Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Specific questions about living in Buenos Aires

saman

Hi, I am thinking of moving to Buenos Aires for work and I have some questions:
  1. Can my cat safely wander outdoors there?
  2. Is public transport reliable and safe?
  3. Is biking to work a viable option (I get it, it can get pretty hot)?
  4. What's the social dancing scene like? I've heard there's a lot of tango, but what about salsa/bachata/merengue?
  5. Are electric vehicles common, and is there a good charging infrastructure in the area?
oh y the way I will stay in Palermo or Recoleta.

Tango is entirely geared towards tourists; it's not something people typically dance or even listen to in their everyday lives. I've lived in Argentina for 20 years, and I don't know anyone under 70 who's into tango, let alone dancing it.

1. Outskirts? Probably yes (mine does), but some people treat their pets like babies and will insist they should be kept indoors. And they get upset if you don't.
  2. Yes during the day, not so much at night.
  3. Same number 2
  4. There's hardly any tango for locals. It's mostly for tourists.
  5. No. None at all.

1. Outskirts? Probably yes (mine does), but some people treat their pets like babies and will insist they should be kept indoors. And they get upset if you don't.
  2. Yes during the day, not so much at night.
  3. Same number 2
  4. There's hardly any tango for locals. It's mostly for tourists.
  5. No. None at all.
Thank you, thank you. Yes, I mean, my cat is my baby, but I wouldn't like to keep him indoors. I understand it's more dangerous for him, but it makes him happy so .... Thanks for the honest answer!

Hi, I am thinking of moving to Buenos Aires for work and I have some questions:
  1. Can my cat safely wander outdoors there?
  2. Is public transport reliable and safe?
  3. Is biking to work a viable option (I get it, it can get pretty hot)?
  4. What's the social dancing scene like? I've heard there's a lot of tango, but what about salsa/bachata/merengue?
  5. Are electric vehicles common, and is there a good charging infrastructure in the area?
oh y the way I will stay in Palermo or Recoleta.
Welcome to Buenos Aires.

1. Where will you be living in BA? Buenos Aires is mostly apartment buildings. I wouldn't recommend letting your cat just roam around the city. It might get run over be a car/bus or someone might just take it. Unless you had a house with a yard we wouldn't recommend it.

2. Yes, public transportation is very safe and reliable. Sometimes there are some subway outages but they are posted. There is a dependable and affordable bus network and rideshare like Uber and Cabify and Didi are available all throughout the city and it's very affordable for a large metropolitan city.

3. Biking has gotten much better and there are some bike lanes but it would depend on what your point A to point B destination is but it's gotten much better over the years. Just keep in mind however, bike theft is rampant here even if you lock it up so you will have to keep that in mind.

4. Social scene is fabulous. You can find a bit of everything here. Thre are many people from Mercosur areas so you will be able to find what you like.

5. No EV's are not common in Buenos Aires and there is not a good charging network infrastructure so there aren't many vehicles at all and probably won't be in the near future.

Recoleta and Palermo are two of the best and nicest neighborhoods to live in.

I really found Recoleta and Palermo to be the two most upscale neighborhoods. Also Puerto Madero but I didn't think Puerto Madero was a match for me as it was just all modern and too far away from most of the places I was going to. I ended up buying an apartment in Palermo right in the center of town which was very easy to get to everything. I also liked Belgrano but it was too far away.

Really all of CABA is safe. Most tourists prefer Palermo or Recoleta is also very good area. I live here all my life and never have problem.

Back