Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Has anyone applied and been approved for the Rentista visa?

note that the title of this is about Residency and not a Visa, although it is confusing at first regarding the distinction of residency/visa. see more updates about Cordoba Province Rentista residency process with Migraciones on the other thread:

note that the title of this is about Residency and not a Visa, although it is confusing at first regarding the distinction of residency/visa. see more updates about Cordoba Province Rentista residency process with Migraciones on the other thread:

Also lots of confusion on citizenship vs residency/immigration, an old one but a goodie on the censored forum.

Also lots of confusion on citizenship vs residency/immigration, an old one but a goodie on the censored forum.

What happened to that old forum? It used to have a lot of knowledgeable posts but seems like all just fight now. A shame.

It used to have a lot of knowledgeable posts
luckily earlyretirement and @God/moderators have been duplicating those useful posts here (although we still don't have a good system for marking the cross-posts). the old one is ran by a Russian dude named Igor who has some weird political/censorship issues, which is why earlyretirement was forced to make this new forum ExpatsBA.com

luckily earlyretirement and @God/moderators have been duplicating those useful posts here (although we still don't have a good system for marking the cross-posts). the old one is ran by a Russian dude named Igor who has some weird political/censorship issues, which is why earlyretirement was forced to make this new forum ExpatsBA.com
Oh wow. I get it now. It sounds like the owner of that old site is running off all the established members. I get it now.

the owner of that old site is running off all the established members
i didn't get censored (i would have at some point, perhaps) and i didn't get run-off, but when i found out that you weren't allowed to delete your profile on that site, i got .... offended? .... and messaged the owner Igor to remove all my information. i despise businesses that don't make it easy to delete accounts. i know it''s petty, but it's 2024 and it should be easy to remove information online.

note that the owner Igor said that he thought making a competing (not censored) forum for Buenos Aires was unethical: https://baexpats.org/threads/posts-...ted-on-another-forum.46603/page-2#post-441158

disagree. Igor didn't adapt to the times, and now he's increasingly irrelevant. i hope BuySellBA makes billions, and i hope this forum is the go-to for Argentina and surrounding countries

update on a Rentista Residency that i witnessed get approved: based on the questions from the old forum in 2022 here,

@alby One of the many serial liars at Migraciones told me initially that there would be problem: that they would only issue a residency for the time remaining on the lease you show them (in your example, for 9-10 months). I am not sure is really true in practice. But they do scrutinize the dates and length of the rental contract and will question you on it. If such things are possible in your jurisdiction, you should write your rental contract to be for twelve months with an automatic month-by-month extension. Migraciones will not understand what this means, and you will have to explain it to them.
correct. this is still the case in Sep2024, at least under the Cordoba Delegation.

@alby As the process will take years, by the time anybody actually starts reviewing your documentation it will be completely out of date. You may already be on your second tenant (and a completely new rental contract) before you even meet the requirements to get to first base, namely, getting your application lodged and your first precaria issued. By the time anybody starts looking in detail at your case, you will probably have had three different tenants and two rental contracts after the one you applied with.
not in Cordoba, where you just need to deposit one month of 5x salary into BancoNacion savings account (about 1,200,000 Pesos, then) and write a letter explaining the monthly income cannot all be deposited since it is fixed, monthly, and subject to the required 1-year written rental lease (they will initially insist you need to deposit 12 months of income at once to get approved...this is untrue if you keep pressing them and explaining)

it doesn't take years anymore, i personally can confirm owning a house and doing the Rentier Residency is about 3 months from the first in-person appointment in Cordoba, to get a Temporary Residence approval (and 15-days-later DNI creation process). the correct part about the previous forum posts is that the Residency is only going to match the Rental Contract, so by the time you submit everything it will be less than a year, in the case i saw the documents, it was a Residency of 7 months only. but still enough to use 6 months of Tourist Visa, 3 months of Precaria, and 7 months of Residency to IN THEORY apply for citizenship after a full year in-country, at the nearby Federal Court. i will also be tracking this process, and can answer questions for any of you guys' family/friends who are trying Residency in Argentina 2024/2025 :)

update on a Rentista Residency that i witnessed get approved: based on the questions from the old forum in 2022 here,

correct. this is still the case in Sep2024, at least under the Cordoba Delegation.

