Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Where do you buy or sell your USD?

Oatmeal

A question for you all on where you get the best rate (to market) from your USD? I have exchanged USD from supermarkets in Barrio Chino. I have transferred USD to Western Union to get local pesos. However, where is one able to buy USD? Ideally from Transfer from US bank account or USDT via crypto exchange/wallet. Is this even possible? The reason is if I need to have large amount of USD for a potential prepayment on an apartment or car, I would like to know where I can get USD safely. Thank you.

A question for you all on where you get the best rate (to market) from your USD? I have exchanged USD from supermarkets in Barrio Chino. I have transferred USD to Western Union to get local pesos. However, where is one able to buy USD? Ideally from Transfer from US bank account or USDT via crypto exchange/wallet. Is this even possible? The reason is if I need to have large amount of USD for a potential prepayment on an apartment or car, I would like to know where I can get USD safely. Thank you.
You have to use a local cueva or private money exchange firm. PM me. I have a great one that I've used for about 20 years. Very ethical and he has a small office in Recoleta. There IS trust involved as wire transfers you have to wire first and then they confirm and will give you the cash in their office. However, if you do USDT they should be able to do it immediately. I don't use USDT. I just always do bank wire or Zelle but I've been using him for years and all my clients use him as well.

That would be the way to do it. They all charge a fixed % that fluctuates but around 3.5 to 4.5% or so. It's really the only way to go when needing larger amounts of USD down there and the most efficient as well.

I didn’t know when I moved here about the Cuevas so I was sending to Western Union and getting pesos and then going to buy dollars at the exchange houses but I was losing too much.

My Airbnb owner introduced me to her contact and I have been using them. But there is a trust factor involved. I wire to their US account and then typically the next day I pick up dollars. I pay about 5% fee to do this.

I was nervous the first few times but I pay my rent every month in dollars. My apartment doesn’t have a safe and I don’t like sending too much at one time. It works out.

Once you move here you will see everyone has a cueva contact.

You have to use a local cueva or private money exchange firm. PM me. I have a great one that I've used for about 20 years. Very ethical and he has a small office in Recoleta. There IS trust involved as wire transfers you have to wire first and then they confirm and will give you the cash in their office. However, if you do USDT they should be able to do it immediately. I don't use USDT. I just always do bank wire or Zelle but I've been using him for years and all my clients use him as well.

That would be the way to do it. They all charge a fixed % that fluctuates but around 3.5 to 4.5% or so. It's really the only way to go when needing larger amounts of USD down there and the most efficient as well.
Thank you for the details. I will PM you for the contact.

Back