Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Riots in Congress During the Debate on the Bases Law: They Are Not Protesters, They Are Savages

C'mon, there's crap like this and worse happening all over the world and all over the States. Does January 6 ring a bell? Those protestors looked and behaved like savages too, didn't they? People died. Thugs destroyed, robbed, soiled, set fires. And that was the US of bloody A, a supposedly civilized superpower.

Is this normal here? Yes, pretty normal when the peronist cancer loses an election.
Many US cities have crazy stuff going on now. January 6 was a disgrace! And many ended up in jail. There is no place for that in any society.

The rioters are puppets, their puppeteers are not trying to make a point. They have been desperately trying to destabilize the government through pickets, threats and fake news. Since that didn't work, they follow up with riots and they will continue until Bullrich gets it right (if she ever does).
Some say Bullrich allowed all of that to show how desperate the other side is. Maybe it was a stroke of genius to allow that to play out the way it did. The votes came through and that is all that matters for today.

There are a lot of Bolivians, Paraguayans and, I think, Peruvians who are on welfare (called "plan/planes" here) and have DNIs. Those people are used by the corrupt politicians and union bosses (welfare for votes). The peronist governments kept the northern border open for that reason and it's been a disaster for the country.
But to be fair you don't know that these people were behind this do you? Was this in the news that it was foreigners behind this? I totally don't know and had no interactions with these people while I was there. The only ones I met were Uber drivers that were from Venezuela and they all seemed to like Milei.

There are millions of Paraguayans and Bolivians in Argentina, the vast majority entered the country illegally. Most live in slums (villa miseria) and are on welfare (plans). Yes, it has been in the news that ilegal aliens have been given DNIs just before elections, that ilegal aliens have been forced to go to participate in political acts, marches, pickets. So that it is clear: it is not that these people are behind this, it is that these people are forced to do it. If they don't their planes are taken away.
The people ultimately behind it are CFK and the like. Argentina has plenty of ignorant citizens on its own. Not saying these people aren't involved but the most corrupt are Argentines.

Hilarious watching the reaction of the Kirchneristas!

It seems that the guy who set fire to the journalist's car is a municipal employee of La Matanza Town hall.

No prizes for guessing which party controls the town hall in the most horrible city of the province...

Just in case you don't know, after 50 years of Peronist rule in Lat Matanza only 50 % of the houses have sewers.

It seems that the guy who set fire to the journalist's car is a municipal employee of La Matanza Town hall.

No prizes for guessing which party controls the town hall in the most horrible city of the province...

Just in case you don't know, after 50 years of Peronist rule in Lat Matanza only 50 % of the houses have sewers.
No surprise at all there. Wow, I didn't know that fact about only 50% having sewers.

My friend said that there were a lot of pot banging in the streets after the vote. She asked and the locals told her that this is common when protesting. Seems like a weird way to protest. Does anyone know the origins of how they started to bang on pots and pans? @Sunny did they do this when you lived in BA when you were younger?

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. It's a no win situation in Argentina with 50% of the population against Milei you have too much blowback if people get hurt. This is actually not too bad. It's been much worse before. The positive is that these events are contained and you'd never know they were going on unless you saw it on the news. People avoid this area except if they want to be protesting and a part of this. No one else wants to be there and avoid it.
Yes it looks like if they were more severe they would get severe backlash from the 50% that are against them.

Crazy that government employees are there. Isn't the government on a firing spree. Can that employee lose his job for this kind of thing? Is he in jail?

Crazy that government employees are there. Isn't the government on a firing spree. Can that employee lose his job for this kind of thing? Is he in jail?
The worst thing is that it's almost impossible to fire employees here without having to pay big penalties. I hope this employee gets fired. That is one of the things Milei is trying to change. Labor reform. There are a lot of whacky laws on the books when it comes to employees.

Exactly, Jenn. Those thugs are not from CABA. Many live in slums in the "Conurbano" konn-oor-BAH-noh (an area outside of CABA, in the Province of Buenos Aires). Not all areas of the Conurbano are bad; acually, there are some very beautiful places there, like Vicente López, Acassuso, San Isidro, Tigre, Parque Leloir, Ituzaingó, Adrogué, but many areas outside of CABA are terrible places, dangerous too, where that kind of people live.

View attachment 6462
Luckily, there aren't any people from the conurbano on this forum, right? Haha, that was a bit of a racist comment. The areas you mentioned are even more expensive than CABA. The northern zone is where the high society lives, celebrities and millionaires. Without saying it, you were referring to the southern conurbano. I don't agree with generalizing or being racist based on where someone comes from or lives.

The rioters are puppets, their puppeteers are not trying to make a point. They have been desperately trying to destabilize the government through pickets, threats and fake news. Since that didn't work, they follow up with riots and they will continue until Bullrich gets it right (if she ever does).
Yes this is the same thing my novia and her family say. I also don't get why they aren't more strict but I'm told it's not as easy as it appears with 50% of the popular against. It could escalate things they tell me.

@@

@MikeYoung , he is not a government employee but a municipal employee and probably a card carrying member of the CFK Fan Club
Ok got it but are municipal employees allowed to do this? Are there no ramifications for municipal employees for doing this sort of thing or getting arrested? Seems wild that people think they can do this kind of thing and not get fired from their employers?

I also saw this woman who I assume is a Peronist. Are they all like this?

Ok got it but are municipal employees allowed to do this? Are there no ramifications for municipal employees for doing this sort of thing or getting arrested? Seems wild that people think they can do this kind of thing and not get fired from their employers?

I also saw this woman who I assume is a Peronist. Are they all like this?

@MikeYoung you'd be surprised. It is very difficult to terminate or fire employees here. And if you do, there is a lot of severance pay that you have to pay them. The longer they have worked the more pay you have to pay them.

I saw this on X. I guess the families of those detained are going to protest their relatives getting arrested for acting out during the riots. What the heck did they expect to happen?? Is it normal to be that aggressive and destroy property and set fires and expect not to get arrested in Argentina?Is that how it was before in previous administrations?

The issue is that they arrested people that weren't burning cars or making disruption. Some people claim to be peacefully protesting and getting arrested.

Back