Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

There are a lot of clueless posters on the old forum. This guy Wade K. is totally confused. That's the problem with that forum. People speak like they know what they are talking about and then get schooled. Ha. It's funny. He is speaking like he is an expert on the "official rate" when he has NO clue. It's so comical.

He will post WRONG non-factual info. He will get corrected. Then he will come back and be like yeah, XYZ, then people will say, "No you're wrong". Then he will come back over and over. Wrong. LOL. It's too funny.

You should learn how to use crypto and other stable coins to transfer funds. It's a great alternative.
I have a LOT to learn. I wish I got into bitcoin earlier! Is there any how to guides out there to learn about all of this stable coin stuff? Buying is very easy and I can figure that part out. Although I bought some on Coinbase a few months ago and got locked out of my account and was a hassle getting any live person on the phone. It's scary if you have a large amount of money in it.

Last edited:
I have a LOT to learn. I wish I got into bitcoin earlier! Is there any how to guides out there to learn about all of this stable coin stuff? Buying is very easy and I can figure that part out. Although I bought some on Coinbase a few months ago and got locked out of my account and was a hassle getting any live person on the phone. It's scary if you have a large amount of money in it.
Check this out. It's not too complicated.

My friend sends in stable coins to cuevas that just send them the address to send to. Obviously they will charge a commission.

Check this out. It's not too complicated.

My friend sends in stable coins to cuevas that just send them the address to send to. Obviously they will charge a commission.
Thank you! OK, so I send the stable coin to their address of the cueva. Easy enough. But I guess it has to be VERY reputable because I'm taking all the risk sending them first? What commission do you pay them?

Thank you! OK, so I send the stable coin to their address of the cueva. Easy enough. But I guess it has to be VERY reputable because I'm taking all the risk sending them first? What commission do you pay them?
Yes, they ALL charge a commission and it just depends on the particular day. It's all based on supply and demand and it changes just like the blue dollar rate. There isn't any set %. It can change based on supply and demand any given hour of the day. You will get a quote and I think it also depends on how much you are sending. Most don't like dealing with really small amounts.

I heard a rumor they were going to regulate Western Union transfers more for locals. Has anyone heard anymore details about this? I thought things would get easier under Milei but my neighbor who knows that I use WU often told me to be careful that they were limiting it soon?

I did a transfer a few days ago with no issues. Although I do miss those discount codes for the fees!

western union.jpg

You will get a quote
@Finance Prof and @Canada Goose here's a real-world quote for crypto:

current 'stablecoin' USDT (AKA: "Tether") is 224 USDT/BCH, so 224 USDT gets you 1.00000000 BCH on Binance (the wallet the Cueva guy uses)

with that, to get 5000 USD, he was asking me to send 23 BCH, so basically $376 USD in fees, or 7.52% from crypto to physical USD cash. compare that to these WesternUnion numbers, and ATMs, and maybe it will give a better option at times.

I guess it has to be VERY reputable because I'm taking all the risk sending them first
yes. do a small amount first, to test them. i haven't done one yet, but i'll post the results if i do. i would use someone that was referred to you by someone you have met in real-life (like earlyretirement's people, for a starter)

they could receive your crypto, put a knife in your face and tell you to get the f*ck out of their building. then those guys could vanish from that Cueva and you'd have very little recourse. i will be sending 100 bucks to start, then tell them next time is 500, then next is 2,000, then if i need to buy something big, 5,000 and hopefully i don't get screwed after that

yes. do a small amount first, to test them. i haven't done one yet, but i'll post the results if i do. i would use someone that was referred to you by someone you have met in real-life (like earlyretirement's people, for a starter)

they could receive your crypto, put a knife in your face and tell you to get the f*ck out of their building. then those guys could vanish from that Cueva and you'd have very little recourse. i will be sending 100 bucks to start, then tell them next time is 500, then next is 2,000, then if i need to buy something big, 5,000 and hopefully i don't get screwed after that
But do the cuevas hassle with that incredibly small amount? I would think they wouldn't want to hassle with that small of amounts. I' not sure how it is now but before they would't want to deal with that or tack on a surcharge or something.

Make sure to check your Western Union account. My last day there I sent some money to one of my friends there and I had a free transfer in my Western Union account. I used WU a few times but I paid about $5.99 for $100 transfer and $8.99 for $200 US transfer. But the last one was free. And my Novia just said that her mom sent one to herself from Spain and it also was free. Maybe some holiday promotion but check your accounts.

Make sure to check your Western Union account. My last day there I sent some money to one of my friends there and I had a free transfer in my Western Union account. I used WU a few times but I paid about $5.99 for $100 transfer and $8.99 for $200 US transfer. But the last one was free. And my Novia just said that her mom sent one to herself from Spain and it also was free. Maybe some holiday promotion but check your accounts.
Yes I was going to post about this. I was able to send 2 free transfers last night. One to myself and one to my friend. Never seen that before. Sometimes they had coupon codes but this was just fee free. The transfer fee said $0.

I have used Western Union many times for many countries including Argentina and especially Brazil where I live now. Always worked like a charm. Now today I see this post about the free transfer so I tried to send to my friend for a Christmas gift and it won't go through. Anyone have any advice? I was using Safari but changed to Chrome and same issue. Cleared my history and emptied the cache. I tried to change the bank from my Chase to my Wells Fargo. Still won't work. I normally don't pay with credit card as it's a cash advance fee when you pay with credit card but I tried that too with no success.

I tried to call WU but I can't get a live person on the phone! My bank said they don't see WU tried to charge it. Anyone have this happen to them?

It seems like I'm in a black hole!

I have used Western Union many times for many countries including Argentina and especially Brazil where I live now. Always worked like a charm. Now today I see this post about the free transfer so I tried to send to my friend for a Christmas gift and it won't go through. Anyone have any advice? I was using Safari but changed to Chrome and same issue. Cleared my history and emptied the cache. I tried to change the bank from my Chase to my Wells Fargo. Still won't work. I normally don't pay with credit card as it's a cash advance fee when you pay with credit card but I tried that too with no success.

I tried to call WU but I can't get a live person on the phone! My bank said they don't see WU tried to charge it. Anyone have this happen to them?

This happened to me before. I'm not sure but WU was useless! Just delete your account and start all over. Or make up a new account with a new email address. That worked for me. You will lose your account history but not sure if you need that. It's the only thing that worked for me. Good luck!

Thank you! I just tried it today and sent myself $300 US worth of pesos! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Have you hit your limit for the year? It's a HUGE limit so not sure this would be applicable to you. But a friend of mine that sends a ton of money for work had the same thing happen and it was because they hit their limit.

Have you hit your limit for the year? It's a HUGE limit so not sure this would be applicable to you. But a friend of mine that sends a ton of money for work had the same thing happen and it was because they hit their limit.

I wish! No, I've not sent anywhere near $50,000 thus year. Maybe around $15,000 USD total and I haven't sent to Argentina for a long time. Just seeing this forum made me remember the good times in BA. I haven't been there in a few years but just contacted a female friend and wished her Merry Christmas and of course she asked if I had a "regalo" for her. I'm a sucker for a girl with a young kid!

Yes it worked for me yesterday too. FREE is nice surprise.

Back