Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink The best Malbec in the world is Argentine

Russell

The best Malbec in the world is Argentine, and believe it or not, you can get it for less than ARS 7,000. At the Sommeliers Choice Awards recently held in Chicago, this Argentine wine took the top spot as the best Malbec in the world: The Trapiche Tesoro Malbec 2022, beat out a bunch of international competitors :)

That is an excellent Malbec. It always surprises me how affordable an excellent bottle of wine is here in Argentina and how much the mark up is in restaurants around the world. I once saw a $10 USD bottle of wine here in Argentina and in NYC at a restaurant they were charging $120 per bottle. Talk about mark up!

Many people mistakenly think all Malbecs are only from Argentina but they have excellent Malbecs from Chile, California, Uruguay, Australia and New Zealand too. But my favorites are from Argentina!

The word “malbec” originates from the French words “mal bouche,” meaning “bad mouth,” because of the poor opinion old French winemakers had about the grape. It seemed that the variety was going to be forgotten -- little did they know that the malbec revolution was just beginning.

Malbec was brought to Argentina in 1852 by Michel A. Pouget, a French agronomist who was hired by the Argentine government. It quickly grew in popularity because of the way it adapted to the terroir of Mendoza. By the late 20th century, it was the country’s signature wine grape.

Is this true? I always heard it was called Malbec from the guy that originally planted it. Monsieur Malbec. I guess it doesn't really matter but interesting to read the URL you posted.

Is this true? I always heard it was called Malbec from the guy that originally planted it. Monsieur Malbec. I guess it doesn't really matter but interesting to read the URL you posted.

That's the story/legend that I've been told but who knows...

This is the story that I heard as well about how Malbec got it's name.

Yes, I guess it's around 6 bucks in Arg. Wine is not produced here so it has to be imported. Chilean wine is cheaper so I guess Argentinean export taxes are high. There are also Italian, French, Spanish and even wines from USA.
I was amazed at how affordable great wine was in Argentina. I knew import taxes were high in Argentina but I didn't know export taxes were also high. I got spoiled by how cheap wine was in Buenos Aires even at nice places. Back here in Dallas and at many places a totally mediocre bottle of wine is outrageous. Even a glass of wine here is about the cost of 2 or 3 bottles in Argentina!

I was amazed at how affordable great wine was in Argentina. I knew import taxes were high in Argentina but I didn't know export taxes were also high. I got spoiled by how cheap wine was in Buenos Aires even at nice places. Back here in Dallas and at many places a totally mediocre bottle of wine is outrageous. Even a glass of wine here is about the cost of 2 or 3 bottles in Argentina!
Yeah for those 20 bucks I spent here you can get a really good Catena Zapata, Enemigo or similar. Of course it's all local so you'll get the best prices. I guess importing/exporting wines is costly everywhere.

Yeah for those 20 bucks I spent here you can get a really good Catena Zapata, Enemigo or similar. Of course it's all local so you'll get the best prices. I guess importing/exporting wines is costly everywhere.
I think the mark up on wines outside of Argentina is massive. I don't think Argentines will pay much mark up at all but in the States the markup is massive even if they don't pay a lot. My friend owns a restaurant and he said all the money they make is on booze and beverages.

After coming to Argentina for a while, it's impossible for me to pay tons of $$$$ for wine when I come back to the US and dining out. Argentina really spoils you on great wine for not a lot of money.

Back