Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

OdGreen

I don't know whats going on but I just got 63.25 from a credit card and 74.08 if you pay in the store from western union maybe a glitch or all hell breaking loose tomorrow.

western union pay in store in usa is at 77.81 can anybody explain this new contado con liquidi why has western union gone from 56 to 78 in 3 weeks and do you think this dollar is going to stay been sending money to Arg for 15 years never heard of it until 3 days ago thanks.

Early this evening: $531.90 Pesos to $1.00 USD on the WU website.
Yeah I saw that Steve. Seems like it's moving fairly quickly now. I know that the kids get 2 weeks off for vacation and many of my friends are traveling to Brazil and USA for their break. Maybe all the purchasing of dollars right now is causing the rise. I'm not sure if that is what the sudden jump is from but that probably doesn't help.

Also, a great place to exchange US dollars if you need to exchange in Recoleta is at Pueyrredon 1687 @ Juncal. A local friend told me about it. By far the best rates.

I was going to send a Western Union today but the rate is only 588 to $1 US while the blue rate is 690. Does it usually take a few days for them to catch up with the big currency moves? Usually it's pretty close to the exchange rate.

I was going to send a Western Union today but the rate is only 588 to $1 US while the blue rate is 690. Does it usually take a few days for them to catch up with the big currency moves? Usually it's pretty close to the exchange rate.
It is a steal.... Visa as of today 1 USD = 573.552945 ARS ( MEP is at 664 ) and WU 588 ARS to 1 USD ( CCL is at 689 ) they are paying about 100 pesos less. I will not exchange at these rates, will rather visit the dark side....

It is a steal.... Visa as of today 1 USD = 573.552945 ARS ( MEP is at 664 ) and WU 588 ARS to 1 USD ( CCL is at 689 ) they are paying about 100 pesos less. I will not exchange at these rates, will rather visit the dark side....
Exactly! No way I'm exchanging at those rates either. It's over 700 to $1 US now. I'll just wait it out a few days until it adjusts. Crazy times.

I thought things were interesting after the correlito! That even felt more normal than these times. And I imagine the politicians now will blow things up even more and try to make a bigger mess for Milei. They will blow things up even more on the way out the door.

It's showing 720/730 now, up 15 pesos in the last 2 hours.

I had a brief conversation with a neighbour in the elevator, a middle class, eduicated porteño who speaks decent English. When I asked him, he said that he voted for Milei, commenting "In a crazy country, like this one, you need a crazy man".

It's showing 720/730 now, up 15 pesos in the last 2 hours.

I had a brief conversation with a neighbour in the elevator, a middle class, eduicated porteño who speaks decent English. When I asked him, he said that he voted for Milei, commenting "In a crazy country, like this one, you need a crazy man".
Honestly, it will take someone "crazy". Many of his ideas will never come to fruition. But I don't have any doubt he will be better for Argentina that previous presidents. Most Argentines acknowledge now how desperate they are and that without a fundamental change, their country will never change.

Things are going to get much worse before they get better. This will take a while but it will be an interesting ride.

It is interesting, to me, that here on Saturday night that the relationship between the blue dollar and W.U converstion is back to it's tradtional level.

It is interesting, to me, that here on Saturday night that the relationship between the blue dollar and W.U converstion is back to it's tradtional level.
Yeah I just think beyond that initial shock the day after the elections, things have settled. I actually find sometimes the Western Union rate is even higher than the posted blue rate. Doesn't last that long but for a while WU was ripping people off a few days after the election with really poor rates.

Went to WU (MVD/Cordoba) today 23/08 @ 14.00 hours the lines went out the door half a block on the sidewalk, perhaps an hour wait . The rate was $725 pesos..! a transfer contracted last Saturday.

Some of the Pagofacil outlets near me indicated they aren't paying WU lately...!
Tried Wise and was advised that for the moment they no longer send ARS pesos..!

Pray for the peso to become stable, otherwise more outfits may discontinue to service this location..!(Horror !)

Went to WU (MVD/Cordoba) today 23/08 @ 14.00 hours the lines went out the door half a block on the sidewalk, perhaps an hour wait . The rate was $725 pesos..! a transfer contracted last Saturday.

Some of the Pagofacil outlets near me indicated they aren't paying WU lately...!
Tried Wise and was advised that for the moment they no longer send ARS pesos..!

Pray for the peso to become stable, otherwise more outfits may discontinue to service this location..!(Horror !)
Ugly. I hope this doesn't happen.

On Friday I sent money for cash pickup, but as the WU branch I went did not have enough cash I had to wait until today. Exchange on Friday was 1 USD : 779 ARS. This morning it was 1:758 (20 ARS less per USD), but on payout they gave me 779 ARS 🥳. I wonder if that was always that way, that WU gives the exchange rate as it was the day the transfer was initiated and not the day of pickup?

On Friday I sent money for cash pickup, but as the WU branch I went did not have enough cash I had to wait until today. Exchange on Friday was 1 USD : 779 ARS. This morning it was 1:758 (20 ARS less per USD), but on payout they gave me 779 ARS 🥳. I wonder if that was always that way, that WU gives the exchange rate as it was the day the transfer was initiated and not the day of pickup?
You receive a fixed quote in pesos and are paid based on that amount, regardless of how long it takes or when you decide to pick up the money. There are no changes to the quote after it is issued and accepted.

> The actual exchange rate and your total amount will be determined at the time of payout
Not in Argentina, I guess. Perhaps, at other locations, they transfer dollars and perform the currency conversion on the spot.

A few weeks ago I checked to see how much WU was offering. I did this several times over two or three days. They sent me an email apologizing for problems with the system that included a special code for my next transfer without a fee. My transfer was completed the next day. That was the first time a transfer exceeded a million pesos. Glad that I don't pick up the transfer in cash.

You receive a fixed quote in pesos and are paid based on that amount, regardless of how long it takes or when you decide to pick up the money. There are no changes to the quote after it is issued and accepted.

> The actual exchange rate and your total amount will be determined at the time of payout
Not in Argentina, I guess. Perhaps, at other locations, they transfer dollars and perform the currency conversion on the spot.
This. It literally says right on the email how many pesos you will get. This doesn't change. It's FIXED and guaranteed at the time it's sent.

A few weeks ago I checked to see how much WU was offering. I did this several times over two or three days. They sent me an email apologizing for problems with the system that included a special code for my next transfer without a fee. My transfer was completed the next day. That was the first time a transfer exceeded a million pesos. Glad that I don't pick up the transfer in cash.
When you said, "glad I didn't pick up the transfer in cash". Do you mean it was just sent to your local bank account? I pick up those amounts all the time and never had any issues. 1,000,000 pesos sounds like a lot but it's only $1,350 US these days.. LOL.

Back