Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Visas How complicated is it to obtain residency in Argentina?

Currently, something seems to be systematically dysfunctional with Migraciónes. After a year of stasis, I decided to use two (useless) gestores and I made a few inquiries to equally useless 'immigration' attorneys. Despite cost not being important, nobody made any effort. It was as if they knew that working with Migraciónes is futile. So, with no criminal record and two sources of federal income my Radex status has been all green check marks and "in the process of Supervision" for well over a year. All they do is renew the precaria. I'm on my 9th.

I made the first bank deposit as required, but not having received the visa / DNI as a result of doing so, I won't make any further deposits unless told to do so. I'll just stay here as Dr. C. Rubilar suggests and simply pay an overstay fee if and when I decide to leave.
This sounds about right. I have 2 friends who are going through this process and they say almost verbatim the same thing as this above. About being stuck with the green check mark for a year but not proceeding past that. Makes me not even want to try and I'm just making true vacation trips every 3 months which shouldn't be a problem.

This sounds about right. I have 2 friends who are going through this process and they say almost verbatim the same thing as this above. About being stuck with the green check mark for a year but not proceeding past that. Makes me not even want to try and I'm just making true vacation trips every 3 months which shouldn't be a problem.
It sounds like many foreigners end up like this American.

What about the Digital Nomad visa?

No it's not worth it. I posted a ton of information on the Digital Nomad visa for Argentina here:

It's a TON of paperwork and Apostilles and bank statements and fees all for 180 days and then you can renew for 180 days again. But no one I talk to does that. Argentina you can just overstay and pay a penalty or just do legitimate traveling every 3 months on a border run. Some people say one is better than another but people have been doing this method for decades. I don't think it's worth the hassle of applying for the Digital Nomad visa in Argentina.

I'm applying for residency here since I'm married to an Argentine. I sent my fingerprints to the U.S. for a background check, but I haven't received any updates yet. Is there a way to check the status of that? I understand that mail can take time, but I'm feeling anxious about it.Also, can I start the RADEX process now, or do I need to wait until the background check has been apostilled and everything is finalized?
Anyway, I will read the posts in this thread in detail.

It would be much faster to fly back to the US to do this 😏 However, the cost and time of travel may not be feasible or practical. It's best to explore all options and choose the most efficient path forward, even if it takes a bit longer.
Are you aware of how long it typically takes to complete this process from Argentina? I've been living here for a while, so I would rather wait it out if the timeframe isn't too lengthy.

Are you aware of how long it typically takes to complete this process from Argentina? I've been living here for a while, so I would rather wait it out if the timeframe isn't too lengthy.
I’m not sure about the process here, but I completed mine in the U.S. before relocating. It only took about a week there. Do you have any family members in the U.S. who could receive the documents for you?

So happy to hear @Jakoval about Citizenship process. I have had permanent residency for over a decade. I could get my Citizenship here but never bothered with it. Other than being able to vote and getting another passport is there any other benefit?

Very interesting reading on this thread. Silly question from a newbie but what are the advantages of Argentine citizenship, besides a good passport?
I've had my residency for 15 years. When I recently mentioned to the missus about Citizenship she said ''Forget it. You're British what on earth do you want Argentine citizenship for?''.
She's right there are no advantages whatsoever....just hassle.

I've had my residency for 15 years. When I recently mentioned to the missus about Citizenship she said ''Forget it. You're British what on earth do you want Argentine citizenship for?''.
Your wife sounds like my wife! So many that I know that have permanent residency here never end up going for full Citizenship here. Maybe that will change in the future but I know many that don't bother with getting a passport here. I see more talk online about second citizenships. My kids both have dual citizenship.

I don't get this craze with people wanting multiple passports. It seems like the only people that are rushing to do this are people that are criminals worrying about some potential issue or people trying to dodge US taxes
this is a very stupid conclusion. why not research why instead of assuming people are wanting to be international criminals? what a strange way to analyze reality, and the fellow humans around you. you think i'm a criminal because i want multiple passports? yet you haven't read anything written by SovereignMan or InternationalMan or NomadCapitalist....weird. i can't imagine being so arrogant about something i have no clue about.

no one is "rushing" to do it; it's a long-term diversification plan that i've considered since 2010. is that "rushing" in your infantile perception of life?

