Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What is the best Steak to order in Argentine restaurant?

Ah the age old question! You will get a different answer from different people. It's hard to go wrong and it's good to try different cuts. The most popular that you will see most people ordering are:

Bife de Lomo (Tenderloin)
Bife de Costilla con Lomo (TBone)
Asado de Tira (Short ribs)
Entraña (Skirt steak)
Ojo de Bife (Rib eye)
Vacio (Flank)
Bife Angosto (Striploin)

All are delicious but different.
We ordered several types of steaks in Buenos Aires. I'd highly recommend Don Julio even though it was expensive by local standards. We tried the Short ribs, rib eye and Tenderloin there and all were delicious. Portions were very big but the sides were also very good there.

You aren't crazy. Everytime I got to Dallas to visit friends or for work, I try a new steakhouse and most of the places there like Bob's Chophouse taste better to me. They are expensive. Argentina used to have better steaks when they were grass-fed but besides a few places I think the quality has gone down hill over the years except at very expensive places like Don Julio which is good but expensive.
Go to a good carniceria like 'RES' and buy a rib-eye, cook it in a pan a couple of minutes on each side... bam! premium rib-eye for 5 US$.

As I mentioned in the previous comment, better to cook it yourself or make friends with someone who knows how to make a good asado. 'Bodegones' are tricky, (I heard that one called 'El Ferroviario' is good) but that doesn't mean that the quality of meat in Argentina got worse, you can get grass-fed cuts on almost every carniceria.

As I mentioned in the previous comment, better to cook it yourself or make friends with someone who knows how to make a good asado. 'Bodegones' are tricky, (I heard that one called 'El Ferroviario' is good) but that doesn't mean that the quality of meat in Argentina got worse, you can get grass-fed cuts on almost every carniceria.
I've found some places are hit or miss. The quality of the beef in many places is really different. Some are good but some are blah.

We went to Don Julio during our vacation and it was excellent but it was also very expensive! We went to a very local place with almost no tourists. It was called La Choza de Gascon near Palermo Soho. Very affordable and it was good. Not as good as Don Julio but was a fraction of the price.

I've found some places are hit or miss. The quality of the beef in many places is really different. Some are good but some are blah.
Yeah, I went to a very popular bodegon called "Parrilla Pena" a month ago and it was overpriced and the bife de chorizo was really bad. The thing with meat is that it needs to be slowly cooked and these overcrowded bodegones tend to cook things fast.

Yeah, I went to a very popular bodegon called "Parrilla Pena" a month ago and it was overpriced and the bife de chorizo was really bad. The thing with meat is that it needs to be slowly cooked and these overcrowded bodegones tend to cook things fast.
You nailed it. That place used to be good but they seem overpriced now and in a rush. If they rush it and cook on too high a temperature it changes the taste and texture. My issue is a lot of bodegones cook things really fast now and in a rush.

I'm still planning on coming to Buenos Aires in July. What is the best cut of steak to order at a restaurant? I'm coming with a friend that loves steaks but I heard the cuts of steak there are different vs. the US?

Thanks.
I would recommend something like this:
The Asado Experience

Looks like they know that they are doing, and the experience of a real asado in someone's house is so much better than eating a single meat cut in a restaurant pay the check and go... is that homey feeling, the smell of the firewood, the wine pairing and the conversation that makes the difference.

The Asado Experience

Looks like they know that they are doing, and the experience of a real asado in someone's house is so much better than eating a single meat cut in a restaurant pay the check and go... is that homey feeling, the smell of the firewood, the wine pairing and the conversation that makes the difference.
Yes @enbits they do a great job! My sister went to that with her friends when she visited me and raved about it. She found it on TripAdvisor and told me was one of her best meals. She went to Don Julio too but told me the experience was better at the Asado Experience. She paid $150 USD per person and she said there was a lot of food but she enjoyed the experience.

We always have asados every week at my in-laws but they were traveling in Miami that weekend so we didn't have one. But she loved it.

El Ferroviario is in Liniers, not the nicest area; from my place it's a 40 minute Uber/taxi ride. I heard from acquaintances that before the pandemic the food and service was very good, not anymore. The place gets very noisy, the service now is very slow, prices are high, quality of meat not as good. When I checked their reviews on Google, I saw photos of very appetizing food and what looks like large portions, though, so who knows. In any case, I'll pass.
That is a long haul from where most tourists or expats are staying. I've been there before and good but not typically in that area. As @Sunny mentioned it is hike out to and back.

The Asado Experience

I know several people that went here and enjoyed it. NO restaurant can compare to an authentic asado. None. I've never had to pay for an experience like this because typically I always have friends that are inviting me each week so it's crazy but sometimes I'll go to an asado 2-3 times in a week when I'm in town.

An authentic asado is an essential experience in Argentina.

Ah the age old question! You will get a different answer from different people. It's hard to go wrong and it's good to try different cuts. The most popular that you will see most people ordering are:

Bife de Lomo (Tenderloin)
Bife de Costilla con Lomo (TBone)
Asado de Tira (Short ribs)
Entraña (Skirt steak)
Ojo de Bife (Rib eye)
Vacio (Flank)
Bife Angosto (Striploin)

All are delicious but different.
Try getting Asado del Centro. That is the absolute best to me.

This place Parilla Peña is still good. What I notice is more tourists now. I think when a place gets too touristy the quality go down. Food come out faster and sometimes they in too big of a hurry to get food out. It was better before. But best thing is food prices still reasonable. I go last month with my cousin and you can see food prices not too expensive compared to some places.

They charge for cubierto but gave empanadas. Ojo de Bife was 26,000 pesos ($22 USD). Bife de chorizo 16,000 pesos ($13 USD).

Parilla Pena with paulina.jpg

Wow thank you everyone! This is the absolute best forum on Buenos Aires. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. Thank you!!

Also, thank you @Pobre Luis for posting that receipt. Wow that is still very affordable compared to the US. Portions must be huge if 6 people are sharing only 2 steaks.

Nothing like Asado de Tira for the flavor! I think Argentine steaks beat out steaks in the US any day of the week.
My favorite is Asado de tira. I never can get the flavor of that anywhere else besides Argentina! Just delicious!
That is my favorite cut as well. I love asado de tira or Asado de centro. Really delicious flavor. But then again I love all the cuts of beef. When my friends throw me an Asado we probably have about 8 -10 cuts of beef each and every time. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Back