Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Will the locals in Buenos Aires turn on expats or foreigners if the economy gets very bad with hyperinflation

ArtmikeGG

In 2001, during the economic crisis, factors such as Airbnb and the digital nomad trend, where individuals earn in dollars benefiting from exchange rates, were not as prevalent. Over the 15 years of visiting Buenos Aires, there's a perceived change in sentiment, particularly in San Telmo, with an emerging notion that the neighborhood should prioritize locals over tourists. This shift has given rise to what seems like an increased anti-American sentiment, which is something not sensed to this degree in previous visits.

While the likelihood of physical harm to Europeans and Americans in the streets is low, there's a noticeable rise in anti-expat sentiment in Latin America. This sentiment is less pronounced in Argentina due to the country's need for foreign currency. The term "expat" is viewed differently, and considering oneself an immigrant or future citizen might influence this perception. Those visibly enjoying a lavish lifestyle, frequenting high-end places like Don Julio, using the latest technology, and expressing how inexpensive everything is might encounter negative reactions. This sentiment is particularly directed towards those treating Argentina as a temporary stop before moving on to other countries. Given the challenging circumstances for many locals, such reactions could be seen as justified.

I've resided in San Telmo for two decades, and I haven't observed the anti-foreigner sentiment you mentioned. Are there specific actions or behaviors that might be causing any negative reactions from the locals?
In 2001, during the economic crisis, factors such as Airbnb and the digital nomad trend, where individuals earn in dollars benefiting from exchange rates, were not as prevalent. Over the 15 years of visiting Buenos Aires, there's a perceived change in sentiment, particularly in San Telmo, with an emerging notion that the neighborhood should prioritize locals over tourists. This shift has given rise to what seems like an increased anti-American sentiment, which is something not sensed to this degree in previous visits.

I've resided in Argentina for numerous years, and I can't recall ever facing hostility as an expat. I tend to keep a low profile, avoiding drawing much attention to myself.

In the event of a significant economic downturn, the overall safety situation might worsen, with an increase in robberies likely due to heightened desperation among people.

I concur with the perspective that expats should exercise consideration. Boasting about the affordability of living here or detailing extravagant dining experiences may elicit resentment from locals, especially considering the current high cost of living for Argentinians, which is expected to rise further as subsidies are phased out.

Given these circumstances, my advice is to maintain a low profile.

I don't know where you're getting this information, but I respectfully disagree.
In my building with 50 apartments, I've developed connections with most of my neighbors. I'm acquainted with numerous people within a few blocks, recognize everyone in the local shops I frequent daily, and have forged friendships with many Argentines in the various bars I visit. I receive greetings from friends and neighbors on the street regularly. The bar I frequent the most even has a WhatsApp chat with 70 members, predominantly Argentines, whom I know personally, and I'm invited to all their gatherings and events.
I've never encountered hostile looks, comments, or any negativity from people in the street, restaurants, or other places in San Telmo due to my origin.
If you're up for it, why not join me for a day or two to stroll around San Telmo? I'll gladly treat you to a couple of beers and introduce you to the many friendly faces I've come to know. Interestingly, I've faced more challenges with fellow expats than with the locals.

I appreciate your response!
It's completely normal to have moments of paranoia, especially in uncertain times. If you ever feel that vibe from strangers, it might be more about their general mood or concerns than anything directed specifically at expats.
Regarding the ability to spot foreigners, people's perceptions can vary widely. While some may claim to identify foreigners quickly, it's often more about cultural cues or subtle differences. In any case, it's crucial to focus on the positive relationships you've built with your neighbors and in the community.
I don't know where you're getting this information, but I respectfully disagree.
In my building with 50 apartments, I've developed connections with most of my neighbors. I'm acquainted with numerous people within a few blocks, recognize everyone in the local shops I frequent daily, and have forged friendships with many Argentines in the various bars I visit. I receive greetings from friends and neighbors on the street regularly. The bar I frequent the most even has a WhatsApp chat with 70 members, predominantly Argentines, whom I know personally, and I'm invited to all their gatherings and events.
I've never encountered hostile looks, comments, or any negativity from people in the street, restaurants, or other places in San Telmo due to my origin.
If you're up for it, why not join me for a day or two to stroll around San Telmo? I'll gladly treat you to a couple of beers and introduce you to the many friendly faces I've come to know. Interestingly, I've faced more challenges with fellow expats than with the locals.

