Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Has anyone used the Uber Moto (Motorcycle) option instead of the Uber X?

Katherina

I was curious if anyone uses the Uber Moto option when they use Uber? I always thought it was for only mailing package which I have done before when I had some legal paperwork at my lawyer and she said told me I could send one to pick up the paperwork. It worked great! But I notice they have a "Moto" option and it says "Affordable motorcycle rides". The price is only a bit less than normal UberX prices. For example, for a specific ride it says 1,891 pesos for UberX or 1,181 for Moto option.

I would assume people do this option when traffic is really bad? It looks like a death wish riding a motorcycle here. I saw a taxi hit a motorcycle a few months ago. Do they bring a helmet for you? How does this work?

No I would never do this. I also witnessed several motorcycle accidents in BA over the years. I see people lane splitting and then wham as the cars don't stay in their lanes anyway. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents.

More options are being added. Cabify now allows Cabify Pet option to travel with pet or transport pet.

I was curious if anyone uses the Uber Moto option when they use Uber? I always thought it was for only mailing package which I have done before when I had some legal paperwork at my lawyer and she said told me I could send one to pick up the paperwork. It worked great! But I notice they have a "Moto" option and it says "Affordable motorcycle rides". The price is only a bit less than normal UberX prices. For example, for a specific ride it says 1,891 pesos for UberX or 1,181 for Moto option.

I would assume people do this option when traffic is really bad? It looks like a death wish riding a motorcycle here. I saw a taxi hit a motorcycle a few months ago. Do they bring a helmet for you? How does this work?
I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be in such a hurry that I'd voluntarily ride a motorcycle in Buenos Aires!

i would totally do it if i was on my own, just to have a weird story. in Thailand, 2 dudes riding a scooter was pretty commonplace. it looks weird to most of us USA folks, but around the world it's just economical. but yes, clutching-on to a moto driver would be hilarious (i did it in Phuket Thailand, but i was the driver so it was kind of fun to rent one, minus my buddy having to grab on to me and use his feet to push us up hills when the motor couldn't cut it!). that being said, i saw a scooter have to bail in Chacarita 2 months ago, and we ran to help him (luckily had gloves and a solid medical kit) but he was only scratched. i think a bus cut him off, so he laid his bike down, and the police 'took a report' - he had lots of people checking on him, which i liked. a lot of big cities, people would just drive/walk by unconcerned.

i would totally do it if i was on my own, just to have a weird story. in Thailand, 2 dudes riding a scooter was pretty commonplace. it looks weird to most of us USA folks, but around the world it's just economical. but yes, clutching-on to a moto driver would be hilarious (i did it in Phuket Thailand, but i was the driver so it was kind of fun to rent one, minus my buddy having to grab on to me and use his feet to push us up hills when the motor couldn't cut it!). that being said, i saw a scooter have to bail in Chacarita 2 months ago, and we ran to help him (luckily had gloves and a solid medical kit) but he was only scratched. i think a bus cut him off, so he laid his bike down, and the police 'took a report' - he had lots of people checking on him, which i liked. a lot of big cities, people would just drive/walk by unconcerned.
I don't think people are saying not to do it because of two dudes riding a scooter together. It's because they are crazy drivers in BA! I saw a motorcycle accident once in BA and since then I would never want to ride a motorcycle there. In Southeast Asia they are everywhere and they seem to navigate without accidents but in BA they are horrible drivers! Traffic is so chaotic!

Back