Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

what's the total cost? if credit cards are 1101-1134 this weekend, and WU is 1248, it would be super beneficial to use cash, annoying as it may be. what were the total fees?
I just sent myself $100 US worth of pesos. I got 124,800 pesos and I paid $5.99 fee so it cost $105.99 for those pesos. WU always charges me $5.99 to send $100 US or $8.99 to send $200 US but lately sometimes a whacky amount comes up first to send $200 like $17.99 and then I log out and log back in and it discounts it gain to $8.99 to send $200 so look at that. Normally $5.99 for $100 or $8.99 to send $200.

I just sent myself $100 US worth of pesos. I got 124,800 pesos and I paid $5.99 fee so it cost $105.99 for those pesos. WU always charges me $5.99 to send $100 US or $8.99 to send $200 US but lately sometimes a whacky amount comes up first to send $200 like $17.99 and then I log out and log back in and it discounts it gain to $8.99 to send $200 so look at that. Normally $5.99 for $100 or $8.99 to send $200.
I usually pay $5.99 to send $100 as well but today I was sending money to myself and they wanted $12.99 fee to send $100 so I didn't send. Is anyone else getting obscene transfer fees? The rate today was 1,248 to $1 US. I'm not going to pay that kind of fee though!

124,800 pesos and I paid $5.99 fee so it cost $105.99 for those pesos.
so 1177 ARS/Dollar, whereas 1141 yesterday for MasterCard credit (which means no carrying tons of bills, and includes getting airline miles or other points for spending on credit). so, the 3% extra from using cash may not be worth it for some people, unless they are getting a 10% efectivo discount which would make the trip to WU and the lugging-around with 13% more.
they wanted $12.99 fee to send $100 so I didn't send. Is anyone else getting obscene transfer fees? The rate today was 1,248 to $1 US.
weird...i still have an offer for free 1st transfer, so i might try that at WU to see if it still exists. i agree that $13 USD would be crazy for every 100 bucks sent

I usually pay $5.99 to send $100 as well but today I was sending money to myself and they wanted $12.99 fee to send $100 so I didn't send. Is anyone else getting obscene transfer fees? The rate today was 1,248 to $1 US. I'm not going to pay that kind of fee though!
Sometimes it will do that for me but I will completely log out of my account and then log back in and it's back to $5.99 fee to send $100 bucks.

so 1177 ARS/Dollar, whereas 1141 yesterday for MasterCard credit (which means no carrying tons of bills, and includes getting airline miles or other points for spending on credit). so, the 3% extra from using cash may not be worth it for some people, unless they are getting a 10% efectivo discount which would make the trip to WU and the lugging-around with 13% more.

weird...i still have an offer for free 1st transfer, so i might try that at WU to see if it still exists. i agree that $13 USD would be crazy for every 100 bucks sent
Yeah I pay cash many times as many places will give 10% cash discount. Sometimes it's 15%. I don't mind carrying around the cash if the discount is bigger. Today I got 1,232.05 pesos pesos to $1 US at Western Union.

Does anyone know if you can recall a Western Union if you made a mistake? I meant to send to myself and I sent to my sister in law who is not in town. Any way to cancel it? By the way the rate was still 1232.05 to $1 USD today.
Yes I did this a few months ago. You have to call into Western Union. I called a 800 toll free # and had to give them the transaction MTCN # and they said they would cancel it but it took about 14 days for me to see it back in my account. I got a refund back to my debit card. Of course if someone picks it up before you cancel it then you are hosed.

Yesterday I was watching WU in the morning and was surprised as the CCL/Blue/MEP rates were all down over 5% and when I looked to make my transfer I actually saw WU rate up to 1,292 to $1 US so I quickly made the transfer at 1:45 PM. Then later I saw it dropped to the rate you got @Jeb Spencer to where it still is today at 1243.73.

I'm not sure how all of these all relate as sometimes the rate shifts for no rhyme or reason.

I met a nice Uber driver that we used as a private driver several times and became friends with. She was from Venezuela. She was crying one day when she talked about her struggles. Amazing how hard the Venezuelans there are. Something amazing is almost every one that we got was from Venezuela and remarkable even though inflation was going up they applauded President Milei and said it was necessary to fix things.

I sent $100 USD to her today via WU. She didn't ask for it but she was surprised when I told her I wanted to do this. I got 1,239.50 pesos this morning sending to her.

Lately, I’ve noticed that the fees are a lot lower with MoneyGram if you’re sending to an Argentine bank account, and the rate is close to WU. Usually a little bit lower, but the much lower fees are worth it, and then you can just get cash from the ATM, cashier at Coto, etc…

Por ejemplo, WU to a bank account is 1239 today, but with a $17.99 fee, while MG is 1221, but only a $1.99 fee.

For a hypothetical U$120 sent, you get 1201 after fees with MoneyGram while WU is effectively 1078 after fees.

Last edited:
Lately, I’ve noticed that the fees are a lot lower with MoneyGram if you’re sending to an Argentine bank account, and the rate is close to WU. Usually a little bit lower, but the much lower fees are worth it, and then you can just get cash from the ATM, cashier at Coto, etc…

Por ejemplo, WU to a bank account is 1239 today, but with a $17.99 fee, while MG is 1221, but only a $1.99 fee.

For a hypothetical U$120 sent, you get 1201 after fees with MoneyGram while WU is effectively 1078 after fees.
Wow! $17.99 fee? How much are you sending @Darksider415? I sent $100 USD today via WU and I only paid $5.99 but it was a cash pick up. Have you tried Remitly? That seems to have really low fees but the exchange rate is less. My friend sent me that option as well but Western Union was very quick.

Wow! $17.99 fee? How much are you sending @Darksider415? I sent $100 USD today via WU and I only paid $5.99 but it was a cash pick up. Have you tried Remitly? That seems to have really low fees but the exchange rate is less. My friend sent me that option as well but Western Union was very quick.
That was for $120, as you can see in the example above.

Again, that's for deposit to a bank account, not cash pickup. I have accounts in Argentina, so I prefer doing that instead.

That was for $120, as you can see in the example above.

Again, that's for deposit to a bank account, not cash pickup. I have accounts in Argentina, so I prefer doing that instead.
Wow that is quite a difference to deposit into your bank account and picking up cash. Not sure it sounds worth it. My friend also uses Remitly to send to her local friend that has an account here but I'm not sure on rates, etc.

Back