It's disheartening to hear about such experiences, and it's unfortunate that prejudice exists in various forms in different parts of the world. Cultural attitudes and biases can indeed be subtle and challenging to navigate.
While personal anecdotes vary, it's essential to acknowledge and address such issues when they arise. Building genuine connections and friendships can be a positive force against prejudice, but it's also crucial to remain aware of potential challenges.
It's important to foster understanding and promote open dialogue to bridge gaps and overcome stereotypes. If you ever feel uncomfortable or encounter situations that are troubling, seeking support from a diverse and inclusive community can make a significant difference.

The entire premise of this discussion thread seems largely implausible. I've been here for the past 5 weeks and I have been all over town and experienced NONE of this.

The vast majority, approximately 99.9%, of locals neither distinguish nor can differentiate between an "expat" and any other foreign tourist—plain and simple.

Residents of Buenos Aires have been accustomed to a substantial influx of foreign tourists across various budget ranges for at least the past two decades. The economic impact generated by foreign tourism and transitory residents from abroad is warmly welcomed in neighborhoods such as San Telmo, Recoleta, Palermo, which has been a hub for foreigners for several decades.

The eastern side of Avenida 9 de Julio resembled a zombie apocalypse from March 2020 to November 2021 when the country was closed to any foreigner without a DNI. During this period, numerous businesses, some with a history of over 50 years, faced closure, highlighting the severe economic consequences of the absence of foreign visitors in the area.

Prejudice is real and very much alive in Argentina, i hope you never have to find out when the chips are down, all those so called argie friends will throw you under the bus.

I was here during the Falklands conflict and i was the only one with a direct family member fighting the Brits , never the less, when the time came i was the imperialist Yankee that in their eye it was the same as being a Brit.

If personal accounts are worth anything, i will tell you, don't be surprised if even your wife's argie family turns on you if things get bad enough.

Just for fun or as a social experiment , get drunk with an argie and bring up foreigners , you'll be surprised at the magnitude of prejudice existing. of course you'll be exempt because you are their ''friend'' , but as they say, you know , all the other foreigners....... not you , just the others lol

Not even in them hills of Kentucky( which they have a reputation) i've heard such blunt prejudice.

I'm glad to hear most of you never experienced this...... or maybe you are not reading it right , or perhaps it's all in my head, but certain attitudes are very inconspicuous for those of you not very deeply immersed in the culture.

Certainly, all the Argentinians I've encountered in my building and at the local shops seem to appreciate me. However, I can't shake off the feeling of a different vibe from strangers, although it might just be my own paranoia.

Contrary to the statement above claiming that 99% of people can't distinguish foreigners, my experience contradicts this. The Argentinos and particularly Brazilians I've interacted with often boast about their ability to identify a Yankee or gringo from a distance. Despite speaking Spanish with a flawless Porteño accent, some still assert that they can recognize my American background within a mere 5 seconds. I suspect it might be more of an ego thing for them.

Yeah if things get 2001 level bad I think a lot of naive folks in this thread are going to experience a darker side of the Argentina people they don't currently believe exists

Many people on the street tend to not look very happy or in a great mood. It is the typical Argentine "resting bitch face". caused by the general stress of moving about the city and dealing with the day-to-day crap. It does not mean they are disgusted by you though. Keep in mind they are going through 150% inflation.

Yeah if things get 2001 level bad I think a lot of naive folks in this thread are going to experience a darker side of the Argentina people they don't currently believe exists
To be fair, if you dropped the 2001 Corralito "bomb" on ANY first-world country society, you are going to see some scary and dark things. That's nothing special to Argentina. What is crazy special about Argentina is that they returned to normal conditions. I was here during that mess. The relative calm in the streets just like now. Americans are savages. They would have blown up all the banks if they devalued their currency. Look at the amount of guns and bombs they have in the USA. They would have never recovered from it. Argentines are civilized people.

Stay optimistic and keep a low profile walking around.

If you live in San Telmo and don't believe more and more locals aren't looking at you with hate and thinking about the US dollars you are earning and stealing their rentals you are in denial. All the best wish you well but you are living in a make-believe fairyland. I'm not saying you are in any danger as you are NOT. You can't have a society have 145% annual inflation and see the cost of everything going up and then see expats complaining how expensive BA is going to become and not feel some resentment towards them.

Of course people in San Telmo are resenting you all. As others mentioned, it is turning into Disneyland! The streets are all clogged with tourists. The locals are complaining about it already.