1. Snowden could have traveled without getting blocked by the USA and stuck in Russia: https://www.schiffsovereign.com/lifestyle-design/the-best-second-passport-for-edward-snowden-12191/

2. https://www.schiffsovereign.com/passport-comparison-tool/

3. https://internationalman.com/articles/doug-casey-on-second-passports/

Why are the immigration lawyers here so bad in Argentina?
all i can say is: this is an Argentina thing, in EVERY single aspect of life. people will make YOU work to pay them money.

from what i read, it's not common and has very few benefits (no DNI, no path to citizenship), and other countries have way better DN visas. @Digital Nomad is spot-on

''Forget it. You're British what on earth do you want Argentine citizenship for?''.
Edward Snowden had a different experience when his country tried to imprison him for life. Julian Assange with a Brazilian passport may have not been imprisoned for so many years, and extradited, either. Diversification is good in all facets of life :)

I know many that don't bother with getting a passport here. I see more talk online about second citizenships. My kids both have dual citizenship.
for these talks, though, Citizenship and Passport are talking about the same thing

I don't think people understand the reasons why one would want multiple passports. @StatusNomadicus laid out some possible reasons. Most people just look at it as a hassle but agree it is beneficial and no downside at all with having another passport if possible. Most people aren't going to do anything like Edward Snowden or Assange but then again with the way the world is working you never know!

I read that the IRS if you're not paying what they think is correct, they will work with the government to revoke your US passport. I'm not sure if this is a rumor or the truth but that itself would be one reason why you might want to have another. Even if you think your paying the correct taxes and they say you aren't it would be horrible not to be able to leave the country.

Probably a very similar attitude for many that are married to Argentines. For many, permanent residency is enough. I never got Citizenship here although I could. Not worried about having an Argentine passport. Edward Snowden I ain't. :ROFLMAO:

It seems like so many people trying to charge for information. It is funny how this guy wants to charge to help and he won't even give his name. That tells you how shady this entire charge to get residency works here.

It seems like so many people trying to charge for information. It is funny how this guy wants to charge to help and he won't even give his name. That tells you how shady this entire charge to get residency works here.

I listened to that before and the entire thing is strange. Wanting to charge for a consultation with no website, no information, no name. I get privacy but there is a big group on X charging people for services and they have no track record and totally anonymous. No thanks.

Even chatting with immigration lawyers they say it is not quick or easy but this podcast makes it sound like it's a walk in the park. This guy on the podcast is saying he went from tourist to citizen in 2 years without going through the DNI process.

I don't have any problem with consultants but typically if they advertise and there is some nameless person it usually means they don't want to pay taxes or have some reason to not display the name or their company.

I don't think people understand the reasons why one would want multiple passports. @StatusNomadicus laid out some possible reasons. Most people just look at it as a hassle but agree it is beneficial and no downside at all with having another passport if possible. Most people aren't going to do anything like Edward Snowden or Assange but then again with the way the world is working you never know!

I read that the IRS if you're not paying what they think is correct, they will work with the government to revoke your US passport. I'm not sure if this is a rumor or the truth but that itself would be one reason why you might want to have another. Even if you think your paying the correct taxes and they say you aren't it would be horrible not to be able to leave the country.
Different people definitely have their own unique reasons why they want multiple passports. I have an Argie friend who has both AR and IT passports and is married to a US citizen. Now he has 3 passports namely AR, IT and US. About two years ago Spain passed a law nicknamed Ley de Nietos for children and grandchildren of Spaniards to apply for Spanish citizenship so he's going through that process now to get SP citizenship. I asked him why he wanted the SP passport since he already has IT one and he can live/work anywhere in the EU already. He said, "Well, because passports are like Pokemon so you just need to catch them all if you can" or something along that line LOL.

I have a couple of reasons of my own for wanting to have AR passport but the main reason is an ease of traveling especially to the EU and UK if I want to. People with powerful passports probably have no clue how complicated and expensive it is for weak passport holders to get Schengen and UK visas. Heck many of them probably don't know what Schengen visa is. In order to apply for the Schengen, UK or US visa, you need to provide some of these documents:

- Paychecks (at least 3 or 6 months I am not sure now. So that means if you're not employed full time, you might not get the visa).
- Travel insurance (coverage at least 30K euro for Schengen).
- Letter from the company certifying that you've been employed with them (or proof of being a business owner).
- Flight and hotel reservations.
- Travel itinerary if you plan to travel to several countries (esp in the Schengen area).
- Bank books to show you have sufficient funds to cover your trip.