not in Cordoba, where you just need to deposit one month of 5x salary into BancoNacion savings account (about 1,200,000 Pesos, then) and write a letter explaining the monthly income cannot all be deposited since it is fixed, monthly, and subject to the required 1-year written rental lease (they will initially insist you need to deposit 12 months of income at once to get approved...this is untrue if you keep pressing them and explaining)

it doesn't take years anymore, i personally can confirm owning a house and doing the Rentier Residency is about 3 months from the first in-person appointment in Cordoba, to get a Temporary Residence approval (and 15-days-later DNI creation process). the correct part about the previous forum posts is that the Residency is only going to match the Rental Contract, so by the time you submit everything it will be less than a year, in the case i saw the documents, it was a Residency of 7 months only. but still enough to use 6 months of Tourist Visa, 3 months of Precaria, and 7 months of Residency to IN THEORY apply for citizenship after a full year in-country, at the nearby Federal Court. i will also be tracking this process, and can answer questions for any of you guys' family/friends who are trying Residency in Argentina 2024/2025 :)
Thank you for the updates. @StatusNomadicus how many hours do you think you have spent on this all in? Just your best case estimate? I don't know why the government makes this so difficult. Makes no sense.

well, i research things to death, for most undertakings, so i'm a bit of a weirdo that likes to understand the 'why' of everything i do - and i want to document everything for my friends/family coming here...so i'm adding extra time. but something crazy like 200 hours maybe? but i'm also the psycho that feeds his dog raw bones/organs, and doesn't drink hard alcohol or smoke, and i had chickens for organic eggs...but A LOT of time. but i love reading about laws and what other people do. and i like helping, so if your friends/family ever need help with the process, i can at least get them up to the point i am at (my girlfriend has a DNI now, but i don't yet)

well, i research things to death, for most undertakings, so i'm a bit of a weirdo that likes to understand the 'why' of everything i do - and i want to document everything for my friends/family coming here...so i'm adding extra time. but something crazy like 200 hours maybe? but i'm also the psycho that feeds his dog raw bones/organs, and doesn't drink hard alcohol or smoke, and i had chickens for organic eggs...but A LOT of time. but i love reading about laws and what other people do. and i like helping, so if your friends/family ever need help with the process, i can at least get them up to the point i am at (my girlfriend has a DNI now, but i don't yet)
Thanks for putting in all the time and research. I can tell you do a lot of research. I didn't have the patience for this when I got my DNI. I was told that I would spin my wheels and it would be cheaper just to pay an immigration lawyer so that's what I did. 200 hours is insane. Great news about your girlfriend! How come she got hers sooner than you?

200 hours? Wow! That is dedication but you will be satisfied if you get it. It sounds like you know the process well if your girlfriend got it already. I talked to an immigration attorney and it sounds like half the battle is just paperwork. Thanks.

How come she got hers sooner than you?
because i went first, was the guinea pig, so everything she had to do (up to this point) was already known, and thus faster for her time on the 'unknown' things. and at this juncture, i'm trying the Rentista Savings account (still very uncertain, and i've never read if anyone has actually gotten approved), whereas she owns a house and went the route of the traditional/easier Rentista (which i think is funny, because with a mortgage on a house, you really are just breaking-even a lot and don't really have the 2k/month income...yet i legitimately had 40k dollars isolated in a HYSA that pays 5% interest and gives monthly automatic payments, specifically set-up for immigration to Argentina...yet i'm the one being scrutinized, ahahaha)