If you live in San Telmo and don't believe more and more locals aren't looking at you with hate and thinking about the US dollars you are earning and stealing their rentals you are in denial. All the best wish you well but you are living in a make-believe fairyland. I'm not saying you are in any danger as you are NOT. You can't have a society have 145% annual inflation and see the cost of everything going up and then see expats complaining how expensive BA is going to become and not feel some resentment towards them.

Of course people in San Telmo are resenting you all. As others mentioned, it is turning into Disneyland! The streets are all clogged with tourists. The locals are complaining about it already.
Thank you for being honest as I think many expats are many times living in denial. I'm NOT saying locals aren't friendly because they certainly are. But as a 50% Mexican American citizen, I see plenty of ignorant ugly American tourists. The sad part is they don't see they are ugly.

I've spent a significant amount of time in South America, and I've observed that the 'Ugly American' stereotype, along with its counterpart, the 'Economic Refugee American,' is generally met with disdain. This is precisely why I consciously steer clear of individuals embodying these stereotypes. All my friends in South America, including those in Argentina, are Latinos, and they candidly share their less-than-flattering opinions about my fellow countrymen.

It's a case of reaping what you sow. Act like a stereotypical gringo, and you'll likely be treated accordingly. Conversely, if you approach interactions with humility and respect, your experience will be far more positive. I've never faced any prejudice due to my U.S. nationality here. So, there's no need to worry about it, especially in the metropolitan areas of Argentina. While concerns might arise in rural Colombia, the cosmopolitan regions of Argentina generally do not hold nationality against you.

I'm constantly mindful (and apprehensive) that this scenario might unfold as conditions deteriorate. People, however, exhibit interesting dynamics. The conceptual notion of a "foreigner" differs from interacting with someone you can see and converse with directly. I can envision that an extreme situation like war could swiftly alter perspectives, drawing parallels to the shifts observed in the U.S. after the Twin Towers were attacked.

Despite these considerations, I haven't encountered any negative reactions or faced issues for being a foreigner—at least not yet.

I totally agree with Vino in their comments. Peel away the thin veneer of civility, and people can quickly turn against you. The social divides in Argentina are vast and are likely to intensify significantly in the near future. I predict chaos and anarchy under Milei. He will make Argentina worse.

Thank you for being honest as I think many expats are many times living in denial. I'm NOT saying locals aren't friendly because they certainly are. But as a 50% Mexican American citizen, I see plenty of ignorant ugly American tourists. The sad part is they don't see they are ugly.

I've spent a significant amount of time in South America, and I've observed that the 'Ugly American' stereotype, along with its counterpart, the 'Economic Refugee American,' is generally met with disdain. This is precisely why I consciously steer clear of individuals embodying these stereotypes. All my friends in South America, including those in Argentina, are Latinos, and they candidly share their less-than-flattering opinions about my fellow countrymen.

It's a case of reaping what you sow. Act like a stereotypical gringo, and you'll likely be treated accordingly. Conversely, if you approach interactions with humility and respect, your experience will be far more positive. I've never faced any prejudice due to my U.S. nationality here. So, there's no need to worry about it, especially in the metropolitan areas of Argentina. While concerns might arise in rural Colombia, the cosmopolitan regions of Argentina generally do not hold nationality against you.
This is spot on target and good advice in good times and bad times. I've been here for almost 27 years. From the get-go, our approach has been respect, integration, kindness, interest in the culture, and knowing the rules. Make friends with Argentines and don't just hang out with expats. They have a great sense of humor (they have to). As friends, they are as loyal as they come. Only once in all that time was I ever put on the spot about being from the USA.

Relax, folks. Speaking as an Argentinean myself, I can assure you that we are quite welcoming to foreigners. While there might be some underlying resentment or frustration towards tourists, it never escalates to violence. Take Southern Spain, for instance—there are many ex-pats living there, referred to as "pansies" by locals in a less-than-friendly manner, yet it never results in violence. Similar situations occur in places like Iceland or Barcelona, where the tourist influx disrupts local life.

Despite complaints about expats and tourists, it never reaches the point of actual violence or outright rudeness towards those speaking a different language. There's no room for that in the modern world, not even in La Ciudad de la Furia.

I've been part of conversations with my friends regarding foreigners who arrive in Argentina and opt to settle here. Among them, there's a shared concern primarily centered around the idea that these newcomers might strain local resources. Yet, in my experience, I haven't observed any hostility towards them—only genuine worries. I hold the belief that the Argentine population, on the whole, is unlikely to harbor negative feelings towards expatriates or foreigners, understanding that they aren't responsible for the economic policies being enacted.

Back