Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer What aspects of Buenos Aires are unexpected to you?

Mayor

I've been here for three days out of my eight-day stay, and a few things have caught me by surprise:
  1. There have been periods of high wind every day.
  2. I've noticed odd videos of people wearing earphones in various apartment building lobbies. I wonder who these people are and if they are being held for ransom.
  3. I've observed channels cut into the street and sidewalk to carry rainwater, creating perfect tripping hazards.
  4. Those really thin versions of medialunas are quite interesting.
  5. There is a significant amount of construction happening in Palermo.
  6. Most people I've encountered have been friendly and open so far.

Welcome! The channels cut into streets and sidewalks to carry rainwater, creating perfect tripping hazards, are not unique to Buenos Aires, they can be found in various cities and countries.

Indeed, you're correct; I've encountered challenges in various places around the world.

Adding to the surprises, the electrical outlets posed another hurdle. Despite bringing a European adapter, I discovered that it wasn't suitable. As a result, I've unintentionally started a collection of plug adapters.

Oh! I'm deliberating on whether to stay in Palermo in March. Would you advise against it due to the ongoing construction?

Three aspects of Buenos Aires consistently leave me astonished:

Firstly, the relatively low frequency of bus accidents never ceases to amaze me. The way these buses zoom through traffic, especially in the designated bus lanes, where the room for error seems close to nonexistent, is truly remarkable. Our driver tonight on the 39 treated the bus as if it were a Maserati, resulting in a thrilling yet speedy journey.

Secondly, the sheer abundance of cafes, bakeries, and confectioneries in comparison to the population is a constant source of surprise. I often find myself pondering the economic dynamics that sustain such a large army of coffee and pastry vendors.

Lastly, the appearance of Kentucky restaurants always catches me off guard. Associating Kentucky with pizza is the last thing I'd expect, and every time I see that prominent red neon sign, I brace myself for on-the-bone fried chicken cravings, which I can't seem to shake off!

Palermo is a sizable area, and the experience can vary significantly depending on the specific block.

I believe it would be ideal to preserve the blend of historic mansions and modernized high-rises. Personally, I enjoyed the somewhat upscale atmosphere, and the presence of splendid trees added to its charm.

Another unexpected aspect: the electrical sockets! Despite bringing a European adapter, I quickly realized it was not the right fit. Consequently, I've unintentionally started amassing a collection of plug adapters.
Many people typically conduct a swift Google search to verify the appropriate plugs before embarking on their travels.
In Argentina, the standard plug is most commonly of Australian type I. Some accommodations, including hotels and hostels, may also feature type C powerpoints with two round holes. Occasionally, American chains such as Holiday Inn might provide one American powerpoint.
It's crucial to note that the standard voltage in Argentina is 220 V, significantly higher than the 120 V your devices are likely accustomed to in the United States. Without a converter, there's a risk of severe damage to your devices. Keep in mind that the frequency in Argentina also differs.
In essence, electronic devices like iPhones and laptops from the U.S. should be fine, but items that generate heat, such as hairdryers (unless they are dual voltage), should not be plugged into 220V powerpoints to avoid potential damage.

Welcome back...
Another unexpected aspect: the electrical sockets! Despite bringing a European adapter, I quickly realized it was not the right fit. Consequently, I've unintentionally started amassing a collection of plug adapters.

If that suits your preferences, go ahead and do it.

I opt for bringing something like this when I travel. So far, it has proven to be highly effective in the places I've visited. Since my new phone utilizes USB C, I plan to upgrade my universal adapter soon, once the desired model is released.

https://www.skross.com/en/products/muv-usb

Additionally, here's another link for you. If you anticipate more travel, consider organizing a folder or bookmarking sites in one location. It makes it much more convenient to find and use when planning visits to different places.

https://www.iec.ch/world-plugs

It's essential to note that there are standardized plugs used by countries worldwide, and this is one of them.

Good luck!

Skross, who are Swiss based, make the best electric plug adapters and cables in the market. Good quality and a decent price.

Available in most airport stores

Three aspects of Buenos Aires consistently leave me astonished:

Firstly, the relatively low frequency of bus accidents never ceases to amaze me. The way these buses zoom through traffic, especially in the designated bus lanes, where the room for error seems close to nonexistent, is truly remarkable. Our driver tonight on the 39 treated the bus as if it were a Maserati, resulting in a thrilling yet speedy journey.

Secondly, the sheer abundance of cafes, bakeries, and confectioneries in comparison to the population is a constant source of surprise. I often find myself pondering the economic dynamics that sustain such a large army of coffee and pastry vendors.

Lastly, the appearance of Kentucky restaurants always catches me off guard. Associating Kentucky with pizza is the last thing I'd expect, and every time I see that prominent red neon sign, I brace myself for on-the-bone fried chicken cravings, which I can't seem to shake off!
Is true there should be more bus accidents but those drivers are very skilled. I live here all my life and never see a bus accident which is small miracle.

I didn't notice any gutter issues. It's intriguing that people have to wave at a bus for it to stop. In two places in Buenos Aires and Uruguay, I found North American outlets conveniently located by the bed. Although I had plugs that were supposed to fit in Argentina and Uruguay, I discovered that sometimes they use the small three-round plug instead of the two-prong or three-angle ones. Just a heads up in case you go to Colonia.
I was in Retiro and found a really nice cafe that was affordable. However, ice cream was expensive. The service was great and friendly. Crossing the street could be awkward as some corners did not have walk signs on traffic lights. I only experienced wind one day. I was most surprised by how friendly the people were. I did not find that on my first visit, but then I knew less Spanish at the time.
Oh, the taxi scenario at the Buquebus terminal in Buenos Aires on arrival is terrible.

Issues: It's intriguing that people have to signal to the bus for it to stop.

In my experiences living in every state of Australia, two states in the United States, and multiple locations around the UK, it has been a common practice to signal to the bus for it to stop. This is especially true at stops where multiple bus routes may pass, and signaling is a way to ensure you catch the specific bus route you want.

What has surprised me:

• The abundance of dogs. The locals seem to be crazy about them; it feels like everyone has one or more.
  • The overall peace and laid-back attitude of the locals. In my two months here, I've hardly witnessed any notable conflicts or rudeness.
  • The chaotic nature of traffic. Cars don't adhere to their lanes, and they tend to get very close to each other at high speeds. Additionally, many cars appear to be somewhat beat up.
  • The significance of music, especially live performances, in people's lives. It's common to see many sporting 80s/90s band shirts.
  • The challenge of finding genuinely spicy food. I have yet to come across a good Thai curry.
  • In a slight contradiction to my second point: People here use food names as insults. I've heard/read individuals calling each other a salami or a potato.

Back