Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Tank poses, gifts and a toast – Milei’s Independence Day military parade

Avocado

What a waste of precious funds. No hay plata but I can't imagine how much they waste on this parade.

The ex-combatants also questioned the "unnecessary expense of a parade when there are people dying of hunger and cold in the richest district in the country."

Agree this was unnecessary. The President and VP looked ridiculous climbing and riding down the road in the tank. Military spending is the last thing the government needs to spend on. They should focus on feeding all the starving in Argentina before they waste money on this.

I also went today and never witnessed anything like this. In the USA we don't have anything like this. I feel lucky to be in Argentina right now witnessing the change that is going on. Something cool I saw today was little kids that were excited to see the President. That has to be something new in this country. Kids genuinely excited and giddy.

I thought it was cool they invited the Veteren's too which seem really grateful to be here today.

I also went today and never witnessed anything like this. In the USA we don't have anything like this. I feel lucky to be in Argentina right now witnessing the change that is going on. Something cool I saw today was little kids that were excited to see the President. That has to be something new in this country. Kids genuinely excited and giddy.

I thought it was cool they invited the Veteren's too which seem really grateful to be here today.

Great that you are in Argentina @Digital Nomad. And to @Avocado and @Larry that sometimes mentions that President Milei will need to get airlifted out of office. Well you got your helicopters today but probably not what you were expecting.

What a waste of precious funds. No hay plata but I can't imagine how much they waste on this parade.

The ex-combatants also questioned the "unnecessary expense of a parade when there are people dying of hunger and cold in the richest district in the country."
How can anyone take anything that website posts seriously? They constantly just bash Milei. I understand constructive arguments but it gets tiring reading that over and over.

I went to the parade today and it was incredible. I haven't been here too long but people seemed happy and proud to be Argentines which isn't always been the case here over the past few months.

Does anyone have any estimates of how many people watched the parade? I went late so I wasn't up at the front but it was massive the crowds.

How can anyone take anything that website posts seriously? They constantly just bash Milei. I understand constructive arguments but it gets tiring reading that over and over.

I went to the parade today and it was incredible. I haven't been here too long but people seemed happy and proud to be Argentines which isn't always been the case here over the past few months.

Does anyone have any estimates of how many people watched the parade? I went late so I wasn't up at the front but it was massive the crowds.

That is so beautiful. Thank you to all of you for posting some of these videos. It is wonderful to see such patriotism. My husband told me that Argentina didn't have a big military but this looks like it is sizable. I look forward to returning again for another visit at the end of this year.

I disagree with you @Avocado. I've lived in Buenos Aires all my life and I never saw anything like today. Seeing all the Argentine flags and everyone chanting together was just impressive. Watch some of those videos and they don't begin to even describe the feeling of today.

The Independence Day celebration on July 9th was truly beautiful this year. It's amazing to see how much the festivities have grown in importance and participation compared to previous years. The streets were filled with families, all coming together to honor this significant day in this nation's history.

For a long time, this day didn't receive the attention it deserved, but now it's become a vibrant celebration that everyone looks forward to. Watching the kids wave their flags and families enjoying the parades and activities reminded me of the unity and pride we share as a country. It's heartwarming to see how the tradition has evolved, and I hope it continues to be a day where everyone comes together to celebrate our independence and heritage.

I am patriotic for my country. I just don't think this is needed when there is so much poverty and people starving. Even the American newspaper Wall Street Journal is making fun of Milei and the VP.

wsj.jpeg

We love Argentina and yesterday made us realize more than ever that we made the right choice moving here.
Same for me. We move here from Russia. In Russia it's normal to have big military parade but now people don't have pride in our military. People in my country just want peace. Yesterday was something different. Make me proud to have my baby born here and have passport here. We all proud to be Argentines now.

I am patriotic for my country. I just don't think this is needed when there is so much poverty and people starving. Even the American newspaper Wall Street Journal is making fun of Milei and the VP.

View attachment 6626
I watched a lot of coverage of the celebration on the news and X. Incredible. The only thing that probably wasn't a good idea was getting on the tank. Never think that is a good idea. Surprised a reputable newspaper like the WSJ would poke fun of the event. But it has gone downhill over the years.

Back