Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What happens if Argentina gets too expensive? What are alternative cities/countries to move to when it's overpriced in Argentina?

Things are definitely getting more expensive. Since Milei got elected, inflation is about 60% (1% a day). The blue dollar is only up around 30%.

I am definitely poorer now and the blue value is still going down.
Exactly. Here is a Tik Tok I watched in 2022. You can see the prices in US Dollars for a meal for 2 people. Look now what the same meal is. Here it was only $6 USD.

Australia
aaaaaaand just like that, Australia goes down another notch

and

@Larry please go away, no one cares about you and Avocado brigading this Expat forum and constantly posting about how ARGENTINA BAD NOW BECAUSE OF MILEI

no one cares, no one likes your posts, you might as well be a Peronist bot - at least then we'd be able to get it to say something funny once in a while. with you, it's just complaining and political shilling

go post your stupid sh*t somewhere else, and stop wasting everyone's time

aaaaaaand just like that, Australia goes down another notch

and

@Larry please go away, no one cares about you and Avocado brigading this Expat forum and constantly posting about how ARGENTINA BAD NOW BECAUSE OF MILEI

no one cares, no one likes your posts, you might as well be a Peronist bot - at least then we'd be able to get it to say something funny once in a while. with you, it's just complaining and political shilling

go post your stupid sh*t somewhere else, and stop wasting everyone's time

Don Julio is still a robbery. Totally not worth those prices. My local friends all stopped going there and they make fun of the tourists paying those prices now.

Totally correct - there are good parrillas where steaks are between 20 and 25USD / the quality is as good as Don Julio
Yes you can easily get good steaks in Buenos Aires for 18,000 -25,000 pesos still. I see this post today and you can see prices. More expensive vs. last year but I go to United States last year and eat steak with my daughter. More expensive than Don Julio. Some places $100 USD for one steak. I told my daughter better we eat no more steak in US as I would get sick paying those prices.

Totally correct - there are good parrillas where steaks are between 20 and 25USD / the quality is as good as Don Julio
They do have great quality steaks there but prices are way too expensive for Buenos Aires. I've eaten there hundreds of times over the past 22 years but mostly before it got too popular with social media. I DO like the steaks there and probably would still go even with the higher prices for special occasions but it's not worth waiting in line or having to book far ahead of time. I will still go to places that are expensive in Buenos Aires but not one that I have to book far ahead of time.

They do have great quality steaks there but prices are way too expensive for Buenos Aires. I've eaten there hundreds of times over the past 22 years but mostly before it got too popular with social media. I DO like the steaks there and probably would still go even with the higher prices for special occasions but it's not worth waiting in line or having to book far ahead of time. I will still go to places that are expensive in Buenos Aires but not one that I have to book far ahead of time.
I only go for special occasions. Once a year type of place to celebrate my birthday is ok and you're right we have to book far ahead of time. Amazed it is still so busy with the poor economy but the last few times I walked by it was 100% tourists and probably the same price or maybe even cheaper than back home.

I only go for special occasions. Once a year type of place to celebrate my birthday is ok and you're right we have to book far ahead of time. Amazed it is still so busy with the poor economy but the last few times I walked by it was 100% tourists and probably the same price or maybe even cheaper than back home.
We visited Don Julio and had a very good meal. Was not cheap but typical of what we would pay in a nice steakhouse here in the USA. We were expecting something better based on the long line and the need to book far ahead of time. We had many fine meals in BA. None with long lines like this.

The real deal is to make friends with someone that knows how to make a good Asado. The experience beats by far anything you can get on an up-scale restaurant or 'bodegon'. 😋
And it is not just the food. The entire experience can't be described. It is a very authentic experience that one can't describe. Everything tastes better because of the environment. Once you can get invited to one of these, odds are you will make some friendships and get invited again.

Yes very true. Any local authentic asado is much better than Don Julio or any restaurant. That is an unbeatable experience for people.
I can totally tell you this is true. I made my first trip to Buenos Aires last year and was lucky enough to get invited my first night in town to an asado! I was in town 10 days and had 2 Asados and it was the most special thing I've ever experienced. I was with @earlyretirement and @Lucho and they had a professional chef come and cook for all their friends. I am excited to come back to BA later this year to take possession of my new apartment. I want to go to another Asado!

Your wife?? Did you get married recently (and not invite us lol), IIRC you met a local as your gf but didn't know it progressed to wifey so soon.
No I put novia! Not sure how wife came up. Maybe my novia changed autocorrect novia for wife! Things are going good but not THAT good! Although she IS wifey material and maybe that would solve my DNI issues!

