Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Which phone do you usually use?

We've been using Apple devices, such as iPhones and other Apple products, during our 11 years of living on and off in Buenos Aires, and have never experienced a phone theft. Pickpockets are present in every major city, so it's essential to stay vigilant. In Buenos Aires, there's nothing particularly distinctive about pickpocketing compared to other cities. Avoid drawing unnecessary attention by displaying valuable items like gold, expensive watches, or large cameras, and stay aware of your surroundings to minimize the risk of theft.

I have NEVER had any issues using any phone in Buenos Aires. I have had the latest iPhone since it came out. The only time when someone tried to steal my phone was right after the corralito. I had a Blackberry and they recently came out. I was always on that think working. And one day at a crosswalk, while I wasn't paying attention. A thief on a motorcycle tried to grab it but he missed.

Since then, I just am aware at street closings. I have had MANY employees get their phones stolen (cheap ones and expensive iPhones) mostly on the Subway or at a bar if they aren't paying attention and leave it on the table in a big group.

Back