Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Solo Female Traveler

Malenn

Hey! So, I'm heading to Buenos Aires for two months in May and I'm torn between two Airbnb options: one in Recoleta and the other in Palermo Hollywood. I'll be working near the Obelisco, but only part-time, not every day.

The place in Palermo is on the ground floor with no view, but it's in a gorgeous building. Meanwhile, the one in Recoleta is higher up with an amazing view of the park and cemetery.

Which do you think I should go for? Thanks a bunch for your help! :)

So, both Recoleta and Palermo are pretty upscale neighborhoods. Recoleta has this old-school vibe, you know? Like, its restaurants are more geared towards the old money crowd. On the flip side, Palermo is like the ultimate hipster hood. Tons of young, artsy folks hanging out there.

If it were me, I'd go with Recoleta (way closer to your gig), and then hit up Palermo for the nightlife scene. Best of both worlds, right?

Hello! So, as a fellow 25-year-old, I think Palermo is totally your vibe. More nightlife, more people... just more fun overall!
Now, onto some daily routine tips: please, try not to text or play on your phone while walking, waiting, or on public transportation. And keep your phone and valuables in secure pockets, especially on the bus or subway. Most of us try to keep our backpacks in front of us for extra safety. Oh, and never leave your stuff unattended at cafes or restaurants, especially if you're sitting outside.
If someone calls you "amiga" or tries to sell you something, just politely say "no, gracias" and keep moving. Not saying all street sellers are sketchy, but better safe than sorry, right?
And speaking of safety, don't go telling everyone you're all alone or sharing your schedule. It's just common sense to keep that stuff to yourself.
Argentina is seriously stunning and not as scary as some people make it out to be, but you still gotta be careful, especially with petty crime — that's the most common thing.
Anyway, if you need anything at all, whether it's restaurant recommendations or just some advice, hit me up! I'm here to help! :)

I work in Palermo, and trust me, you gotta stay there. It's awesome, super vibrant day and night, and totally suits young folks like us way more than Recoleta. And as for public transport, you'll be good to go in either neighborhood!

Is that the only choice you've got in Palermo? 🥲 I used to be a Palermo resident until I moved to Recoleta two months back. At 38 with no kids, I'm all about the nightlife. And man, do I miss Palermo! The energy there is just unmatched. I mean, nothing against the older folks, the hobos, or the Brazilians (love 'em all, just saying, a bit of variety is nice 😅). Here's the deal: How much time do you really plan on chilling at your place? If it's gonna be a fair bit, maybe go with Recoleta. But if you're more about soaking up the city vibe, then Palermo's your spot. Hope that helps! And trust me, you're gonna have a blast in this incredible city ❤️

I would avoid the groundfloor unit. Recoleta is a beautiful area and the higher apartment will most likely more quiet.

I would go for the unit in Recoleta. I own properties in both Recoleta and Palermo Hollywood and I formally lived in Recoleta. I would much prefer Recoleta for many different reasons. This sounds like a no brainer to me. I would avoid ground floor units. For many different reasons. Safety/security, no light and darker, no view. More noise. Definitely if you have a choice between higher floor with view and natural sunlight I would take that.

Recoleta is a great neighborhood and everything you would need is all within a few blocks. You can find anything you need. It's also more Central. It sounds like you will only be going into the office infrequently so you can easily take an Uber or public transport that day. But since you are asking, I'd much prefer Recoleta vs. Palermo Hollywood.

In the area you are talking about it's a great area. I lived in that area for many years. I lived over on Avenida Alvear and Callao and it was fabulous. Great restaurants, grocery stores, cafes, bakeries, and just about anything you could possible need is all within a few blocks. Palermo Hollywood is also a fine area but between the two I'd definitely go with the high floor, great view and full of natural sunlight in Recoleta.

Both areas are very safe so no issues there.

Back