half the battle is just paperwork
i paid for a couple consults with Residency lawyers, and they all have different opinions. if you don't want to pay the 6,500 Dollars to @Bajo_cero2 you can just follow these forums and be patient. i think it's similar to buying an apartment/house/property without a Realtor in the USA - usually just having a Real Estate Lawyer and a Title Company you trust are the most important parts, but for the first purchase or people who get intimidated easily, the Immigration Lawyers or Realtors will charge you a hefty fee to 'hold your hand' and always be there to comfort you on the next step. i would never attempt this type of thing without the vast knowledge on the internet (although finding it, and deciding what is already outdated is the hard part) - thanks fo forums like these by earlyretirement, i suspect thousands of people can save thousands of dollars on lawyers/etc.

if anyone wants to work on an "Article" section with me, let me know if that's something interesting. i think the old censored forum is off to a good start, if you look at the "Articles" section:

Articles
A Collection of Articles, Interviews, and Other Resources.
  • Immigration For Dummies
  • Guide to Housing in BsAs
...but imagine if it were more of an 'updated-frequently guide for the most common things you'll do in Argentina' - we could have a continually crowd-sourced way of keeping things accurate, sort of like a Wiki about things like Tourist Visa Extension, Transitory Residency for 6 months as a student, Temporary Residency for 1 year as ________, Marriage to Argentine, obtaining DNI, getting Passport, etc.

i was going to write-up something and propose it to the Mod(s), but i also am not an expert or a website genius. but i think a one-stop-shop mindset for this forum could help people AND make earlyretirement more Ad revenue and traffic to his BsAs businesses :) win/win

because i went first, was the guinea pig, so everything she had to do (up to this point) was already known, and thus faster for her time on the 'unknown' things. and at this juncture, i'm trying the Rentista Savings account (still very uncertain, and i've never read if anyone has actually gotten approved), whereas she owns a house and went the route of the traditional/easier Rentista (which i think is funny, because with a mortgage on a house, you really are just breaking-even a lot and don't really have the 2k/month income...yet i legitimately had 40k dollars isolated in a HYSA that pays 5% interest and gives monthly automatic payments, specifically set-up for immigration to Argentina...yet i'm the one being scrutinized, ahahaha)

i paid for a couple consults with Residency lawyers, and they all have different opinions. if you don't want to pay the 6,500 Dollars to @Bajo_cero2 you can just follow these forums and be patient. i think it's similar to buying an apartment/house/property without a Realtor in the USA - usually just having a Real Estate Lawyer and a Title Company you trust are the most important parts, but for the first purchase or people who get intimidated easily, the Immigration Lawyers or Realtors will charge you a hefty fee to 'hold your hand' and always be there to comfort you on the next step. i would never attempt this type of thing without the vast knowledge on the internet (although finding it, and deciding what is already outdated is the hard part) - thanks fo forums like these by earlyretirement, i suspect thousands of people can save thousands of dollars on lawyers/etc.

if anyone wants to work on an "Article" section with me, let me know if that's something interesting. i think the old censored forum is off to a good start, if you look at the "Articles" section:

...but imagine if it were more of an 'updated-frequently guide for the most common things you'll do in Argentina' - we could have a continually crowd-sourced way of keeping things accurate, sort of like a Wiki about things like Tourist Visa Extension, Transitory Residency for 6 months as a student, Temporary Residency for 1 year as ________, Marriage to Argentine, obtaining DNI, getting Passport, etc.

i was going to write-up something and propose it to the Mod(s), but i also am not an expert or a website genius. but i think a one-stop-shop mindset for this forum could help people AND make earlyretirement more Ad revenue and traffic to his BsAs businesses :) win/win
Sounds like a good idea @StatusNomadicus . I had lunch with @earlyretirement a few months ago. He told me that he didn't make this website for ad revenue or traffic or to make money. Only to share valuable information so I'm sure if you do a write-up and it's helpful he would post it.

Sounds like a great idea! Seems like so many things change there over time so good to have a place to easily find it.

Back