Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Would you move a family to Argentina...?

I totally agree with you. There are a lot of interesting posters on this board. Lots of good information as well from our melting pot of knowledge on Argentina.

I do think it still matters even though it's a 2 year posting. 2 years isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things in Argentina. However, 2 years is a LONG time if you have an unhappy spouse that is uprooting her life with 2 young kids if it's not something they understand what they are getting themselves into.

So I think the advice is all sound and valid that people are giving him. My advice would be a LOT different if the OP was a single guy with no wife and kids. Then I'd say take all the "adventure" you want and go for it.

But life drastically changes once you have kids. Granted they are at a young age where they won't be as affected but still it can be a culture shock for a spouse to be in a first world environment to an almost third world environment with the way some things work in Argentina.

Under that situation, 2 years can be an eternity. 2 years isn't going to make or break anyone. But it's still wise to listen to all the information posted. Especially when the OP posted really really false information like "the post office will buy back my pesos at the official rate".

I know some ex-pats that got sent to Argentina from the USA or Australia and they moved down with their spouse and kids. And let me tell you, some of them felt like the 2 or 3 year assignment was like a prison sentence counting down the days. LOL.

It's a drastic culture shock dealing with all of the restrictions and controls but even everyday stuff that we're used to like waiting in line at the bank, or trying to pick up a simple package at the post office without getting extorted, going to the grocery store and not having a huge line, etc.

The OP is wise to just take in all the information and it would be nice if he stopped by to post an update what he decided.
Fair point er..I was working and can honesly say the 8 years flew by in the blink of an eye, problems and all...sitting at home counting the hours till hubbie comes back is a different story and one Im glad I didnt have to face as with work comes a social life, friends etc which are generally hard things to come by in any new culture without a serious grasp of the language. Just don't think from the OP that he's overly interested in the hard earned advice being metered out by you experts which is his perrogative as we all tend to learn by experience not words!

Fair point er..I was working and can honesly say the 8 years flew by in the blink of an eye, problems and all...sitting at home counting the hours till hubbie comes back is a different story and one Im glad I didnt have to face as with work comes a social life, friends etc which are generally hard things to come by in any new culture without a serious grasp of the language. Just don't think from the OP that he's overly interested in the hard earned advice being metered out by you experts which is his perrogative as we all tend to learn by experience not words!
Absolutely! Time flies by so quickly. I think that holds true no matter what country you are in. However, I can honestly say that you can forgot just how inefficient of a place Argentina is after living there for so many years.

After moving back to the USA life just seems TOO EASY now. LOL. I mean everything works so well. You go to the grocery store and everything you could possibly want is there, no lines. You go mail a letter and it's quick and easy or just buy stamps from the machine. You get packages at the door daily with no problems. Traffic is such a breeze with respectful drivers. Banking seems too good to be true after dealing with the horrible banks in Argentina.

Now I wonder how I put up with all the red tape so many years. LOL. Don't get me wrong...I still love Argentina but boy is it an inefficient place.

Can I say a big virtual THANK YOU to all the board members who have helped in responding to my original question about relocating my family to Buenos Aires. I never imagined it would illicit such a broad spread of responses in such a short space of time and as such demonstrates the popularity and power of this ExPat Group and the internet as a whole. :D

I appreciate that most of the responses are warning us against our trip to Argentina however it would appear that a lot of those are coming from people near the centre of Buenos Aires which has a range of different issues to a 'leafy' suburb in Greater Buenos Aires it would seem. Also many people seem to think that we'd struggle on a salary of 18K paid in pesos (this is after tax) however we would have no bills to pay, live in secure furnished accommodation with a range of other incentives, not to mention the opportunity of my wife getting work albeit on a local salary. We'd also be getting at least an annual review of salary.

We've basically decided that we probably won't be able to save in Argentina but you won't be able to put a price on the memories and experiences we would gain as a consequence. What is the value of your children growing up bilingual in the early formative years of their life? I had a quick look at some of the costs of visiting an estancia (Englishgaucho)for a few days at a cost of $650 pp for three days including horse riding, accommodation and pick up. £85 or $139 US dollars. That seems remarkably cheap and the sort of thing which we can spend those pesos on. Lots of trips up to Tigre too. Eating out most nights. Holidays in Mendoza and Cordoba sampling the wine, food and fresh air.

Thank to fifs2 for her comment about it being a 2 year appointment and time flying. I like her go getting attitude as well as that of davonz and snowwhitebum! Thank you to steve regarding his long and wise posts as well as elqueso and all the others. If i could buy you all a beer I would (how much is a quilmes at the moment?!)

Sometimes I wish the Internet hadn't been invented however, as it seems to add another layer of complexity to making any decision. Everything these days seems to involves an ever increasing range of possibilities. Just look at the average shampoo section in a supermarket and compare it to 20 years ago!

Thank you again and I'll continue to respond and post if this snowballs even more!

Can I say a big virtual THANK YOU to all the board members who have helped in responding to my original question about relocating my family to Buenos Aires. I never imagined it would illicit such a broad spread of responses in such a short space of time and as such demonstrates the popularity and power of this ExPat Group and the internet as a whole. :D

I appreciate that most of the responses are warning us against our trip to Argentina however it would appear that a lot of those are coming from people near the centre of Buenos Aires which has a range of different issues to a 'leafy' suburb in Greater Buenos Aires it would seem. Also many people seem to think that we'd struggle on a salary of 18K paid in pesos (this is after tax) however we would have no bills to pay, live in secure furnished accommodation with a range of other incentives, not to mention the opportunity of my wife getting work albeit on a local salary. We'd also be getting at least an annual review of salary.