These are some of the required documents. There are more docs required if you travel with a minor under 18, you need certain docs, application form, photo etc etc, not to mention you need to get the appointment beforehand and probably take a day off to do it oh and the fee. In terms of fee, US visa is the most worthwhile when it comes to the visa validity period. If you get it, you most likely get the 10-year visa. Schengen is the stingiest visa of all because if your trip is for 14 days, you're likely to be given 14 days of visa (no grace period provided in case you miss a flight or something happens and your trip needs to be extended under whatever unfortunate circumstances). UK visa is the most expensive of them all and they charge for every single turn you take. I remember I had to get the UK visa (work related thank god so I was reimbursed) several years ago and you are given options like 6, 12, 24 months etc. I had to get the 24 month option and it cost around 500 dollars-ish if memory serves. The visa fee itself was less than half of the amount. The expedite fee cost more than the visa because if you don't expedite it, it will take one month to get the visa. If you have time to wait but need to use your passport while waiting for the visa, you can do that for a fee. If all the appointment slots are full, you can walk in and wait for no shows (of course for a fee as well).

Need I say more? :ROFLMAO:

Different people definitely have their own unique reasons why they want multiple passports. I have an Argie friend who has both AR and IT passports and is married to a US citizen. Now he has 3 passports namely AR, IT and US. About two years ago Spain passed a law nicknamed Ley de Nietos for children and grandchildren of Spaniards to apply for Spanish citizenship so he's going through that process now to get SP citizenship. I asked him why he wanted the SP passport since he already has IT one and he can live/work anywhere in the EU already. He said, "Well, because passports are like Pokemon so you just need to catch them all if you can" or something along that line LOL.

I have a couple of reasons of my own for wanting to have AR passport but the main reason is an ease of traveling especially to the EU and UK if I want to. People with powerful passports probably have no clue how complicated and expensive it is for weak passport holders to get Schengen and UK visas. Heck many of them probably don't know what Schengen visa is. In order to apply for the Schengen, UK or US visa, you need to provide some of these documents:

- Paychecks (at least 3 or 6 months I am not sure now. So that means if you're not employed full time, you might not get the visa).
- Travel insurance (coverage at least 30K euro for Schengen).
- Letter from the company certifying that you've been employed with them (or proof of being a business owner).
- Flight and hotel reservations.
- Travel itinerary if you plan to travel to several countries (esp in the Schengen area).
- Bank books to show you have sufficient funds to cover your trip.

These are some of the required documents. There are more docs required if you travel with a minor under 18, you need certain docs, application form, photo etc etc, not to mention you need to get the appointment beforehand and probably take a day off to do it oh and the fee. In terms of fee, US visa is the most worthwhile when it comes to the visa validity period. If you get it, you most likely get the 10-year visa. Schengen is the stingiest visa of all because if your trip is for 14 days, you're likely to be given 14 days of visa (no grace period provided in case you miss a flight or something happens and your trip needs to be extended under whatever unfortunate circumstances). UK visa is the most expensive of them all and they charge for every single turn you take. I remember I had to get the UK visa (work related thank god so I was reimbursed) several years ago and you are given options like 6, 12, 24 months etc. I had to get the 24 month option and it cost around 500 dollars-ish if memory serves. The visa fee itself was less than half of the amount. The expedite fee cost more than the visa because if you don't expedite it, it will take one month to get the visa. If you have time to wait but need to use your passport while waiting for the visa, you can do that for a fee. If all the appointment slots are full, you can walk in and wait for no shows (of course for a fee as well).

Need I say more? :ROFLMAO:
Thanis for sharing this. It does seem like now there is more of an emphasis for people to get multiple passports. I guess I should maybe try to get my Argentine passport since I've been living here more than 15 years. Can't hurt. Just didn't want the expense and hassles. Interesting about someone wanting Spanish and Italian passports.

Back