Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

MEP: $1,116 (My girlfriend's card charged at $1,032 today).
Friday 05Jan should have been 1104 if you check https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar-mep.html - so pretty close. and expected to lose 6.1% or so to the bank on top of that.

what i find most compelling about cryptocurrency is the ability to supplant expensive services like remittance and Western Union. i remember my Ugandan and Kenyan co-workers a few jobs ago would make $300 USD a month and send back money to their family for a fee of $30 USD. i was so mind-blown that there was such insecurity and no other route to send money, so they were willing to lose 10% on the job that they worked 6 days a week, 12 hour days in Iraq, for 11 months a year, and essentially were donating 10% to WU. and South American remittances are going up ten percent yearly!

of note for those with USA credit cards with no foreign transaction fees, today's rate (Sat 13Jan2024 as of 11am) the Visa real-world rate is 1017.59 ARS/Dollar

so if you're getting 1135, it might not be that beneficial to carry around huge stacks of cash (unless you're getting a sweet +10% efectivo discount), but if you're getting 1159 it could be worth it. note that the Blue Dollar is showing 1070/1120 compared to WU and MEP.

Yep. I've always maintained that I think the blue rate will go back up after the end of this month. No one knows for sure but at the end of the year people always need more pesos. It will be interesting to see but I'd guess the blue dollar will start going up.
Gap is wideing.

Back