We've basically decided that we probably won't be able to save in Argentina but you won't be able to put a price on the memories and experiences we would gain as a consequence. What is the value of your children growing up bilingual in the early formative years of their life? I had a quick look at some of the costs of visiting an estancia (Englishgaucho)for a few days at a cost of $650 pp for three days including horse riding, accommodation and pick up. £85 or $139 US dollars. That seems remarkably cheap and the sort of thing which we can spend those pesos on. Lots of trips up to Tigre too. Eating out most nights. Holidays in Mendoza and Cordoba sampling the wine, food and fresh air.

Thank to fifs2 for her comment about it being a 2 year appointment and time flying. I like her go getting attitude as well as that of davonz and snowwhitebum! Thank you to steve regarding his long and wise posts as well as elqueso and all the others. If i could buy you all a beer I would (how much is a quilmes at the moment?!)

Sometimes I wish the Internet hadn't been invented however, as it seems to add another layer of complexity to making any decision. Everything these days seems to involves an ever increasing range of possibilities. Just look at the average shampoo section in a supermarket and compare it to 20 years ago!

Thank you again and I'll continue to respond and post if this snowballs even more!
I don't think people are necessarily saying you will "struggle" on that salary and especially with your company paying many of your expenses.

More so people are asking you to reflect on the risk/rewards of a move across the world based on everything that is going on in Argentina.

At least now (in light of your last post) it seems clearer that this potential move is something that you view as "adventure" vs. potential career advancement. So that's good if you figure out that portion of why you are doing this.

Absolutely Argentina is a beautiful country and no one can dispute that fact. No doubt you will have many beautiful memories and experiences so that part is true.

No one knows what your comfort zone is and also what your savings or financial situation is. If you can comfortably afford "not being able to save for two years" then obviously this is something that might be worth it for you and your family.

Just go into the move with your eyes wide open on everything that is happening in Argentina right now. Many times it's difficult to clearly get a true picture what is going on without being there on the ground and experiencing it.

Some of the things I experienced there, I'd tell friends or family in the States or Europe and they would have this incredulous look on their face like I was making it up.

But definitely if your spouse is on board with it knowing clearly what is going on in Argentina as well as you not jeopardizing your work potential or chances of coming back to a job in the UK when your stint in Argentina is over then it might make sense for you if you're still ok with the move after knowing all the potential risks.

Good luck.

I hope it is ok to post on this very old thread but I would love some advice if you all think it is wise to move to Argentina right now? I see you have a new President recently and I can't tell from the Press and posts on this board if he is good or bad for Argentina. Some people sounds like they love him and some people hate him.

I would be transferring in with my company. I would be making my same salary in the USA and they will give me a housing allowance. It sounds like on a USD salary I will live like a king but I am more worried about safety and security for my family. Do you all think it will be more unstable in the next few months? I read about increases in prices of utilities and transportation.

I would appreciate advice from those of you that live there and know the city well.

I hope it is ok to post on this very old thread but I would love some advice if you all think it is wise to move to Argentina right now? I see you have a new President recently and I can't tell from the Press and posts on this board if he is good or bad for Argentina. Some people sounds like they love him and some people hate him.

I would be transferring in with my company. I would be making my same salary in the USA and they will give me a housing allowance. It sounds like on a USD salary I will live like a king but I am more worried about safety and security for my family. Do you all think it will be more unstable in the next few months? I read about increases in prices of utilities and transportation.

I would appreciate advice from those of you that live there and know the city well.
I would avoid moving right now. The new President Milei is doing a terrible job. Poverty is at an all time high. You would have enough money and live well but no one knows how bad insecurity will be. Everyday there is more homeless on the streets sleeping in front of buildings. If you have kids this might not be good time. The next 3-4 months will be very bad. When would you be coming?

The new President is about 100 days in. You nailed it that some love him and some hate him. He got about 58% of the vote and his approval ratings are still around that so it seems like those of us that voted for him still approve and those that voted against him still hate him.

You doubt you can live like a king here if you're coming on USD executive salary. The most expensive part of that is housing but if they are covering your housing you are going to be set. I have a few friends that are in your position and they are living like Gods here. All making six figure incomes and housing paid for. I assume you are in oil or gas industry.

I don't think you will have issues with crime. It may go up but nothing you wouldn't be able to handle. Even after the corralito it was relatively safe here. Your kids are older so I think they will like it.

I would avoid moving right now. The new President Milei is doing a terrible job. Poverty is at an all time high. You would have enough money and live well but no one knows how bad insecurity will be. Everyday there is more homeless on the streets sleeping in front of buildings. If you have kids this might not be good time. The next 3-4 months will be very bad. When would you be coming?
I wouldn't necessarily say to avoid it. If you read the newspapers only you would think that BA would be a war zone but the reality is far from that. I was surprised my first trip as I expected things to be terrible with the poor economy but I was quite surprised. Recoleta was very upscale. My hotel was one of the best I have ever been to and it was business as usual and quite full.

Restaurants were all very busy. Cafes were full. If you avoid the downtown area you would not know there were protests. If you moved with your family and have a USD income you will probably have a high quality of life here.

I am an attorney and live on the East Coast and something nice is the time change is only 1 hour difference so I can easily work. Internet speeds are fast and stable. Nice restaurants. I find Buenos Aires to be safe and I have not experienced or witnessed any crime whatsoever anywhere

Back