still feeling the effects of the crisis, key sectors are showing positive results. This is the right path forward, even though times are tough for a lot of people right now.

Meanwhile, families are needing more and more money just to live decently and avoid falling below the poverty line... it’s sad.

The poverty is sad but there is also a lot of people that seem like they are doing ok too. If you look at the economy, July 2024 registered the most car transfers in the history of Argentina. Either people buying a new car or buying a used car and getting the ownership transferred to their name.

GXTTySSWEAAL8gs.jpeg

The poverty is sad but there is also a lot of people that seem like they are doing ok too. If you look at the economy, July 2024 registered the most car transfers in the history of Argentina. Either people buying a new car or buying a used car and getting the ownership transferred to their name.

View attachment 7285
You are looking at the glass half full. Consider that many people were forced to sell their cars as they can't afford them anymore. I know 3 people that had to sell their car at a deep discount just to put food on the table. Many can't afford to keep their automobiles now. So my guess is the activity is people forced to sell their cars.

Back