Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer What are the most interesting aspects of Argentine culture for you?

amanda8

I’m always interested in hearing what others think about it, as the topic is so broad and there must be many different reasons for everyone. Plus, there’s something special that has drawn so many people to this beautiful country.

I very much enjoy the opera and cultural activities. Buenos Aires has so many great activities but I especially enjoy the Opera. Teatro Colon is magnificent! I love how cosmopolitan the city is. Each neighborhood feels different and special to me. City has so much energy and life.

It was my curiosity for tango that first brought me to Buenos Aires. I don't live there but every time I come back for a visit I fall in love with the city all over again. The music fills my soul! There is always life and even if the economy is bad, people try not to let that discourage them from enjoying life. It is a beautiful city and feels very European to me. People are friendly and the city is safe.

I fell in love with Argentina on my very first visit right after the corralito. What a beautiful city Buenos Aires is and what a gorgeous country Argentina is. There were so many different things about it that I loved. I couldn't describe it to friends in just words. I loved a lot of different things about the city.

The fashion, sense of style, the architecture, the food, the beautiful women (I was a bachelor when I first came down to Buenos Aires so I think I was falling in love every few days. :love::giggle:.

Something that I really loved was the zest for life there and the energy of the people and the city. In the United States for many senior citizens an exciting night is ordering a pizza after 9 PM. But I was amazed that I could go to La Biela Cafe at 1 AM and it would be full of senior citizens drinking expressos and enjoying life. I thought to myself, now this is an amazing city.

After the corralito, I was one of the first international investors that saw the big potential for a recovery of the real estate market. Everyone told me I was absolutely crazy but I gave my hypothesis why Argentina was going to rebound. I started buying up as much real estate in Recoleta and Palermo as I could. I saw a lot of potential for the country and it makes me feel proud that what I forecasted came true.

I will always love Argentina and I'm proud to be a 20+ year permanent resident of the country. I got married there and 2 of my children were born there. I plan to retire there in the future and I love the country as much if not more than I love my own country (USA).

There are so many things to love about the city but to me, it's always the energy of the city and the ability of the citizens there to never give up and forge ahead even during tough times.

I fell in love with Argentina on my very first visit right after the corralito. What a beautiful city Buenos Aires is and what a gorgeous country Argentina is. There were so many different things about it that I loved. I couldn't describe it to friends in just words. I loved a lot of different things about the city.

The fashion, sense of style, the architecture, the food, the beautiful women (I was a bachelor when I first came down to Buenos Aires so I think I was falling in love every few days. :love::giggle:.

Something that I really loved was the zest for life there and the energy of the people and the city. In the United States for many senior citizens an exciting night is ordering a pizza after 9 PM. But I was amazed that I could go to La Biela Cafe at 1 AM and it would be full of senior citizens drinking expressos and enjoying life. I thought to myself, now this is an amazing city.

After the corralito, I was one of the first international investors that saw the big potential for a recovery of the real estate market. Everyone told me I was absolutely crazy but I gave my hypothesis why Argentina was going to rebound. I started buying up as much real estate in Recoleta and Palermo as I could. I saw a lot of potential for the country and it makes me feel proud that what I forecasted came true.

I will always love Argentina and I'm proud to be a 20+ year permanent resident of the country. I got married there and 2 of my children were born there. I plan to retire there in the future and I love the country as much if not more than I love my own country (USA).

There are so many things to love about the city but to me, it's always the energy of the city and the ability of the citizens there to never give up and forge ahead even during tough times.
This was how it was for me. I loved all of these things you are describing and I also moved here because it was more affordable vs. the USA where I am from. I love the fact that I didn't need a car here at all. I've never gone my entire adult life without a car and in Buenos Aires was the first time and I loved it.

I downsized from a big house to a 2 bedroom apartment and much prefer it. Less to maintain makes for a much higher quality of life in my opinion. I found that more stuff = more problems = more expenses. I was buying things I didn't need in the States. I would order on Amazon everyday. Here in BA, I rarely find the need to buy things I don't need.

Although I lived alone, I would go to Costco for many things. Now I mostly shop by the day and don't waste anything. I don't have as much space which forces me to really think about things and prioritize. I laugh when I think of all the junk that I stored in my garage and I even had a storage unit. We have alot of junk in the USA that we don't need. No one here does that.

Here in BA there is always something to do. Many museums, parks, concerts, Opera, theatres and markets and fairs on the weekends. There is some beautiful architecture here as well. Sometimes just walking around and enjoying that is nice. There is something for everyone here.

I love the positive spirit of celebration and open-mindedness that Argentinians generally have. It's a country where anyone can easily adapt because the locals are very hospitable and supportive, always willing to help. That's not something you find in many countries. Despite the current economic difficulties, it's an accessible country. It's true what they say about Argentinians, they always have the strength to overcome difficult situations. I admire that a lot.

You never get bored here; there are always cultural events, whether free or not, theater shows, fairs, museums... there's always something to do. I really like the landscapes and the architecture, and I enjoy going for bike rides, something I didn't do in my country. I also love soccer, and here it's enjoyed with great passion. I'm very happy living here.

You never get bored here; there are always cultural events, whether free or not, theater shows, fairs, museums... there's always something to do. I really like the landscapes and the architecture, and I enjoy going for bike rides, something I didn't do in my country. I also love soccer, and here it's enjoyed with great passion. I'm very happy living here.
All great points on this thread. I agree with all of them. I should point out it's also a great place to raise children. Back in the States, parents don't have as much interaction with their kids. A very family-oriented city. There is always something to see or do here.

BA one of the best cities in the world for metropolitan cities. Many events and always things to do. Great neighborhoods. Still safe and affordable.

Back