The real deal is to make friends with someone that knows how to make a good Asado. The experience beats by far anything you can get on an up-scale restaurant or 'bodegon'. 😋
Spot on target! I still remember the first asado that I got invited to over 2 decades ago in Buenos Aires. It was one of the things that made me fall in love with Buenos Aires. I've visited almost 600 cities around 85 countries but I have yet to find the bond and love of food and friends that one will experience in an authentic Argentine Asado amongst friends.

Every time I travel to Buenos Aires with a friend or client, I always make sure they get a chance to experience an authentic Asado and they also fall in love with the country.

I can totally tell you this is true. I made my first trip to Buenos Aires last year and was lucky enough to get invited my first night in town to an asado! I was in town 10 days and had 2 Asados and it was the most special thing I've ever experienced. I was with @earlyretirement and @Lucho and they had a professional chef come and cook for all their friends. I am excited to come back to BA later this year to take possession of my new apartment. I want to go to another Asado!
It was great to introduce you to your first Asado @Johnny. As you saw, my friends became your friends and that will be the first of many. Can't wait to see you later this year back in Buenos Aires. We will arrange another Asado.

Also, there is much talk of Buenos Aires getting too expensive. I think much of where you decide to make your "home" has to have more factored into it vs. just being a cheap place. I've traveled to a lot of places around the world myself and also with my family. The place where you call home you should really enjoy spending time in. I never fell in love because it was just a cheap place that was affordable. All the reasons why I first fell in love with the city still come into play. I realize many people have to live in a place they can afford, but you have to be careful in only looking at dollars and cents.

Buenos Aires is a very special place full of wonderful people. I think about the brutal conditions of when I first was there and after I moved there after the corralito. People got over tough times and they will again. It's this ability to be so resilient that makes me love the country so much. As I read various posts on this forum. Some for anti-Milei and some pro-Milei, one thing we ALL have in common is our true love and passion for Argentina and we all want to see the best for this country.

Spot on target! I still remember the first asado that I got invited to over 2 decades ago in Buenos Aires. It was one of the things that made me fall in love with Buenos Aires. I've visited almost 600 cities around 85 countries but I have yet to find the bond and love of food and friends that one will experience in an authentic Argentine Asado amongst friends.

Every time I travel to Buenos Aires with a friend or client, I always make sure they get a chance to experience an authentic Asado and they also fall in love with the country.

It was great to introduce you to your first Asado @Johnny. As you saw, my friends became your friends and that will be the first of many. Can't wait to see you later this year back in Buenos Aires. We will arrange another Asado.

Also, there is much talk of Buenos Aires getting too expensive. I think much of where you decide to make your "home" has to have more factored into it vs. just being a cheap place. I've traveled to a lot of places around the world myself and also with my family. The place where you call home you should really enjoy spending time in. I never fell in love because it was just a cheap place that was affordable. All the reasons why I first fell in love with the city still come into play. I realize many people have to live in a place they can afford, but you have to be careful in only looking at dollars and cents.

Buenos Aires is a very special place full of wonderful people. I think about the brutal conditions of when I first was there and after I moved there after the corralito. People got over tough times and they will again. It's this ability to be so resilient that makes me love the country so much. As I read various posts on this forum. Some for anti-Milei and some pro-Milei, one thing we ALL have in common is our true love and passion for Argentina and we all want to see the best for this country.
I wholeheartedly agree with you @earlyretirement! I have posted similar thoughts before. Life is short and it would be miserable just to select a city based on how cheap it is. I think if people want to live here for the long term they should do all they can to be able to survive here over the long haul. Once I knew I wanted to live here for the long-term I got my permanent residency and I also bought a place. I didn't care if the value went up or down. I just wanted to lock in my own place. Inflation IS brutal and tough but honestly I set myself up so I don't really get stuck and can afford to live here for the long haul.

My major expense is health insurance but so far all the other monthly expenses are a fraction of what I was paying in the States.

I wholeheartedly agree with you @earlyretirement! I have posted similar thoughts before. Life is short and it would be miserable just to select a city based on how cheap it is. I think if people want to live here for the long term they should do all they can to be able to survive here over the long haul. Once I knew I wanted to live here for the long-term I got my permanent residency and I also bought a place. I didn't care if the value went up or down. I just wanted to lock in my own place. Inflation IS brutal and tough but honestly I set myself up so I don't really get stuck and can afford to live here for the long haul.

My major expense is health insurance but so far all the other monthly expenses are a fraction of what I was paying in the States.
That is the difference here in Argentina vs the United States. Many of my American friends mainly think of their house as an investment. Here all my friends look at our homes as a place to live not only now but also the future.

Back